need help ripping to ipod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper need help ripping to ipod

The issue I am having is no sound when ripping a movie for the ipod.. I have found the answer to be edit the audio format..

Now here's what I do not get.. I can not figure why when you select to rip for your ipod the default settings are not set up to do this without any editing.. This just seems to be what the programmers need to do..

Now is there any way I can set this up so every time we select rip to ipod we do not have to edit the audio settings..

Hi, if you let me know exactly which iPod profile you are using (there are 4 or 5), and what you are editing to, I will be able help you,
    It would be helpful if you could also supply a screemshot of the edit settings page (after editing),
    I presume you have tried saving the edited profile as "Default" & clicking OK,but I know this does not always work properly,

Comment

You should be able to set the default, see picture:

Update: I tried this with the iPod profile and it won't stick. I guess you'll need to set it each time.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 90312; 02-11-2011, 01:16 AM.
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

I assure you that I know how to make it stick as default, but I will tell you how it is done when I receive the information requested from donut 1953,

Comment

If you can make it stick on the “ipod mpeg4” profile by all means share that with me cause I can’t. It sticks for all others but not that one which is the likely one the OP uses for his iPod.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi,90312, I am happy to share this info with you, after you have set the iPod.mpeg4 profile as iPod.default (edited with your changes), and changed the common convert settings to stereo, you have to open the iPod.default file (located in appdata/roaming/dvdfab/profiles folder and change the following;-
            <device channel_ability="2">
            to;-<device channel_ability="0">
            Please see attatched iPod.default file

PS. I have spent a lot of time experimenting with many of DVDFab's conversion profiles and am happy to share the results (when they work)
            Attached Files

Comment

To Fabfanatic

Thank you very much for your help.. I was happy you posted the fix before I had to reply to your first post.. It did look like I was using mpeg4 conversion and changing the edit to stereo but it was not setting to default.. Your fix worked..

Now I would like to ask you a few questions.. I have used dvdfab for at least 4 years now and have ripped many movies to ipod and never experienced this problem.. There was a period from last July till now that I did not use this function because I lost my Ipod.. Why wouldn't the programmers have the default set properly without having to make the changes we made?? I can only imagine the people who buy this program expecting to rip to their ipod and they discover it does not work..

Also would like to know if 96kbps, which appears to be the default setting when switched to stereo, is good enough or should this be upped to 128kbps for better sound. If I go to 128kbps is there a way to set this as default by doing more editing of the profile..

Lastly will I have to change the profile with each upgrade or will the profile stay in effect..

Once again thank you

Comment

Originally posted by FABFANATIC View Post
                Hi,90312, I am happy to share this info with you, after you have set the iPod.mpeg4 profile as iPod.default (edited with your changes), and changed the common convert settings to stereo, you have to open the iPod.default file (located in appdata/roaming/dvdfab/profiles folder and change the following;-
                <device channel_ability="2">
                to;-<device channel_ability="0">
                Please see attatched iPod.default file

PS. I have spent a lot of time experimenting with many of DVDFab's conversion profiles and am happy to share the results (when they work)
                Learn something new every day! Thanks!

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                  Learn something new every day! Thanks!
                  Hi, 90312.I agree, you never stop learning,I wish I had got involved with PC's earlier than I did (only 2 years ago).
                  One thing I should mention is that if you try and set the ipod default back to 5.1 Multichannel, it will not work unless you either delete the iPod.default file or edit it back to as it was, (I always delete them first whenever I make a new default file)

Comment

to fabfanatic

To Fabfanatic

Thank you very much for your help.. I was happy you posted the fix before I had to reply to your first post.. It did look like I was using mpeg4 conversion and changing the edit to stereo but it was not setting to default.. Your fix worked..

Now I would like to ask you a few questions.. I have used dvdfab for at least 4 years now and have ripped many movies to ipod and never experienced this problem.. There was a period from last July till now that I did not use this function because I lost my Ipod.. Why wouldn't the programmers have the default set properly without having to make the changes we made?? I can only imagine the people who buy this program expecting to rip to their ipod and they discover it does not work..

Also would like to know if 96kbps, which appears to be the default setting when switched to stereo, is good enough or should this be upped to 128kbps for better sound. If I go to 128kbps is there a way to set this as default by doing more editing of the profile..

Lastly will I have to change the profile with each upgrade or will the profile stay in effect..

Once again thank you

Comment

Hi, DONUT 1953, glad it works OK, I only asked for the info because I do not have an iPod to try the profiles on.
                      DVDFab isn't perfect unfortunately, I am sure the programmers know that saving to default does not hold all changes made to the edited profile, its been like that for a long while.In my opinion they are more interested in concentrating on Blu-Ray copying/ripping problems.

Secondly,yes,try 128kbs, and see if you prefer it, please use attatched iPod.default file, it will stay in.
                      It is possible that the default profile will be deleted after updating the program, with this in mind, just keep a copy of the ipod.default file in a folder somewhere on your PC and all you do is copy & paste it in the appdata/roaming/dvdfab/profiles folder (usually a hidden folder).

PS. Even with its faults I remain a DVDFab fan, hence my username; FABFANATIC
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X