Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just tested the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy with a title on a thumbdrive and it worked fine for me on my PS3, I suspect it was what Complication mentioned about the format having to be FAT32 (I completely forgot about that one, told ya there was lots of good people here much more knowledgeable than I...Thanks Complication!) only reason I mentioned that profile is it has a much faster conversion rate and doesn't max out the cpu while converting.

Comment

Originally posted by theforceunleashed View Post
      Hi all.

What I am trying to do and wanting to do is rip a heap of my dvds, and store them on my portal hard drive, and then connect that up to my ps3, so I have all my videos basically on demand.
      I'm trying to find out what's the best way to rip the dvd's so I keep the same aspect ratio, and also keeps the 5.1 audio (and also be able to select dts if its available on the disk.
      And also making sure what format I create play backs on the ps3

Thanks
      Hi theforceunleashed
      I rip all my DVDs using DVDFab and it works great, and for the purpose very similar to what you want to do. Here's what I do.
      Rip the whole movie to your HD or where ever so you have it for backup purposes. I then chose the DVD to mobile option and select PS3. I use the PS3 passthrough option. This creates one .VOB file that will play on your PS3 perfectly w/out any compression, etc. I DO NOT do any file manipulation with compression, bit rates, etc. as 1) it takes a looooong time to process (and I have a 3.2GHz quad core Phenom II), and 2) I have NEVER gotten the video to look sharp (especially when objects are in motion) no matter how high or low I make the bit rates. I have large screens - 62" and 65" which amplify the imperfections.
      When playing back the .VOB files with the PS3 passthrough option, the video looks identical as if you're playing the movie from the BD drive in the PS3.
      Now, you will need to make some minor setting adjustments in the PS3 edit screen. Since you are using an external HDD (I assume you're plugging it into the USB port) it will only handle file sizes 4GB or less since the drive is formatted as FAT32. You will need to make sure that the pulldown is set to split files at 4GB per file. If you have a large DVD movie, it might have to split this into two files. Make sure you have sequential playback set in your PS3 in the video settings screen. It will then play the second file right after it completes the first.
      I personally don't like this, especially for my BD rips, where the single video file could be 20GB or more. For this reason, and because that I have two PS3s (one downstairs and one up) I have all my videos on a NAS box that's connected to a gigabit wired network. I have streamed ripped BD movies to both PS3s at the same time flawlessly.
      Also, if you use the PS3 VOB passthrough method you will need to make sure that you pick the AC-3 audio track, as the PS3 won't play the DTS track. This is a PS3 limitation and hopefully future PS3 updates will enhance this along with a lot of other long overdue media center features that Sony is just now realizing is an additonal value of the PS3. So, just to be clear, I'm not saying that the PS3 won't play back DTS audio tracks - it does and many others but from the DVD or BD in it's player. However, when using a digital copy of the movie such as that in .VOB passthrough, it will only play the AC-3 track.
      Hope this helps!

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz | Radeon HD 4670 | Win7 Pro x64 | 8 GB | Synology DS211j 5TB | Wired GbE | 2x WDTV Live + |

Comment

Sorry, I left something out when using the MKV option. You then need to use mkv2vob to remux the files into a format that the PS3 will play.

Wild and Blue is correct that the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy option will work too. However, I have had the PS3 reject XVID generated by DVDFab in the middle of the movie but maybe this is fixed now. YMMV.

Comment

Maybe u need ******** which can rip blu-ray dvds and normal dvds directly to your hard disc and convert to any formats you want.

DO NOT POST REFERENCES TO COMPETITIVE PRODUCTS OR YOU WILL BE BANNED!!!
          Last edited by GregiBoy; 11-16-2009, 06:08 AM. Reason: References not allowed on forum

Comment

I've decided the convert the movies using the dvd to vob, picture is great, sound is great. I'll leave it at that.
            Is there any chance that there might be a mac version of dvdfab?

Comment

mac version nope sorry. You would have to run DVDFab under a virtual machine on mac to be able to use it

Comment

I have found a new problem. I have been ripping using the dvd to file, and Vob, so I get good video and full sound out of the rip. But I have discovered when checking the files, some of them come up with 23min or 25min, you play them, and then once it gets to that time, the time re starts, and I'm finding the PS3 is having issues with this also, that most of them are stopping between 23min - 30min. Even though its a full rip. Any help would be great

Comment

Originally posted by theforceunleashed View Post
                  I have found a new problem. I have been ripping using the dvd to file, and Vob, so I get good video and full sound out of the rip. But I have discovered when checking the files, some of them come up with 23min or 25min, you play them, and then once it gets to that time, the time re starts, and I'm finding the PS3 is having issues with this also, that most of them are stopping between 23min - 30min. Even though its a full rip. Any help would be great
                  Inconsistent time codes is one problem with using Vob Passthrough. DVD authors stitch many things together and rarely take the time to make the entire title a consistent file. For most files the PS3 will play them fine but the time displayed may not work correctly. In these cases fast forward works but is jumpy and rewind is so slow as to not be usable. A little tip, if the playback stalls after fast forwarding then press stop and play again to reset the streaming process at the right spot.

By "stopping" do you mean the time stops or playback stops?

Comment

Well example, star wars eps 2 and 3 gets to about 30min, and stops.
                    I have tested this on both my pc and the ps3 and it does the same thing.
                    American Pie for example displays 28min, but as soon as it gets to that, the time resets to 0, and continues.

Comment

Hmm. I've not had the stop problem on the PC. If you are not already doing so, use VLC to play the files on the PC. Also, please try fast-forwarding past the normal stop position using the PS3 (10x or higher) and try to play after the normal stop. These are simply diagnostic steps to see if the problem I sometimes see it what you are experiencing.

The American Pie issue sounds normal for VOB Passthrough due to how many DVDs are authored (sliced together poorly). There was another poster recently that reported that MPEG Streamclip could fix the time code problem but I haven't tried it yet. With VOB Passthrough, DVDFab takes the original video and audio streams and places them in a new file unmodified so all problems can be found in the original DVD. The difference is that a DVD Player will keep going when problems occur where as file playback devices will often stop when there is a hiccup.

Comment

Bitrate and Video Resolution?

I've used both the PS3 profile and the MKV profile. Both times when you look at the settings the bitrate is set to 1,2xx and the video resolution is some strange resolution. Like on one DVD it says the original resolution is 640x480 but the resize is set at 624x480?

Isn't there a way to just say keep the original resolution?

And as far as bitrate, isn't there a way to tell it to just set it to appropriate bitrate for streaming over 54g?

Comment

I want to compress my DVDs with minimal quality loss. I tried the MKV profile and PS3 profile. DVDFab says the original resolution is 640¡Á480 (copied right from the screen) but it sets the resize at 624x480? Bitrate is set at 1346. It looks terrible (very fuzzy) on playback. For DVD resolution I want the playback to look virtually identical, and I want to use MKV to stream via PS3MediaPlayer. I want it to maintain the original resolution. I read earlier that no matter how high you set the bitrate it still looks noticeably worse? Help!

Comment

Consultant,

I have merged your douple posts in this thread.

Do not double post or hijack another persons thread. You have been warned.

Also, your question has been answered many times on this forum.

Any further infringement will result in you having a holiday from the forum.
                            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

This thread is now closed
                              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                              X