h.264 output quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) h.264 output quality

I used to rip dvd/bluray into mp4 for my home entertainment through as nas server. I'm wondering if there is anyway in dvdfab that I could manage the h.264 output quality besides bit rate and 1/2 passes? The reason I ask this is that some times I like to rip a dvd into fhd with up scaling and dvdfab does the job, however, the output quality isn't quite satisfactory, it's relatively blocky even though I have chosen high quality bit rate and 2 passes with software reading / encoding (so that it's independent to the video card driver), and best scaling method in setting.

I compared the fhd video output with simply playing a dvd with dvdfab player in fhd monitor, dvdfab player plays dvd better in fhd than dvdfab ripper fhd output file.

Thanks.

If file size is not a big concern then mp4 passthrough will give you DVD quality. The video is "passed through" to the container uncompressed.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. The file size isn't a concern to me, but the dvdfab mp4 profile doesn't seem to support mpeg 2 (dvd) passthrough, and it doesn't actually scale up the resolution.

Comment

Looks like you are correct, when I select MP4 Passthrough it will revert to H264 for reasons unknown to me? MKV Passthrough will still pass MPEG-2 through.

Albert Einstein

Comment

The mkv passthrough supports mpeg2 (dvd) but it still doesn't up scaling the resolution (that's exactly what passthrough does). While it's technically correct, it doesn't satisfy my need. What I'm wondering is dvdfab player could play a DVD in 1920x1080 in good quality but while I have dvdfab ripped a DVD and up scaling it to 1920x1080 with high bitrate, the fab player output quality is better than dvdfab ripper output quality.

Comment

Your TV or playback device will do a better job at upscaling. I got tired of chasing that ghost a long time ago.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for sharing your input!

Comment

Working...
              X