No announcement yet.

BD Ripper Apple TV: Now with sound but not multichannel Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well GB I can agree that you shouldn't be forced into something!

Apple has created a concept that is quite nice after all.
    The only thing is they didn't get everything right.

The reason for me using ATV is that since PS3 introduced the cinavia I got some issues...

The other reasons are that it's really easy to show things from your phone or pad. Especially TV that is streamed via internet sites.
    More or less all PC based players will use Flash as playback and that can give you horrible effects.
    I guess we all know what Steve Jobs thought about Flash.
    So, i-devices use another technique witch is far better.

Then we have the rest of the family that always used to complain about how difficult it was to view videos etc.
    The kids love to show their home made (hq ) videos and play their music from their devices. So at least no more of that now!

But of course we see some drawbacks like the ones in this thread.
    If ATV would only support .mkv then we wouldn't have this problem...

Comment

You know you can "Jailbreak" the ATV's and actually run XBMC to get around the problems and retain the other capabilities, don't you?
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Yes I do but for now I'll just keep it as is!

Comment

Similar Issue...

Also using Apple TV profile with 5.1 AC3 and second 2.0 stereo track the files are not playable on iTunes and No Audio when played on Apple TV! I am attempting to use the Apple TV (Silver) and using a smaller video size (720p) vs 1080p to save on space. I get no audio on Apple TV 2 (black) haven't tried on Apple TV 3rd Gen to see if there is a difference, I also noticed that the track selection was missing on Apple TV so I turned off DD on the ATV and it didn't have any effect.

And FYI the moderators really dislike using competitor's names in your posts! Got chewed out in one of mine a few months back when I was asking about them adding this feature like "---------" did.

Comment

Yeah, using the AT3 profile, my files work ok on ATV but not in iTunes or iOS devices.

I tried editing the ATV3 profile to use just an AAC track, instead of AC3 but even setting that, the file works but has no audio. It also is really fiddly to get the profile changes to stick, I.e. sometimes it defaults to a mono track after I have set it to stereo. i thought it must have been my error at first but it has happened a fe times and regardless of me selecting stereo in the profile, it always defaults to DPII even though I have the setting to downsample to stereo set.

I have found 9 to just be too buggy to use consistently and have returned to 8 for the time being.

Comment

So does 9041 fix this? Doesn't say so in the release notes so I assume not.

Comment

Working in 9.0.4.2

I downloaded 9.0.4.2 the other day and they took out the checkbox in the profile, but here are the steps I used to get it working.

1. Create a Custom ATV3 profile starting with the Base ATV3 profile
                2. in your new profile I changed to use AAC rather than AC3 for Audio Leave on 5.1 multichannel.
                3. Save you profile (I also added 1280x720 to mine, but shouldn't affect what you need here.)
                4. Open up your Bluray or DVD and select the new profile.

I tried this on Parker and The Last Stand both worked. Now the other thing that I do outside of DVDFab is I use Subler (free tool for Mac only) and I use that to put in all my Synopsis, Artwork etc. as it is very simple. It unselects the default tracks and just selects the AAC one and video not the chapters or surround tracks.

Now on the apple TV I didn't have audio selection with both tracks highlighted and I had to force Dolby On in order to get the selection but is there and works!

Development if this is a bug please keep this functionality it is sweet.

Comment

Sounds good that it works but it still sounds like a work around.
                  The proper way should be...

Audio #1. AAC 2.0
                  Audio #2. AC3 5.1

Then you can play it on all iDevices.

Comment

Hi all,
                    This issue has been fixed in the latest beta version 9044.
                    After using Apple TV option, the converted files include two audio tracks by default---aac/2.0 and ac-3/5.1.
                    Would you please kindly try using 5.1 multichannel as audio channels to convert your DVD/Blu-ray movies? At your end and see if you can play the resulted files on your device(which was no sound before). As you know, if you choose 5.1 multichannel as audio channels, the output files include these two audio tracks---aac/5.1 and ac3/5.1.

Thanks in advance for your kindly feedback.
                    User Manual for DVDFab v10 (pdf)

DVDFab log default location:
                    For Windows: C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab10\Log
                    For Mac: Finder> Documents> DVDFab10> Log

DVDFab Player 5:
                    For Windows:C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab Player 5\Log

Comment

Hi Ning!

The output needs to be:
                      Audio #1. AAC 2.0
                      Audio #2. AC3 5.1

This is how the apple devices work.
                      iTunes or QuickTime will not accept AAC 5.1 sound, at least on Windows.
                      In my case not even AC3 but if you have AAC 2.0 it will play.
                      To play AC3 5.1 I need to use my ATV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ning View Post
                        Hi all,
                        This issue has been fixed in the latest beta version 9044.
                        After using Apple TV option, the converted files include two audio tracks by default---aac/2.0 and ac-3/5.1.
                        Would you please kindly try using 5.1 multichannel as audio channels to convert your DVD/Blu-ray movies? At your end and see if you can play the resulted files on your device(which was no sound before). As you know, if you choose 5.1 multichannel as audio channels, the output files include these two audio tracks---aac/5.1 and ac3/5.1.

Thanks in advance for your kindly feedback.
                        Yeah it's working fine for me too thanks.

Comment

My bad!
                          It works in iTunes and QuickTime.
                          Not tested ATV yet but should be ok as iTunes is not complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by squitzad View Post
                            My bad!
                            It works in iTunes and QuickTime.
                            Not tested ATV yet but should be ok as iTunes is not complaining.
                            However since if the profile would be:
                            Audio #1. AAC 2.0
                            Audio #2. AC3 5.1
                            It would on all iDevices right away so you only use one profile.
                            Maybe the profile should look like this?
                            Audio #1. AAC 2.0
                            Audio #2. AAC 5.1
                            Audio #3. AC3 5.1
                            Or at least have the option to choose.
                            I tested in QuickTime and it chooses the first audio (not changeable).
                            In iTunes you see all audio but AC3 is greyed and not supported.
                            In this case I think ATV will also support three audio files and you would be able to choose.
                            Since the ATV is connected to a receiver the AC3 pass-through would work.

See attached media info txt.
                            Attached Files

Comment

http://http://support.apple.com/kb/H...S&locale=en_US

This page indicates that this is the only way to get surround working for AppleTV:

For compatibility, the following is required:

Both tracks must be provided.
                              The AAC track should be first and it must be enabled.
                              The AC-3 track should appear after the AAC track and it should be disabled by default.
                              The AC-3 track must also use the appropriate MPEG-4/ISO standard.
                              The 5.1 should be DISABLED by default. I've been using a different app, and the developer figured this out as the missing piece of the puzzle to get ATV surround working. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X