X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD - PS3 question

Hi all.

What I am trying to do and wanting to do is rip a heap of my dvds, and store them on my portal hard drive, and then connect that up to my ps3, so I have all my videos basically on demand.
    I'm trying to find out what's the best way to rip the dvd's so I keep the same aspect ratio, and also keeps the 5.1 audio (and also be able to select dts if its available on the disk.
    And also making sure what format I create play backs on the ps3

Thanks

I suggest the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy format. Note you will have to select 1 audio track and I never tested the dts audio through my PS3 but I suspect it would work. Start with a bit rate of about 1100 then experiment to see what looks and sounds the best to you.

Comment

I do believe ps3 plays mp4 format. aspect ratio not sure. I know ps3 upconverts so you should be able to adjust screen.

Comment

Correct and good point! It will play MP4 files although I never really tested it except one time and it was equal as far as quality best I can remember. Also theres a vob pass through option for the Ps3 but I never tried that either. I think there is a adjustment you can make with the screen but never tried that either, I only use mine for gaming actually. Aspect ratio (I forgot to mention) try and select 704x*** or as close to that. might even want to experiment some. Thanks Rip for pointing that out. (I'm kinda watching a movie and doing some video work at the same time lol)

Comment

Anytime just trying to help. I do know with a ps3 set up to an Lcd tv you will have to adjust the screen size or aspect ratio. When you upconvert as they do, your aspect ratio really depends what you upconvert to. i.e. 420p to 720p or 720p to 1020i.

Comment

Theres plenty of people on this forum MUCH more knowledgable than I converting video files, hopefully they can add more to this.

Comment

I've gone through all the types of conversions possible, and really can't find one that I want it to do.
              Basically with all my dvds I want the video and audio into one file, and then put that on my ps3. So basically ripping the movie and audio as it is.
              Finding it hard to do that. I have tried the generic.avi.divx.audiocopy because the ps3 wont play back the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy. I'm actually now trying dvdfab and 2 other programs. Didn't think it would be that hard to say to a program, I want the movie, and the audio, thats it, as one file.

Comment

This is DVDFab forum and posting names of competitor programs is against forum rules

Comment

Sorry didn't realise that. But you can understand my frustration of wanting to do something simple, which isn't working out for me

Comment

I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble with this, but the other software you are trying is not really relevant to the discussion about DVDFab. I have edited your earlier post so that it still makes your point but complies with the rules and policies here.

Many users convert files successfully for the PS3 using DVDFab. I think many of them either use one of the PS3 profiles or possibly VOB Passthrough. Our resident Videophile, Complication, will hopefully see this and lend you a hand.

Originally posted by theforceunleashed View Post
                    Sorry didn't realise that. But you can understand my frustration of wanting to do something simple, which isn't working out for me
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

There isn't a problem with converting files, It's wanting to convert them at a good quality and as you know some dvds will have dts encoding, and what I'm finding is the only way to keep that selecting is to do a dvd to dvd main movie rip. But there is one problem with that, it wont allow a rip done and have it all in one file, it breaks down 1GBish size files. Maybe that something in a future release than can be looked at.
                      __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________

Just thought i'd add more to this, was playing around with fabdvd a bit more....
                      I'm testing the fast and the furious which has both DD and DTS sound tracks. The DD sound track works fine. (using dvd - file (vob) )
                      But if I rip the dvd and select DTS, well.. on my pc using powerdvd there is no sound, but I can select to change audio, but on the PS3 it doesn't recognise an audio track there.
                      So maybe having an option when converting dvds to vob files you can select both formats, so then maybe that will work. I don't know. only guessing.
                      Last edited by theforceunleashed; 11-15-2009, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I am not sure if the PS3 plays DTS audio (I don't have one), but I know that VOB Passthrough (in DVD to Mobile->Generic) will produce the single VOB file. If you want to maintain the VIDEO_TS folder format, if you don't mind an extra step you can run the DVDFab output folder through DVDShrink (free but obsolete for decrypting) which lets you turn off the VOB file splitting. I have sent Complication a message to have a look here and see if he has any suggestions.

There isn't a problem with converting files, It's wanting to convert them at a good quality and as you know some dvds will have dts encoding, and what I'm finding is the only way to keep that selecting is to do a dvd to dvd main movie rip. But there is one problem with that, it wont allow a rip done and have it all in one file, it breaks down 1GBish size files. Maybe that something in a future release than can be looked at.
                        __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________

Just thought i'd add more to this, was playing around with fabdvd a bit more....
                        I'm testing the fast and the furious which has both DD and DTS sound tracks. The DD sound track works fine. (using dvd - file (vob) )
                        But if I rip the dvd and select DTS, well.. on my pc using powerdvd there is no sound, but I can select to change audio, but on the PS3 it doesn't recognise an audio track there.
                        So maybe having an option when converting dvds to vob files you can select both formats, so then maybe that will work. I don't know. only guessing.
                        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi all.

What I am trying to do and wanting to do is rip a heap of my dvds, and store them on my portal hard drive, and then connect that up to my ps3, so I have all my videos basically on demand.
                          I'm trying to find out what's the best way to rip the dvd's so I keep the same aspect ratio, and also keeps the 5.1 audio (and also be able to select dts if its available on the disk.
                          And also making sure what format I create play backs on the ps3

Thanks
                          I don't believe that the PS3 will support DTS in a file format, but there are a couple of ways to rip for a hard drive connected to the PS3 with AC3 5.1. First off, the hard drive must be formated as FAT32 (not NTFS). This will limit the size of any one file to 4G.

For best video quality, use DVDFab to Mobile, PS3 Vob Passthrough and rip directly to the portable hard drive. This will create files that have the exact same video and audio quality as the DVD. The downside is that many if not most movies will be split into 2 files due to the FAT32 4G limit. A 500GB drive will fit about 100 movies.

You can save some space while maintaining the audio quality by converting the movies to H264 + AC3 in an MKV container. Use DVDFab to Mobile, Generic MKV H264 Audiocopy. The amount of quality is determined by the bitrate you select and is a matter of personal taste. You will want a minimum of 1000 and probably minimum of 2000 if your movie has much high speed movement. DVDFab should automatically attempt to maintain the same screen size (width from 704 to 720) and aspect ratio as the original DVD. I highly recomend that you follow the Best Practice: DVD to Mobile guide.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

I will offer an alternative method I use when transfering to my PS3 via disk drive. We all agree that it is best practice to rip to the HDD first and that is the basis for this method.
                              • Click the green check mark and in the common settings select “write”.
                              • In the DVD-5 dropdown menu select “Custom”
                              • Type 4000 in the box. Click “OK” and exit DVDFab. Restart and the selection will be available. This will rip the main movie to the HDD just under the 4GB limit of FAT32.
                              • Use the PS3 VOB selection and make one file with the audio stream preserved.

This method compressed “Transformers 2” to 63% of the original, I find I like that better than the 25% of the original that the mobile profiles typically produce on the big screen. Be sure to switch back before ripping to burn to disc.
                              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X