No announcement yet.

Black border on 3D movies (left eye)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Black border on 3D movies (left eye)

Hi

Just wondering if anyone else experiences this, or can explain why?

The left eye on most 3d movies seems to have a black border on the left hand side for some scenes, but the center point that splits the left and right eye is static, with the right eye always the same width. It seems to be only the left eye width that keeps changing.

I will say occasionally it doesn't happen (or is so infrequent it's not noticed), but on most movies it does happen, but still infrequently. However it's unmissable for Captain America: Civil War, it's all over the place.

Have a look a the attachments. This scene was just a random pick, with the images being around 5-10 seconds apart. I've taken the images as a 2 copy to show off the issue more as the frame is bigger. The whole movie is like this.

I've also tried the conversion on 9.2.3.7 to see if it's something that gotten worse or been introduced in a newer version, but it's the same as on the latest version 9.3.2.1.

As I said, I'm just looking to see if anyone else has this issue, know why, or simply wants to comment....
    Attached Files

I can see this only because you said to look for it.Some tv's may show it more than others because the over scan control may be set different some let you adjust this so you see less at the edges.Because most people don't look at the screen edges but center screen it's not noticeable unless looked for.As to why that's another question do you notice it at all when playing the movie from disk in Full 3d? How about watching from disk in 2d?
    Then you don't say if you used the ripper or copy modual I see it with my copy made with the ripper in side by side 3d mode but I watch on a 150 inch screen (12.5 feet) so it doesn't ever bother me.This could be a side effect of the overlapping of the 2 images in 3d mode I really don't know as I never looked for it before you can try a few things if it bothers you the copy mode makes a uncompressed side by side try it or try using all software in Fab and see if they produce any difference.Of cause Fab can always make a full 3d copy or full 3d main movie as whats on the store brought disk if needed.Also in your screenshots you have large borders on the left and right maybe to show the effect more but for 3d viewing you must enlarge the picture to full screen so those borders are gone for the most part on the left and right sides.
    Last edited by 3dman; 11-24-2016, 02:46 AM. Reason: Added line

Comment

Would this help ?? - http://www.dvdfab.cn/tutorial/crop-v...out-black-bars

Comment

That won't work for 3d on the left and right sides it may mess it all up if messed with as in side by side the tv must put the left and right pictures together.

Comment

Screenshot 1 shows movie as side by side 3d before the tv put them together not at full screen so you see borders left and right sides.The top and bottom is black boarders because picture is also letterboxed. Fabs default setting takes the black bars out before encoding the movie anyway the black bars above and below the picture are not encoded into the movie to do so would waste room so Fab will auto crop them out anyway what you see are still black space but not encoded into the film.

Screenshot two also shows the side by side pictures before the tv turns them into 1 3d picture but this is at (full screen) the regular 3d setting to watch any movie 3d or not to fill the screen with whats on the film not enlarging in any way it's just that your computer as part of windows shows large and smaller sizes when showing any video 3d or not.

Here you see no boarders on the left and right side just the top and bottom where Fab removed the letterboxed bars to save space and to encode/decode just the picture info. the black bars are whats left on the top and bottom their not in the picture anymore even though they appear as black bars above and below the picture.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 3dman; 11-24-2016, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and sorry about the delay in getting back.

October 262 - 3dman7 is correct in that crop'ing to remove all evidence of the 'jumping around left side' would reduce the left eye's horizontal pixel count and throw off the 3D effect significantly as instead of 960x960 horizontal it'd be say 900x960. Cheers though.

3dman7 - Just to work through your comments:
            • My TV is set to just scan, so it should be pixel perfect with no over/under scanning or scaling.
            • I generally buy 3D disks, thinking that I could rip a 2d version and keep the 3d original disk for when I fancy 3d. The 2d copy is handy for children as you'll know 3d and children's eyes don't go well together. I have actually returned "Captain America: Civil War" and asked for a 2d version... curious to see if it has the same issue or it's 3d specific.
            • I normally take a disk image, then convert the disk image ... potentially not required now adays, but this was a throwback from version 8 when direct ripping could introduce audio sync issues the longer the movie. I hadn't tried directly playing the 3d disk image, but I'm not really interested in storing that for playback.
            • The large borders on the left and right, were because it was being played in VLC from a 2d rip, 1 for ease of getting a screenshot, and 2 to make the image larger so the border was more visible as opposed to uploading 3 SBS images. There actually isn't any borders, If you look at the top an bottom of the images you can see where the actual image start/stops (as it's more grey than black).

Actually, the more I'm reading, and specifically when I get to your second post. It seems that your talking about the borders in general...I talking about the left eye image within the border with the 960x960 horizontal. I've re-uploaded the images with pointers...
            Attached Files

Comment

I understand and see what your saying but 3d is not suppose to play when not in full screen when you fill the whole screen with picture this effect is on the far edges of the screen and if you look for it in changes from one shot to a new shot you can see the effect if you look for it I agree it shouldn't be like this perhaps it's a disk problem as I don't see it on other 3d disks do you?

You can try converting in the copy mode main movie in advanced setting select side by side 3d and see if the uncompressed mkv side by side also displays this effect so we will know if it's a compressing problem or just a bad pressing of this disk.

Comment

Working...
              X