Soft subs no longer working properly on mkv rips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Soft subs no longer working properly on mkv rips

I've made more mkv's than I can count with fab over the years using subs remuxed into the file with no problems at all. I haven't made any in a while, at least for the past several versions, and now that I'm trying to make them again the subs are not displaying correctly. Something happened in the last several versions of 10 that messed something up concerning subtitles on rips.

I'm ripping the main movie with 1 audio track and 1 sub track. That's the file I'm loading to make the mkv from.

There can be someone talking and there will be no subs at all. There can be a group of people having a conversation and there will be one sentence at the bottom of the screen that doesn't change throughout the entire conversation. I would estimate that only about 50-60% of the subs are actually being displayed. Most of the time people talk and no subs are displayed at all. When played from disc all of the subs display properly so I know they're there.

I have tried both PGS and SUB remuxed into the file and SUB as an external file and none work properly anymore. The only way to get fab to properly display all of the subs now is to hardcode them which I really don't want to do. I even went back and re-ripped some other movies which I did using an older version of 10 which work fine and those same movies done with the newest version of 10 all have messed up subs. Something has definitely changed. I used to be able to do this with no issues but now even movies that previously worked with remuxed subs do not.

At first I thought it was a problem with the Roku or Plex but I have played the mkv's on multiple PC's using multiple players, including FabPlayer, and the subs are simply not displaying properly no matter what I play the mkv with.

I tried MakeMKV and the resulting huge file displayed the soft subs properly when turned on. So I used Fab to compress that file and it messed the subs up again. So I used Handbrake to compress that file and the subs all displayed properly after compression. But I really don't want to use MakeMKV and Handbrake because it takes hours to do what Fab does in 10-15 minutes because Handbrake doesn't use CUDA to compress. Which also rules out any 4K mkv's those would take forever.

Really need some help getting this working again.

Well, after thinking about Handbrake working without using CUDA I disabled CUDA in Fab and tried again. This time it did produce a useable mkv with working soft subs. However; the estimated size was way off. I know it's just an estimate but it's always close. This estimated to be 4.6 GB and ended up being over 9 GB. In all the time I've used Fab I've never seen it that far off.

Any ideas on why CUDA is messing it up? It didn't used to.

Comment

Hi, please post dvdfab_internal.log file and fabcheck_internal.log file. Thanks.

Comment

I'll post some logs tonight. I've already cleared the logs of the other movies to make it easier to find the specific logs I would need in the future. I will be attempting The Grandmaster tonight.

Yesterday I updated my Nvidia drivers to the newest ones released on 8-1 but that did not help.

Comment

OK here's the log for Donnie Brasco that I just tried to convert real fast. The subs are not working properly because CUDA was enabled. It's the same as before. Either people are speaking but no subs are displayed or one sentence will appear in the subs during an entire conversation. This is the dvdfab internal log. I don't know where the fabcheck internal log is, it's not in the folder with all of the other logs.
          Attached Files

Comment

The fabcheck_internal.log file is in the same location as the dvdfab_internal.log file, please check image attached.
            Please also list other movies that have the same subtitle problem. Thanks.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	LOG path.png Views:	1 Size:	64.6 KB ID:	357658
            Attached Files

Comment

OK here's the logs for The Grandmaster both using CUDA [ATTACH]n357672[/ATTACH] and with CUDA disabled [ATTACH]n357671[/ATTACH]. It's the same as before. The mkv using CUDA the subs don't work properly. The mkv with CUDA disabled the subs work properly.

Here's the fabcheck log. I think I included all of the newest entry. It's hard to tell there's no spaces between entries. It wasn't in the folder with the other logs Click image for larger version

Name:	logs.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	357673 but I found it doing a search.

