Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie require non techy help to get BD-Mobile file to play on PS3!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentlemen, I want to apologize for confusion I have created. I don't have PS3, never had one, I believe never seeing one. All I have understood that guy have network HDD and he want single file with less quality loss is possible be accessible from his PS3. Since he has HD quality in mind, my understanding, .ts or .m2ts will be good for him.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

No need to apologize Ipopov50. I have read most of you post and respect and look forward to any input you provide.

As far as the .m2ts and ts files being better for him. Thats a little yes and no depending on which direction he decides to go with his media library. The mkv container will not hurt him though since mkv files have the attention finally of most software/hardware of most Hd community. With the added support remux back should not be an issue if he so desires.

Comment

Thank you for a good word.
        You don't have to talk me into mkv. I'm all mkv guy. I have everything stored in mkv, on HDDs. MKV my favorite container, and I think I can do pretty much everything with it, except editing metas and menu (it's not supported yet, but guys at Core are working on it)

Originally posted by directeeccks View Post
        No need to apologize Ipopov50. I have read most of you post and respect and look forward to any input you provide.

As far as the .m2ts and ts files being better for him. Thats a little yes and no depending on which direction he decides to go with his media library. The mkv container will not hurt him though since mkv files have the attention finally of most software/hardware of most Hd community. With the added support remux back should not be an issue if he so desires.
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

P.S. You can stream the DTS audio to ps3 but not the hd audio. So no need to downgrade the audio anymore to AC3. Like I said the computer handles the container for the real time transcoding and its not really taxing on the cpu/graphics card.
          It would be nice to know what PS3 firmware you think enabled DTS audio from a file. I've seen reports as late as the 17th of this month on the PS3 forums that it still does not work. Maybe it is just that PS3 Media Server is transcoding the audio on the fly for you.

Comment

Complication

You are right it is the streamer transcoding it. The only reason I said anything about keeping it and not downgrading is just for future proofing the files to keep the integrity of the video file. Honestly I do not know if I get true DTS when streaming with the end result of playback through stream. I just strive to make a media library that keeps me from having to go back and re rip everything just to get the DTS audio back. I pray HDaudio support comes soon before I finish my collection.

The one thing I dont seem to understand is though it has no problem with disc.(like bd9) Just the files with dts that have issues from attached hdd or from internal hdd.

Comment

Complication

You are right it is the streamer transcoding it. The only reason I said anything about keeping it and not downgrading is just for future proofing the files to keep the integrity of the video file. Honestly I do not know if I get true DTS when streaming with the end result of playback through stream. I just strive to make a media library that keeps me from having to go back and re rip everything just to get the DTS audio back. I pray HDaudio support comes soon before I finish my collection.

The one thing I dont seem to understand is though it has no problem with disc.(like bd9) Just the files with dts that have issues from attached hdd or from internal hdd.
              There are very few people that have a good enough audio system and can tell the difference between DTS and AC-3.

It isn't that the PS3 cannot handle DTS and VC-1 from a file. It is that Sony has chosen to block DTS and VC-1 from a file. Remember, they are a film distribution company too.

Comment

Thanks for all the great input - even if I am a bit baffled!
                One point I have picked up on (if I understand correctly) -
                the PS3 cannot itself play a mkv file but it is possible by getting to the PC to 'play' the file and then stream the results direct to the PS3/TV.
                If I have the mkv file stored on separate NAS, and use the PS3 to play the file direct from there, then the PC will not be doing decoding - hence it wil not work?

Also, do I understand that PS3 cannot stream/play Hi Def audio?
                This coudl explain why I have used DVD2Mob a few times using the PS3 output option - this seems to make a .mp4 file - which plays great but with no sound! Do I have to change the settings somehow to get the audio to work?

Comment

mcawsey,

Well as far as hooking a nas up you may still be able to stream it to your ps3 depending on if it is within the limitations of the software/operating system of the ps3. You may have to look on your own for the specs for both aswell as forums for both.

So basically it will never be a simple process I'm sorry to say due to ps3 limitations.

