This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper low sound volume

Anyone having issues with low volume.. I can hear the background music just fine, but the conversation, etc is all really quiet and I have to crank up the TV to hear it, i've tried playing the same file on the computer and it sounds fine. It happens on 2 different tv's with 2 different laptops connected, one connecting via the audio port to a receiver, and the other transferring the audio signals via HDMI.

I'm using the generic.avi.h264.audiocopy profile. If I switch to a profile where I can bump up the sound then its louder though sound quality is worse.

As the audiocopy option usually copies the DD5.1 surround track this is not unusual as the TV will not be decoding all the channels.

This track is untouched from the DVD and that is also why the volume cannot be changed as it would defeat the purpose of audiocopy.

What you will have to look at is getting the surround sound "downmixed" from 5.1 to 2 channel stereo on your PC before it is sent to the TV.

You should be able to set this up in your PC somewhere, usually in the sound card properties but there a quite a few downloadable utilities able to do this also.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

thanks that got me going in the right direction and with some google searches and some more knowledge I found what I needed and I will post it here in case someone else experiences the same issue. I use klite codecs for playing my video and under the group there is another group called configuration, and an application called ffdshow audio decoder, load this up. On the left hand side of the app there will be a section called mixer which has a check mark, select this so it is hightlighted, and under this there is a configuration item called output speakers configuration, drop that down from 5 channel to stereo, then apply and ok.

Comment

I'm actually having this problem while ripping Blu Ray to Blu Ray via ISO. I'm backing up The Informant and the volume was noticeably lower. If I play it from the source BR, it sounds fine. I'm in the process of re-ripping to see if the first rip was just a fluke, but I'm curious if anybody has an idea of what might be going on. I've just started backing up my BRs and the first that I did, Dark Knight, didn't have this problem. It didn't appear that I had many options to change that may effect this. Any input is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_NYC View Post
          I'm actually having this problem while ripping Blu Ray to Blu Ray via ISO. I'm backing up The Informant and the volume was noticeably lower. If I play it from the source BR, it sounds fine. I'm in the process of re-ripping to see if the first rip was just a fluke, but I'm curious if anybody has an idea of what might be going on. I've just started backing up my BRs and the first that I did, Dark Knight, didn't have this problem. It didn't appear that I had many options to change that may effect this. Any input is appreciated.
          Read post #2.

Comment

I guess I don't understand that posting. I've never had to make tweaks like that when ripping my dvd's, although I do those to file structure. Also, I was hoping that the second posting was more relevant to Blu Ray to Mobile vs. Blu Ray to Blu Ray. I was going to make a posting in the latter forum, but when I searched "volume", this forum was the only one that came up that had the issue that I had. Soooo..., I'm not sure what I need to do. I don't change anything from the DVDFab default settings, so I don't even know what "profile" I'm using. Also, I'm playing off HTPC which is connected to my home theater via hdmi..so I'm not sure the comment about the "TV not decoding all the channels is relevant". I assume my receiver is able to decode the DD5.1.

Clearly you can tell that I'm a bit confused. I'm wonderig if I shouldn't go back to my original thought of ripping BR to file structure versus ISO/virtual drive. Would I have the same problem?

Lastly, I would imagine that this is a common issue? I'm curious as to how people deal with it.

Comment

Are you using klite codec on your HTPC, and have you checked the setting I posted about?

Comment

To be honest, I don't quite follow the process. I really have no idea what codecs I'm using. I recently purchased the viewsonic vot550 mini Pc, and am using Windows Media Server and MyMovies to play movies off my hard drive. So I imagine it's whatever codec package that comes with Windows 7 32 bit. Btw, I'm using Virtual Clone Drive for mounting ISO...dvdfab's didn't work with MyMovies.

I did google the klite but I'd rather not download a bunch of stuff is there's another solution. I just think it's odd that this problem would be occurring for something that seems pretty straightforward. Further, I don't see anybody else really complaining about it, particularly in the Blu Ray to Blu Ray area.

Further thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

FFDShow is available for dowload by itself. Google it.
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks, I did google it, but I'm still confused. I think this stuff is just over my head. I'll download it as it sounds like it's the only solution for now. Does this application run in the background? Does it "filter" everytime the ripped movie is played or only when the movie is being ripped via DVDfab? If I've ripped a couple of movies, do I need to rip them again after this app is running so I don't have the low volume issue? I assume once I download this app, I should make the changes under "Mixer" that gpb68 did?

To take a step back, which I think will help me understand this issue better, is if somebody could explain the cause of the issue? From what I've been reading, an ISO is simply an image of the native BR. I'm stumped as to why a ripped ISO would play at a lower volume when being played back off the hard drive. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_NYC View Post

To take a step back, which I think will help me understand this issue better, is if somebody could explain the cause of the issue? From what I've been reading, an ISO is simply an image of the native BR. I'm stumped as to why a ripped ISO would play at a lower volume when being played back off the hard drive. Thanks again.
                      Correct, ISO is a picture of your original disc, but "playing" process is more complicated these days, than it was in "vinyl" era.
                      Your sound is good as it on original BD. However, when your device attempt to play it, digital sound (which is nothing, but bunch of numbers) has to go through the filter(s) to convert those numbers into actual sound that you can hear. And when those filters aren't working right (for whatever reason), you getting disappointed, to say at least. So, what was suggested to you so far is to fix those filters, that they will work right and treat you with crisp sound.
                      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Ok, thanks that is helpful. I will do the recommendations over the weekend and report back.

Comment

Guys, I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to report back, but between traveling and frankly, frustration from not finding a solution to this, I hadn't spent much time on this issue since my last posting. Hopefully some of you will check back on this forum and see this.

As I alluded to, I followed the steps in posting #3, i.e., installing klite codec and changing my speaker confi in ffdshow to stereo (which was already selected), and this did not solve my low volume issue.

It should be noted that before installing klite, it appeared as though my computer was using using Realtek codec. Is anybody familiar with that? In any case, it too was selected as a stereo output versus five channel. Obviously this wasn't working

I wonder if this is an issue using the MyMovies interface out of Windows Media Manager? Further, having to do with the ISO mounting through VCD? Perhaps I should post a question on MyMovies forum?

Any other thoughts as to what could be the issue?

Lastly, I'd like to continue my blu-ray back ups (via ISO) while I'm troubleshooting this issue but I don't want to do it if the volume issue is a product of my ripping. It seems that this is more of a playback issue? Will I be wasting time if I continue to rip to ISO with this issue unresolved?

Comment

Instead of using the VCD use the DVDFab virtual drive and install this plug in below to use Media center as well as it intigrates the DVFab virtual drive with media center.

I not read the entire thread yet but think this could help you as well

Comment

I certainly don't mind installing the DVDFab virtual drive and in fact, I would prefer it. However, I use MyMovies within Windows Media Center and MM recommends VCD (and almost makes it sound like that's the only mounting software that will work with MM). If that is not the case, and you think that could solve my volume problem, I will certainly go that route.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X