21:36:10:963 info: main: The Fabcheck 1,0,7,7 - Mon Aug 06 16:36:10 2018

21:36:10:981 info: DetectAllVideoCardInfos: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 24.21.13.9882
              21:36:10:985 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: Cards = 1, Enables = 1
              21:36:10:987 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
              21:36:11:049 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB - 24.21.13.9882 - 6.1
              21:36:11:120 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: device_count - 1 - cuda_api_version = 9020 -
              21:36:11:123 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: bTCC - 0 - computeMode = 0 -
              21:36:11:125 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: major = 6, minor = 1, clockRate = 1835000
              21:36:11:128 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: deviceName - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB - benchmark divided by 10000 = 234880 -
              21:36:11:130 info: DetectVideoCard_CUDA: bestCudaDetectInfo 1,0,234880,6,1,GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, os 11
              21:36:11:139 info: fab_check::check_cuda: cudaStatus = 0 , modeType = 504 , devCap = 1
              21:36:11:141 info: fab_check::check_cuda: AcquireWriteBlock OK.
              21:36:11:143 info: IntelCPUInfo::IsIntelMediaSDKSupport: nProcessorSignature = 306c3, platform = 5
              21:36:11:145 info: IntelCPUInfo::IsIntelMediaSDKSupport: strCPUBrand = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50GHz
              21:36:11:148 info: fab_check::check_intelcodec: modeType = 0 , b_isQuickSyncVideoIntelCpu = 1, Minor = 0, PlatForm = 5
              21:36:11:151 info: main: end

I've tried over a dozen movies and the subs are messed up on all of them when CUDA is enabled. Some of them were IP Man 1, 2, and 3, The Final Fight, Avengers, Alien Covenant, 13 Hours, Doctor Strange, The Grandmaster, Outpost, Donnie Brasco, The Last Jedi, Rogue One. Everything that I try to make an mkv with the subs are messed up when CUDA was enabled.

On a side note, this may have started when I got the new 1060. I don't recall this ever happening with my old 560 using CUDA but it still took about 30 minutes to finish not 10 minutes like the 1060. Is it possible the 1060 is doing it too fast and that's what's messing something up?

Comment

I have forwarded the problem and the log files to our developers for checking, we will update you ASAP. Thanks.

Comment

I made a 4K mkv rip of Predator with CUDA enabled not really expecting it to work but to my surprise it did. The soft subs all displayed correctly. I have since tried to make many more mkv's using regular blurays and the soft subs on the mkv don't work properly on any of them when CUDA was used but the soft subs all work properly when CUDA was disabled. I've attached the log file for the 4K Predator rip.

Using CUDA on Full Disc and Main Movie modes still works OK. This seems to only affect regular blurays on the Ripper section (I haven't tried DVD yet).
                  Attached Files

Comment

Okay, thank you for the update, file received.

Comment

UPDATE: We could not reproduce the problem with the movie sources we have, is it possible that you upload one of the problematic source and send it to us?

Comment

What are some of the sources that were used so I can use one of the same so they will be able to see the difference? I just tried another Blu-Ray today with 10209 hoping that fixed it but it did not. People were speaking and no subs were showing. There was a conversation with one sentence at the bottom throughout the entire thing or at the end of the conversation like 6 sentences would display in fast succession instead of displaying when that senence was actually being spoken.

Edit: I'll do IP Man. It's a chinese movie that I'll include English subs on so you can see just how much is missing from what's being said. Where do I send it?
                        Last edited by Diaboyos; 08-17-2018, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Here is the log when I used CUDA to compress the mkv of IP Man. Also please look here https://imgur.com/a/2VaOU22 to see examples of what I'm talking about what it does. This is three instances of the subtitles messing up just within the first 5 minutes of the movie. It does this throughout every bluray that I use the GPU to compress the mkv.

When the movie was created into mkv where the GPU was not used to compress it all of the subtitles display properly.

When an mkv did use the GPU to compress it the subtitles either get stuck while other people have already begun to speak or when someone speaks it simply shows no subtitles at all.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Diaboyos; 08-18-2018, 02:36 AM.

Comment

OK last night I took out the 1060 and put my old 560 back in to test. The soft sub issue does not exist using the 560. I can use Cuda to compress with the 560 and it doesn't mess up the subs. I've included some logs from movies I did overnight using the 560 and the soft subs work fine on all of them. I'm putting the 1060 back in now. On a side note, the 560 did not fix the 3D half side-by-side problem I'm also having where it puts a space in between the two images. I used the 560 for years without a single issue but now it's doing that too. But it did fix the soft sub issue which means it's something with the 1060 that's causing it? I'm putting the 1060 back in now and testing the same movies to see if the problems remain.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have replaced the 560 back with my 1060 and the soft sub problem has returned. The subs once again either no longer display or get "stuck" while other people have already begun to speak if I use the GPU to create the MKV.

Using the GTX 560 with driver version 391.35 (the newest for that card) the subtitles displayed properly.

Using the GTX 1060 with driver version 398.82 (the newest for that card) the subtitles do not display properly.

Why would the soft subs work properly with an old 560 but not a 1060?

Comment

Working...
                              X