Sub-Titles Too Dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub-Titles Too Dark

Just ripped three Chinese movies with DVDFab 9.3.0.3 the other day and when I went to watch one of them today, I found the sub-titles were too dark to even read. So I checked the other two movies and they were the same.

The movies I ripped were as follows:

Iceman (2014)
    Kundo: Age of the Rampant (2014)
    The Assassin (2015)

Past rips the sub-titles usually were like yellow or white most of the time with the occasional bright green or bright blue sub-titles.

Attached is the dvdfab_internal.log for these three rips
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ゲゲゲの鬼太郎; 06-12-2016, 10:18 PM. Reason: Edited for Spelling

Try turning off auto-cropping and see if it makes a difference?
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

The sub-titles are there, they are just too dark to be readable while watching the film.

On my home TV, I use CyberLink PowerDVD to watch my movies and while trying to watch "Iceman" The titles appear kinda like a dark brownish yellow against a dark background.

I tried using VLC Media Player and you can't even see the sub-titles against the dark background.

When I go somewhere, I use a Roku 4 with an External had drive. All my movies are encoded in .Mkv format.

Now when I skip through to other parts of the movie or check through the other two movies for say daylight scenes, the subtitles appear to be dark brown, possibly black and so heavy (like too much ink run together) that it's hard to make out what's written.

Just for the hell of it it instead of disregarding what you asked, I went into the settings and unchecked "Auto Crop" then ripped "Iceman" again.

No difference, the sub-titles were the same.

I made sure the sub-titles were there before making my original post.
      Last edited by ゲゲゲの鬼太郎; 06-13-2016, 01:31 AM. Reason: Edited to add extra information

Comment

Have you tried extracting them? PowerDVD will import the idx very nicely.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Never tried extracting the sub-titles as they've always shown just fine previously.

That is to say, in the past I've never had a problem with sub-titles as they have always shown in a light color that is easy enough to read, most commonly white or a yellow similar to that of the windows explorer icon.

Just got up a half hour ago and my wife already left for work and she took the DVD's with her for a Coworker to borrow.

I'm on Eastern Standard Time (-5:00 UTC)

Comment

After my last reply, I realized I posted this thread in the wrong forum.

It should have been posted in the DVDFab DVD Ripper / Blu-ray Ripper (3D Plus) forum.

Well, today I got another DVD which I tried to rip to my hard drive with the same results.

Lost in Hong Kong (2015)

This DVD has the same opening as the other movies that I've had problems with sub-titles, WELL GO USA Entertainment. I don't know if that's a financial backer or what, as they also list Enlight Pictures Co. Ltd which I assume is the studio.

I checked out the DVD first and the sub-titles were white and within the boundaries of the video itself.

But after ripping the DVD to .mkv format the sub-titles were a dark mustard yellow showing in the black borders above and below the video. They were dark enough to be hard to read while watching.

I've also gone into my collection and checked some of my past rips and none of them had this problem.

It's actually been a while since I've ripped any Asian films so I don't know when this bug first appeared.

Maybe it's a new form of protection for foreign films?

Cause who would want to rip them if they can't understand what is being said because of unreadable sub-titles?

you mentioned extracting the sub-titles.
            What software would you recommend using for this?

Then again, I personally don't feel we should have to extract the sub-titles, then import the files with the program we're using to watch the film.

DVDFab should be able to handle the sub-titles just fine. It's just a matter of finding out what's causing this problem.

Just in case you're wondering, for my .mkv settings,

Codec: H264
            Frame Rate: (Same as source)
            Split: No Split
            Encoding Method: High Quality encoding (2-pass)
            Deinterlacing (checked)
            Video Quality: Customized
            Preserve Chapters (checked)
            Bit/Pixel: .25
            Codec: AAC
            Channels: 5.1 Multichannel
            Mode: Remux into File

The few I didn't list are automatically populated.

Comment

Just use Fab to extract the subs, it will extract two files separate from the movie. See attached:
              Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees!

I always saw that, but was blindsided and as a result didn't realize that last section was for sub-titles. :LOL:

Seeing the word Remux I think is what did it as I most certainly did not connect it with sub-titles.

Talk about feeling foolish after all this time of using this program.

Comment

Nothing to feel foolish about, if you never use it why would you be familiar with it? And if it works you would only use it on these troubling discs. Hope it works for you. Just keep the three resulting files in the same folder.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Well I extracted the sub-title files and it worked as you said.

But.........

This does not work when using a Roku and I've got a Roku 4 which I use when I visit my daughter on the weekends who is enrolled in a private school.

Couldn't DVDFab be fixed so as to prevent this problem with sub-titles on DVDs from WELL GO USA Entertainment?

BTW....

As you can see from my previous log file, I'm using an AMD Radeon video card.

More precisely, an HD 5770

Should I get the chance, I hope to upgrade this year to one of the newest cards, possibly an nVidia card.

Comment

Working...
                    X