Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CSI Season 1, Disc 1 Ripping Assorted Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSI Season1, Disc 1 Ripping Assorted Problems

Originally posted by glenns View Post
    Here's what I believe it should look like if there's no interlaced content on the disk.Perhaps the option only shows up if the disk has interlaced content.Try a regular movie I bet your screenshot will look like mine.
    Hi Glenn:

These episodes of CSI must be interlaced because the field is not disabled, I took a quick look at a regular movie and I see that in that case the deinterlacing option is disabled.

As I mentioned, the test with the MP4 Passthrough profile finished and as far as I can tell I've got the same results i.e. what Wilson calls "video and audio are fast and mosaic". I guess this is a problem ripping interlaced VC1 to mp4 so hopefully it'll get fixed in the next release cycle. In the mean time I'll use Fab 8 on titles like this.

Thanks!

- Norm

Comment

Hi Norm@Home
      I may be wrong but, you will mostly find interlaced content on series discs.
      Glad you have a work around.
      CBR929
      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I think the biggest problem here is two pass. Too much trouble for the microscopic difference it makes. One pass at high quality is great!
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
          I think the biggest problem here is two pass. Too much trouble for the microscopic difference it makes. One pass at high quality is great!
          I've tried so many different settings with the Mp4 profile it's hard to tell but I can say that some of these things are what I experienced: (all are things trying to ripp CSI S1 D1 the blu-ray edition)

There's a problem with the profile Mp4 / h264, Encoding Method High Quality encoding 2-Pass, Video Quality - High Quality, Deinterlacing On - Ripping starts and FPS is 30-40 (with all GPU codecs disabled) and within several minutes FPS drops to zero and ripping stalls, although Fab is still responding and you can cancel the job in progress without issue and return to the queue.

In the previous configuration, when I switch "High Quality encoding 2-Pass" to "Fast Encoding (1-Pass)" ripping doesn't stall but the quality of the end result simply doesn't look good i.e. lots of blocky artifacts almost like what you would see if you forced a lores video to full screen and it appears almost fuzzy.

After that I tried switching to the MP4 codec and with either two pass or one pass I had the same issue with what Wlison reproduced and called "video and audio are fast and mosaic".

At GlennS's suggestion I tried the MP4 passthrough profile with two pass and one pass although I can't be sure if I tried both the h264 codec and the mp4 codec but the same settings I tried with the other Mp4 profile got me pretty much the same results.

One thing that I haven't tried that I'm now wondering about is if the problem is setting Deinterlacing to On since I haven't tried any of these with that setting off. So let me try that and post back.

- Norm
          Last edited by Norm@Home; 02-25-2014, 09:56 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling, sorry!

Comment

So I tried the standard Mp4 profile with codec h264 Encoding Method Fast Encoding 1-pass, Video Quality - High Quality, Deinterlacing off and the end result is the same: video and audio are fast and mosaic

Interestingly enough I then tried the standard Mp4 profile with codec MP4, Encoding Method Fast Encoding 1-pass, Video Quality - High Quality, Deinterlacing off and the end result is better: video and audio are fast but the "mosaic" problem is significantly less but still noticeable. One other thing I noticed with this configuration that scrolling in MPC did not work smoothly like the index was broken in some way.

While I had been doing some other full disc copy's I had re-enabled GPU codecs and lightning encoding which were enabled for the previous two runs. I tried disabling GPU codecs and used the same settings as previously in my last test and still the same video and audio fast and less of a "mosaic" problem but still noticeable. I tried viewing the result in VLC instead of MPC and video and audio are still the same and the scrolling problem still exists.

- Norm

Comment

Working...
            X