DVDFab Forum - cuda hevc gtx 970

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cuda hevc gtx 970

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post
    Hi,

    CUDA H265 does not support on Windows 10, it's the system but not DVDFab.

    And the other software also not support decoder on Win10, e.g. MPC...

    Please let me know if you find others support.

    Thanks!

    Wilson

    That explains it! And another reason to avoid Windows 10 IMHO.
    How to post the internal log


    Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

    Comment


    • #32
      I'm going to buy a GTX 970 and using Win 10. So the CUDA-Encoder will be available, but the Decoder will not? And Microsoft is not going to Support h265-Decoder for CUDA? So is a GTX 960 the better Choice if I do want both?

      Kind Regards
      Last edited by slippen; 01-03-2016, 11:19 AM.

      Comment


      • #33
        No that has nothing todo with the Modell GTX970 or GTX960, the decode Problem is a Windows 10 Problem. The main point is that the encoder runs

        Comment


        • #34
          I use Geforce GTX 960 under Windows 10 64bit Pro and I DEFINITELY have CUDA H.265 DECODING !

          I can prove that if you ask me so !

          So I think that the problem lies in DVDFab neither in Windows nor in Nvidia drivers !

          Please run a test of a 3840x2160 10bit HEVC video under Windows 10 using an NVidia GTX 960 card !

          You will certainly experience HEVC decoding !

          Nikos

          Comment


          • #35
            I had 2XGTX980s and took them and installed GTX960s and I am so happy I did.
            Intel i7 5960X Extreme
            Asus X99 Sabertooth
            32 gbs of Corsair Dual Channel Memory@2133mhz
            Samsung 1TB 850 Pro, Samsung F3 1TB
            Swiftech H20-320 Edge Kit Cooler
            Windows 10 64 bit Pro
            Corsair AX 1200iW PSU
            Asus Bluray Drive + 2 BenQ opticals
            Corsair Obsidian 800D Case


            IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU READ, PLEASE GO BACK AND READ WHAT YOU UNDERSTAND

            Comment


            • #36
              Well THAT clears things up!
              Better a witty fool than a foolish wit

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Dogfart View Post
                Well THAT clears things up!
                I am getting over 300FPS and 8 minute Rips with H265 on 2 hour movies.
                Intel i7 5960X Extreme
                Asus X99 Sabertooth
                32 gbs of Corsair Dual Channel Memory@2133mhz
                Samsung 1TB 850 Pro, Samsung F3 1TB
                Swiftech H20-320 Edge Kit Cooler
                Windows 10 64 bit Pro
                Corsair AX 1200iW PSU
                Asus Bluray Drive + 2 BenQ opticals
                Corsair Obsidian 800D Case


                IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU READ, PLEASE GO BACK AND READ WHAT YOU UNDERSTAND

                Comment


                • #38
                  Per c|net; Microsoft has traditionally been slow to embrace new file standards as the "10 years too late" support of FLAC and MKV shows. However, there are signs the company is becoming more progressive by building some future-proofing into its file support. While not as important right now, the ability to play HEVC files -- High Efficiency Video Coding -- will be helpful in the years to come.

                  That's because the format -- also known as H.265 -- is the de facto standard for 4K video, which offers four times the resolution of 1080p resolution, where traditional HDTVs top out. If you're viewing or editing video from a new 4K-capable GoPro or DJI drone -- now or in future years -- the HEVC support in Windows 10 will make things easier from the get-go.
                  Windows 10 supports HEVC or h.265 as we know it right out of the box.

                  although...

                  per Hardware.Info; H.265 (HEVC) Video Decoding Engine
                  One advantage the GM206 GPU holds over GM204 is its new video engine. While the GeForce GTX 970 and 980 support H.265 (HEVC) video encoding, only the GeForce GTX 960 decodes this forward-looking format.

                  So your choice; GTX 970-980 = better Cuda scores and no hardware decoding of h265, whereas GTX 960 = sacrifices maybe a little Cuda performance but can both decode and encode h264 & h265.

