Ver 8.1.2.0 DVD rip problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Ver 8.1.2.0 DVD rip problem

tried this on a few files now and there definitely seems to be a problem. Ripping starts well and rises to around 130 fps on my system (usually it's a steady 90-110fps when ripping depending on the file, resolution, bit rate etc..). After this the fps slowly starts dropping away and at about 25% through the task, is around 40 fps. It remains at 40 fps for the rest of the job.

This is around 3 times slower than normal. I have been ripping DVDs for years for my mobile devices and use a registered version of DVD Fab. I am ripping as usual from .ISO files stored on the Hard Disk,

When I try with version 8.0.8.5, no problems with any of the Files, ripping stabilises at it's usual 90-110 fps.

I am using a generic xvid+mp3 profile, saving as .AVI file. Windows Vista, CUDA not enabled.

I am not sure when the error occurred, I did not try ripping with the last few betas, but it was definitely OK in the last full release of the product 8.1.1.2.

Don't know why this is not getting any reply from the admins, perhaps more information required, if so tell me what it is and I will supply it. Even an acknowledgement that they have seen and are testing or confirmed a problem exists?

I can add that turning off all GPU codecs doesn't help, happens to all .ISO files and DVDs, turning off/on Turbo CPU doesn't help, neither does changing memory from max to normal.

Working set of the DVDFab.exe process rises to around 450,000K as the FPS peaks, then drops to around 200,000K as the FPS drops to 40FPS around 15-20% of the way in.

The logs show nothing helpful, but are cut and pasted below:

DVDFab 8.1.2.0 (2011/09/19 10:21:23)

0m 01.51s: Qt Translator file load success
    0m 01.81s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 1 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
    0m 15.42s: detected dvd
    0m 15.42s: iso F:\MEDIA BOX\For Media Box\ISO\THE_MENTALIST_SEASON_1_DISC_5.iso
    0m 15.42s: dvd type 1
    0m 15.42s: volume label THE_MENTALIST_SEASON_1_DISC_5
    0m 15.44s: got copyright 0 0
    0m 15.46s: got udf/iso
    0m 15.46s: got discinfo
    0m 15.46s: pathplayer enabled
    0m 15.47s: got dvdinfo
    0m 15.47s: opened dvd
    0m 44.21s:

------ begin mobile work(1/1) ------

0m 44.22s: info: create config(0)
    0m 44.22s: info: convert profile(generic.default)
    0m 44.22s: info: dvd playlist(1),angle(0),chapter(1->25),3D(0)
    0m 44.22s: info: streams((480.2)(128.2)(32.16)(41.16))
    0m 46.23s: info: set output video frame_rate(25/1)
    0m 46.23s: info: subpicture preset(2), mode(2)
    0m 46.25s: info: subpicture preset(2), mode(2)
    0m 50.29s: subpicture(32) mode(2)

Comment

I tried this and the same thing happened, appears to be an issue with mp3 audio. I tried again with audiocopy and it ran over 100fps start to finish. You might try that if your device will play audiocopy. Works ok for me on the PS3.
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I cannot play files using the .audiocopy setting, they are for playing in archos 605 and 705 devices without the cinema or H.264 plugins.

I also like to boost the audio by 250%, as this improves the max volume which is quite severely limited on Archos devices and allows you to hear the movie soundtrack on aircraft. Audiocopy does not give you this option. It also makes the files a fair bit larger.

On the plus side, your right it does work and my conversion rates are around 140fps with only software encoding....but sadly no use to me.
        Last edited by davecuk; 09-21-2011, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Too bad, but I'm sure the developers will see this thread and take a look at it.

Albert Einstein

Comment

The problem still occurs in DVDFab 8.1.2.1 Qt Beta, it does however take a little longer to manifest itself. Ultimately though, around 10% into the task, the FPS start to slowly drop, the working set of the DVD fab process drops to around 200Mb and the FPS ends up at 40fps at about 20% into the task. It then stays at this level.

Comment

Hi davecuk,

Please try to install DVDFab 8.1.2.2 Qt Beta at http://www.dvdfab.com/mlink/download.php?g=DVDFAB_BETA

I've just tried with "Generic.avi.xvid.mp3" and "generic.avi.divx.mp3" profiles, there is no "FPS ends up at 40fps at about 20% into the task" kind of problem can be reproduced with both video decoder and encoder as Software, can you give this new beta another try?

