Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tried 6.2.1.8 and the problem seems to be resolved.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Help still needed!

I have followed the advice on this thread to copy District 9 using DVDFab 6.2.2.0 Beta but I am still not getting subtitles for the aliens.

I would be grateful if someone could confirm the settings I am using:

Using DVD to Mobile, I select VOB. I tick Title 1 (Play Time = 1:47:44, Chapter = 28), select the top Audio English AC-3/5.1 and the top Subpicture English. I also tick Display only forced subpicture. The profile defaulted to is vob.passthrough - I make no changed to this profile therefore has its default settings.

I end up with a *.vob, *.sub and *.idx files. I use VLC to play to *.vob file but see no subtitles even though a Subtitle Track is selected.

Can anyone confirm the settings I should be using? The DVD is Region 2 bought in the UK.

Comment

Hi Robot, I also had similar problems with this movie when I first started with Fab, 6.2.2.0 Beta did fix my problem. But you need to burn the forced subs into/onto the movie itself for it all to work how you'd expect. In the profile settings down the bottom select the Direct render to video option and try that.

Comment

Hi Monty, thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I cannot see the Direct render to video option - see screen shot.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RobotDude View Post
            I would be grateful if someone could confirm the settings I am using:
            Using DVD to Mobile, I select VOB. I tick Title 1 (Play Time = 1:47:44, Chapter = 28), select the top Audio English AC-3/5.1
            and the top Subpicture English.
            I also tick Display only forced subpicture. The profile defaulted to is vob.passthrough - I make no changed to this profile therefore has its default settings.
            I end up with a *.vob, *.sub and *.idx files. I use VLC to play to *.vob file but see no subtitles even though a Subtitle Track is selected.
            Can anyone confirm the settings I should be using? The DVD is Region 2 bought in the UK.
            Click the dropdown "Extract sub/idx file" is where you should see "Direct render to video".

Also if you still can't get forced subs, if memory serves the region 1 disc had the forced subs on the second english track (there was 3 english subs in total, maybe the region 2 disc is the same).

Comment

Hi W&B, I only get the "Extract sub/idx file" option on the drop down hence my question. Any way of getting the "Direct render to video" option on the drop down?

Comment

I would re-rip main movie selecting all english subs, then when doing the conversion just do the first 2 or 3 chapters then test playback to see if you get the forced subs. (Try the 2nd track since the 1st one doesn't seem to be right)

The dropdown should give you the option for direct render to video, maybe its because the wrong subtitle was selected?
                (not sure if that would keep it from being in the dropdown)

Edit: Not sure if direct render to video will be possible for vob passthrough. I never use that profile and someone else may comfirm this.
                Last edited by W&B; 01-20-2010, 11:45 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

It appears to be a limitation with VOB under DVD to Mobile. If I select Generic then I get the "Direct render to video" option. I'm giving this a go and let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help.

Comment

RobotDude, VLC does not handle subtitles correctly. This is a known problem. Try a different player.

Comment

I disagree. Just did a test yesterday on VLC with SUB/IDX & all good,
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Just did some more tests this morning with VLC and SMI & SRT subs. All work fine.

NB: I am using "Advanced Open" and select the AVI & Subtitle file at the same time. Using SUB/IDX, you must open the SUB file.
                        Last edited by GregiBoy; 01-20-2010, 09:44 PM. Reason: Correction to data

Comment

I give up! I have done 20+ tests selecting various combinations of Subpicture and chapters, and still can't produce an output with just the Alien subtitles.

In VOB to Mobile, Generic, using Title(Angle) = 1, I can prove that selecting just Chapter 4 with Subpicture = 1st English, "Display only forced subpicture" chechbox ticked and Profile = "generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy" (with Subpicture = "Direct render to video"), gives the Alien subtitles only = GOOD.

Selecting Chapter 1 only with the same settings, gives subtitles for everything = BAD.

Selecting Chapters 2-4, gives the Alien subtitles only = GOOD.

Randomly selected Chapter 16 only, gives subtitles for everything = BAD.

Changing to the second or third English Subpicture, gives no subtitles for everything = BAD.

So it's a copy with subtitles for me!
                          Last edited by RobotDude; 01-21-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

The last English subtitle track is for commentary (I may have told you the wrong info as to which subtitle track to select, you may have been right to select the 1st english track, I do remember the last was for commentary, either directors or actors).
                            Keep in mind you will get forced subs for when the South Africans speak and the aliens. No forced subs will be shown for main character and some of the other characters who speak english clearly.
                            I'll try and check my copy when I get a chance to see exactly which to select.

Comment

Many thanks. It will be nice to have a solution.

Comment

I was wrong, it is the 1st english subtitle that has the forced subs. I converted to a generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy and had forced subs no problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X