                  Your not going to get hardware decoding of HEVC from a GTX 970-980.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I bought 4 EVGA GTX 960s on sale at Newegg, with backplates for 179.00 each, they do it all in Windows 10, Fab is software and the GTX 960 is the hardware.
                    Intel i7 5960X Extreme
                    Asus X99 Sabertooth
                    32 gbs of Corsair Dual Channel Memory@2133mhz
                    Samsung 1TB 850 Pro, Samsung F3 1TB
                    Swiftech H20-320 Edge Kit Cooler
                    Windows 10 64 bit Pro
                    Corsair AX 1200iW PSU
                    Asus Bluray Drive + 2 BenQ opticals
                    Corsair Obsidian 800D Case


                    IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU READ, PLEASE GO BACK AND READ WHAT YOU UNDERSTAND

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Good pricing pal. Sounds like you're good to go!
                      How to post the internal log


                      Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Sorry, I'm joining late, and trying to understand this as I'm about to upgrade my PC which means I am looking for a new video card. And I was looking at CUDA as a way to help speed things up.

                        If I understand this thread right, GTX960 card can hardware decode and encode h264 & h265, where as GTX970 card can hardware encode h264 and h265, hardware decode h264, but not hardware decode h265 (so relies on Software/CPU to do it).

                        So, if the source of my rips is h265, I'd be better off getting a GTX960 card? And am I correct in thinking that the hardware decode/encode of the GTX960 will speed things up over software decode/hardware encode of the GTX975?

                        Now, if my source is not h265, will rip speeds be impacted using GTX960 vs GTX970?

                        Does OS matter? i.e. Win 7 vs Win 10?

                        Thank you

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
                          Sorry, I'm joining late, and trying to understand this as I'm about to upgrade my PC which means I am looking for a new video card. And I was looking at CUDA as a way to help speed things up.

                          If I understand this thread right, GTX960 card can hardware decode and encode h264 & h265, where as GTX970 card can hardware encode h264 and h265, hardware decode h264, but not hardware decode h265 (so relies on Software/CPU to do it).

                          So, if the source of my rips is h265, I'd be better off getting a GTX960 card? And am I correct in thinking that the hardware decode/encode of the GTX960 will speed things up over software decode/hardware encode of the GTX975?

                          Now, if my source is not h265, will rip speeds be impacted using GTX960 vs GTX970?

                          Does OS matter? i.e. Win 7 vs Win 10?

                          Thank you
                          Unless your ripping from UHD discs decoding h265 is really not necessary. I did my research before I bought my GTX960. I figured why not have the capabilities regardless just in case I ever do rip from a UHD disc. It makes no sense why NVidia would encode/decode h264 and h265 on the GTX960 but on the next three upgrades they would only include the capability to encode only. It's only a matter of time before both are implemented again on the same board.

                          I would go with a GTX960 and just wait it out for the next board to include both capabilities again and then upgrade again. Unless your a die hard, hard core gamer that needs all that extra shaders and trapazoids and such the GTX960 is the board of choice imo.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by AcIDc0r3 View Post
                            Unless your ripping from UHD discs decoding h265 is really not necessary. I did my research before I bought my GTX960. I figured why not have the capabilities regardless just in case I ever do rip from a UHD disc. It makes no sense why NVidia would encode/decode h264 and h265 on the GTX960 but on the next three upgrades they would only include the capability to encode only. It's only a matter of time before both are implemented again on the same board.

                            I would go with a GTX960 and just wait it out for the next board to include both capabilities again and then upgrade again. Unless your a die hard, hard core gamer that needs all that extra shaders and trapazoids and such the GTX960 is the board of choice imo.
                            Very good explaination. Thank you!! I'm not a gamer, so I'll likely save a few $$ and go with a 960.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
                              Very good explaination. Thank you!! I'm not a gamer, so I'll likely save a few $$ and go with a 960.
                              I forgot to iterate on the OS's, my bad. As far as Win 7 - 8.1 are concerned they do NOT have OS support for h264 but Win10 does right out of the box on h264 but not h265.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                My bad I just did a quick lookup and appearantly on the OS support I was wrong.

                                Microsoft will support the relatively new HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) video compression standard in Windows 10 out of the box, according to a statement from Gabriel Aul, the leader of its Operating Systems Group's Data and Fundamentals Team.

                                Aul confirmed the HEVC support in Windows 10 in a Twitter message earlier today, while also stating that earlier reports that the operating system supports MKV video files were correct as well. He added, "MKV is supported at the platform level so will be available to all types of apps."

                                HEVC is a successor to the well known H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video compression standard. In very basic terms, it allows for 4K resolution video to be compressed and streamed on an Internet connection. In theory, it will even allow for 8K resolution video to be streamed. The fact that Microsoft is adding HEVC into Windows 10 shows that the company continues to anticipate the next generation of Internet video needs.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X