Sincerely,
              --
              Sunny

Comment

Version 8.1.2.2 generic.DivX.mp3 does slow to -40 fps on my system and generic.divx.audiocopy rolls along at 140 fps. When using mp3 audio the CPU usage fluctuate wildly while audiocopy is fairly consistent and three times faster. This is why I think there is an issue with the mp3 codec. Screenshots attached:

Note that both consume all cache memory.
                Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

I too have had problems with the latest beta QT ( and the version prior ). It does the same for me. I have to use generic avi divx,mp3 My rate drops all the way down to 1 fps. Several times it crashes.
                  I also have had problems of crash when doing conversion from FLV to avi if selecting more than 4 files it crashes.
                  Note, I used my old 6.0 version and it converts fast at 120fps or higher and no problems so for now I am using my old 6 even though the screen size choices is less.
                  I also noted that if I turn off passkey it does help a little but not much. Shutting down web browser frees up memory and that does help the speed but still does not play on my player.
                  Originally posted by sunny View Post
                  Hi davecuk,

Please try to install DVDFab 8.1.2.2 Qt Beta at http://www.dvdfab.com/mlink/download.php?g=DVDFAB_BETA

I've just tried with "Generic.avi.xvid.mp3" and "generic.avi.divx.mp3" profiles, there is no "FPS ends up at 40fps at about 20% into the task" kind of problem can be reproduced with both video decoder and encoder as Software, can you give this new beta another try?

Sincerely,
                  --
                  Sunny

Comment

Originally posted by sunny View Post
                    Hi davecuk,

Sincerely,
                    --
                    Sunny
                    I tried it as soon as it was released, same problem, but I didn't expect it to be fixed, especially if you don't realise there is a problem. However I have just tried it again and captured the results to .jpg files. DVDFab 8.0.8.5 works fine, although there has always been a slight audio sync problem with DVD fab and .mp3. This problem can logically only be something you have done to the code recently, as nothing has changed here and others appear to be able to replicate my problem. My concern is that the 1st QT release will not run with the later QT installed and if you do something to prevent the older 9.0.8.5 from running, then I really have a problem. I realise there is a lot of focus on BR now, but for mobile devices, the standard ripper still needs to work well.

The links below are some very small screen captures which show the problem and what is happening to the processes working set.

Last edited by davecuk; 09-24-2011, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Version 8.1.2.3 generic.divx.mp3. The processors go along at near 100% until almost exactly 21% complete then the processors begin to cycle and the fps falls off, way off. I captured a screenshot of this in Task Manager.
                      Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                        Version 8.1.2.3 generic.divx.mp3. The processors go along at near 100% until almost exactly 21% complete then the processors begin to cycle and the fps falls off, way off. I captured a screenshot of this in Task Manager.
                        Same for me when I tried the latest beta 8.1.2.3, I have also tried disabling every process I can for a minimal vista system, still no improvement, so no conflicting processes or software I am aware of. I even removed the lame mp3 codec. Disabling GPU is no help. At the moment using earlier version of DVDFab for ripping, not ideal, but it's a temporary solution.

Comment

hi,

Thanks report this problem, we are always adjust the convert engine for better performance and low resource occupation, so maybe in some special condition, the convert speed will be lower.

I will check this problem and try to fix it, thanks again.

Comment

Update.

As of version 8.1.2.6, it appears to be fixed, no more slowdown. Not only is it fixed, but the conversion speeds are back up to the same speeds as some of the much earlier versions 130-150 FPS on my system. In addition some of the very poor rendering quality seems to have dissipated

My question now to the admins/programmers is, what was the problem what was done to fix it. No mention of any fix for this specific problem was in the release notes?

Is this a fix or just a lucky by-product of some other change and something that could come back again in later releases?

Comment

Hi davecuk,
                              Please try the latest build 8128 QT beta http://www.dvdfab.com/mlink/download.php?g=DVDFAB_BETA and tell us the result.

Thanks for your supports!

Comment

Working...
                              X