Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AGJ thankyou for noticeing, the 1Gb VOB file size is something that just happened it used to show no split

Comment

Your welcome and I am doing the conversion now straight from the Harry Potter DVD so should be done in about an hour. The last VOB I did was back in September and never had these files created so do want to see why they are created. Will post my results once finished

Comment

the screenshot of settings I posted was from daredevil I was doing same test diff movie, same result as the Harry Potter. I guess I have discovered another issue in that the VOB passthrough profile does not stay or give you 1 VOB - maybe a bad profile?

Comment

OK. I did some tests with 7.0.2.7 and 7.0.4.0

1. The SUB/IDX files ARE created with 7.0.2.7 but are NOT created with 7.0.4.0
          2. The SUB & IDX files are DEFINITELY subtitle files.

The IDX file contains the timing, poisitioning, etc of the subtitles and can be opened with notepad to confirm this.

The SUB file contains the subtitles in GRAPHICAL format.

Both files can be opened by a utility such as DVDSub Edit, etc to confirm this.

Back to my original question!!!

Why do you need these files anyway as the subtitle info IS contained within the VOB container???
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I thought those files were used by the software on my WHS "meta browser" in order to return the meta data that Win media center used to display posters movie information etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dad812 View Post
              I thought those files were used by the software on my WHS "meta browser" in order to return the meta data that Win media center used to display posters movie information etc.
              That is the XML file created which is on the Full Disc and main movie rip if selected in Common settings of DVDFab. The mobile formats do not create that and your meta Browser I think uses something else that is embedded into the VOB

Comment

will try some more tests, do I need to start another thread to look into the Split problem?

Comment

I still beg to ask the question!!!

Why are you doing it like this?

Why not just rip each disk either Full Disk or Main Movie to a folder, have the XML file created and leave your media centre handle the rest?
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

just finished and the idx does not get created for the version of dvdfab I using

Comment

still learning about using my WMC and PS3 with my WHS so that I have 1 backup in 1 location that both(WMC/PS3) can play. WMC will display the mete data but the PS3 will not. A single VOB file gives me a unreencoded file as close to the origional. I am open to better ways but need to give both systems A file they can use.

Comment

is thier a way to main movie in 1 VOB file?

Comment

No, there is not.

I would be looking at what other formats you could use and I think your constraint is going to be the PS3.

I would give the generic.avi.h264.audiocopy (Always select the Dolby 5.1 soundtrack) profile a try starting at around 2000 bitrate. You can always use ABCAVI Tag editor (Free Download) to edit the tags but I don't know whether WMC/PS3 wil pick these up.

Also, don't forget that VOB's are in MPEG2 video format whereas the new formats such as H264 is far more efficient so you just have to find the quality thay YOU are happy with by trial & error.

Comment

Thank you for your help in this matter...

Comment

Working...
                            X