No announcement yet.

High END CUDA performance ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) High END CUDA performance ?

I currently have a GeForce 550 Ti card which has CUDA 2.1 support. I am currently getting around 62 FPS when ripping full bitrate Blu-Ray files. I am looking to potentially upgrade to a 970 or 980 series GeForce card but was wondering how much of a performance difference that would make. I've searched the threads in the forums and can't find where anyone with one of the high end cards has posted any performance numbers. Can someone with a 970 or 980 series card post any ripping performance numbers with CUDA encoding enabled ? Thanks in advance.

You might want to get a little more specific about what profile your using. I'd be interested in this as well, I'm looking at a new build and the 980 has caught my eye too.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

I am using the M2TS profile. Typically re-encoding the video and copying the audio. My bit rates are typically between 24-30Mb/s. The 980 is quite a bit more for not a huge jump in performance. The 980 Ti is only slightly more (about 10%) than the 980 but significantly more performance. My 560 Ti has 384 CUDA cores whereas a 970 has over 1600. What I don't know is where the bottleneck is once I increase the video card performance. I doubt it will be linear and that I'll see a 4X improvement in the frames per second encoding.

Comment

Now you got me confused if you're encoding the output is in FPS? Are using passthrough?

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
          Now you got me confused if you're encoding the output is in FPS? Are using passthrough?
          I do use passthrough for some videos but for this discussion I am not using it. There are a number of times I am re-encoding the video but keeping the audio in tact. This is to retain the DTS audio and the video re-encoding might be to direct render subtitles into the ripped video for foreign language sections or to fix a video encoding method that my steaming player isn't handling well. Attached is a typical settings screen shot.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jbinkley60; 07-08-2015, 08:38 AM.

Comment

I just got a new laptop that has a 980M with 8 GB of video RAM, it has fewer cores and a slightly slower clock than the regular 980, but with mine IQS is still faster than CUDA. I have only tried a few with it so far, still experimenting but am getting about 70 fps from disc sources, much faster from external HDDs.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Using jbinkley60's setup and IQS on my 3rd Gen i7 I get 135 FPS from the disc and 200+ from the HDD. This thread saved me some bucks on the new build!

Albert Einstein

Comment

You have always gotten excellent speeds. I am told the 980 will support CUDA h265 encoding, so there is that to consider as well.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a 970 card today. I should be able to install it over the weekend and will post some performance numbers. In the future I may upgrade one of my backup servers to a new high end Intel processor that has IQS support.

Comment

Good luck with it bink, I think you made a good choice. IQS is new to me, this is my first PC that supports it.

Comment

Doesn't need to be that high-end

Originally posted by jbinkley60 View Post
                      Well I bit the bullet and ordered a 970 card today. I should be able to install it over the weekend and will post some performance numbers. In the future I may upgrade one of my backup servers to a new high end Intel processor that has IQS support.
                      Any of Intel's Core line with integrated graphics supports IQS. My 2012 era laptop with a 2nd gen Core i7 does really well on ripping. I typically rip to MKV @9000 kbps with passthru audio and see rip rates in the 80-90 range from the original disc and even higher if I'm ripping from data on the hard drive.

Comment

Which is more important? The fastest CPU or a fast GPU?

Has anyone done any performance monitoring on say an Intel I3 cpu with a Geforce 980 vs an Intel I5 and an Intel i7 with the 980?

Comment

Haven't tested, but...

Originally posted by WallySchwarz View Post
                          Which is more important? The fastest CPU or a fast GPU?

Has anyone done any performance monitoring on say an Intel I3 cpu with a Geforce 980 vs an Intel I5 and an Intel i7 with the 980?
                          For video encoding, a fast GPU paired with a slow CPU will handily beat a slow (or no) GPU paired with a fast CPU. The video encoding process is fairly simple and highly parralel, so it scales very well with the number of available processing units, so GPUs always win. From what I've seen and heard, the Intel QuickSync implementation is very fast and has the benefit of being much closer to memory than PCIe connected GPU, so it punches above its weight compared to otherwise faster discrete GPUs.

Comment

I've gotten my GeForce 970 installed and with the original test configuration of 1980x1080 @24Meg bitrate I am able to achieve 385fps with CUDA enabled. I was able to rip a 2hr Blu-Ray is less than 8 minutes.

With my older 560 Ti I could only get 65fps. The results exceeded my expectations by a wide margin. For comparison to software only I get 72fps with an i7-4790k running at 4.0gbps.

Comment

With that 4790k you should be able to run Quick Sync and get a lot faster that 72fps.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X