High END CUDA performance ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
    With that 4790k you should be able to run Quick Sync and get a lot faster that 72fps.
    Agreed. Thus is an entire new hardware build so I haven't played with enabling the embedded Intel graphics yet. That will be soon and I'll post the results.

Comment

To continue my testing I tried the 4K H264 M2TS profiles (MKV and MP4) to test the 970 card performance when upscaling. Neither one would leverage CUDA encoding, just decoding. Is this a bug, a configuration issue or by design ?

Comment

I tested ripping regular DVDs. I was able to achieve over 1150 fps with an 8meg bitrate using the 970. I've included a picture as evidence.
        Attached Files

Comment

By midweek I should be able to contribute to this question.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Cuda Performance on GTX 980

I invested in a Zotac GTX 980 AMP Extreme Edition ZT-90203-10P and I can tell you that mp4 h.264 encoding is stellar compared to my previous card which was a GTX 770 where I was lucky to get 70-90fps. It's not unusual for me to get over 430fps while encoding using CUDA on my 980.

Typically when I ripp using the Mp4 profile I use H264, the default resolution, Fast Encoding 1-Pass, High Quaility, AC3 5.1 Audio and remux subtitles.

One thing that I have noticed is that certain titles have minor issues with CUDA, for example the TV series Lost where there are a lot of ocean and jungle scenes; I frequently see lots of blocky artifacts when encoding with CUDA but not when I switch to the software encoder. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into this problem and if it's strictly an nVidia / driver / problem with the hardware encoder on the video card issue or something else?

I tried briefly to play with h.265 encoding following the instructions in the thread "tips for new h265 settings" but I got very poor results in terms of fps; on par with what I was getting with my GTX 770 and CUDA around 70fps. Chances are I was doing something wrong and I'll have to get back to that and do some more testing.

- Norm

Comment

Originally posted by jbinkley60 View Post
              Agreed. Thus is an entire new hardware build so I haven't played with enabling the embedded Intel graphics yet. That will be soon and I'll post the results.
              I've finally had some time to enable IQS on my i7-4790k processor. Here's how they compare to software and the 970:

Software:

DVD@8mbs - 336fps
              Blu-Ray@24mbs - 72fps

Intel IQS:

DVD@8mbs - 730fps
              Blu-Ray@24mbs - 180fps

CUDA 970:

DVD@8mbs - 1150fps
              Blu-Ray@24mbs - 385fps

The IQS numbers were very respectable and more than double those of software only.
              Last edited by jbinkley60; 07-29-2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I noticed some of you referring to the GTX 970 and 980 series graphics cards. They may have twice the Cuda scores but the GTX 960 actually supports HEVC decoding and encoding while the GTX 970 and 980 series cards only support HEVC encoding, but NOT decoding. Don't ask me why NVidia decided to do this but since this codec is fairly new it's going to take over much like h.264 did when it started.

I have over 600 movies ripped from Blu-ray into MKV files using the h.264 codec but since I bought a GTX 960 I'm slowly but surely starting to encode all those over again using the h.265 codec. Using the h.264 codec I was able to encode a two hour movie in just over an hour.

Before I bought the GTX 960 I had a ATI HD 6870 and it took a good 6.5 to 8.5 hours to encode a movie using the h.265 codec, now it only takes me 4.5 to 6.5 hours to encode a two hour movie. Still a long time but it's a good amount better than what it was.

It's only a matter of time before more and more hardware supports HEVC for both encoding and decoding making h.264 an outdated codec much like avi is now.

Comment

Working...
                X