Now if you have a nas or are planing to buy one.(they are nice) i suggest looking into some other type of set top boxes(other than the ps3) that have little limitations. There are more and more coming out everyday. They play hd files no problems with subs. Most of them only support dts and not hd audio. This is due too license cost.(most of the set tops are 100 to 200 dollars) Some have netflix,hulu,and others as some perks with them. Some can play dvd iso with menu support.(hoping bluray menu support will come soon)

I personally have a wdtv live and it works great with dvdfab backups. You have to remove the hd audio but you will still have dts to get it to work. I dont stream to this player cause the bitrate is far to high and shutters on blu ray.(my backup here are full non compressed) I have a direct connected hard drive. The picture is great and the player has a very user friendly menu. I can take a back up on my computer hdd and get it to my connected hdd on the wdtv without having to dissconnect/reconnect the hdd through my network. which is very nice most set tops out now can do this. The only thing that bugs me on the wdtv is the 2 usb port only with no usb hub support. This player will get the job done as far as making it a little easy on you and your family but like i said there are a sea of set tops coming out.

One i have been looking at is the seagate media player and there are some pros to it that may have to make me spend my money again. It has all the things the the wdtv has plus usb hub support so you are not limited to the 2 usb on the box.(this will be important to you since you want full quality rips) It has volume control. The file system folders are bigger so blu ray cover art is easy to see. Has an option for a wireless adapter. The list goes on.

I am sure you will find the right one for you after doing some research. I know exactly what your trying to do with your media center. I am pretty much now on the same path as you. I need simplicity as well as performance/quality with the least amount of work/time put into it. I have spent way to much time trying to get the ps3 to work. Between all the programs and compressing video I feel after more then 30 hours put into it that it should work well and it doesnt. I rather spend the money and know it works rather then waste anymore of time. Thus I give you some advice to steer away from the ps3 as your all in one media center. You have alot more options that is better suited for your needs.

Sorry for the rant.

Cheers!

Comment

mcawsey,

I have been where you are and I can tell you that I use the DVDFAB Blu-Ray to Mobile PS3 option and store the resulting files on a UPNP enabled NAS (a D-link 323). The kids and wife seem to like that just fine. A couple of things to note:

1) Be sure to figure out the sub-picture (subtitles to you and me) settings. They frustrated me for a while - for most movies you can just turn them off completly.

2) Beware the DVD side of things. Last I tried DVD-to-Mobile on the PS3 setting, the center channel audio was re-located to a side speaker (this was fixed on the Blu-Ray side but for some reason not on the DVD side). When I prepare a DVDs for the PS3, I use DVDfab to make an .iso and then use [other software] to make the PS3 file.

3) For my movies and those that I want to maintain quality, I use the MKV setting and watch them via a HTPC (which my wife and kids cannot seem to get the hang of). I am experimenting with a friends WDLive and that seems just fine - but I am not ready yet to give up the HTPC and knowing my wife she will not want to move off the PS3.

Overall I am please with the PS3 and using DVDFab for Blu-Rays and [other software] for DVDs. In fact, I am increasingly skipping the MKVs and just using the PS3 settings for the run-of-the-mill movies as I really do not see that much of a difference in most movies.

gjoyce3
                    Last edited by Complication; 05-10-2010, 01:34 PM. Reason: Remove non-allowed software references

Comment

Originally posted by mcawsey
                      Quote:

MKV.H264 in BD to Mobile will convert the VC-1 and make it playable on the PS3. I believe that mkv2vob is also able to convert the DTS to AC3 which fixes that problem. "

Hi thanks fore help. I am using
                      Blu Ray -> Mobile (PS3)
                      The BD I have has audio "DTS-HD"
                      Output format is ps3.mp4.hd

There is the "Remove HD Audio" grayed out

I don't change of the additional settings, mainly because I don't know what they are!

When the process is complete I have a single file, and when I stream it from my Netgear NAS to my PS3 I get a great picture but no audio/sound at all.

I guess this has something to do with your commetn about DTS. Can you please tell me how to copy a BD to Mobile for PS3 that has the audio, when the source is DTS-HD
                      You also mention mkv2vob...whatever that is!
                      Apologies for my ignorance

Thanks
                      Please use the forums for help rather than PM. Others probably have the same question.

This is not a forum to discuss the usage of mkv2vob. Try google.

Comment

Working...
                      X