No announcement yet.

Jagged Edges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump. Same issue. I have tv dvds backing up waiting to be backed up.

Comment

Originally posted by vz333 View Post
      Bump. Same issue. I have tv dvds backing up waiting to be backed up.
      Instead of bumping a almost 2 month old thread that was not even started by you create a new thread with details found in the Help Us Help You sticky

Comment

Deinterlace not working

I have the exact same issue with Friends (NTSC region 1, extended, Dolby 5.0). When I use other program I can produce a perfect 3-pass full resolution 720*480 with locked aspect ratio 4:3. DVDFab is superior in most areas, but in this case it fails: Best result I got with DVDFab DVD Ripper was AVC 640*480 with jagged interlaced lines.
        Last edited by AGJ; 01-03-2011, 02:11 AM. Reason: General Policies

Comment

Originally posted by protrader View Post
          Excuse my ignorence, but are not all tv series interlaced?
          Not any more. Most are shot in HD and converted down for what ever format is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLorean View Post
            I have the exact same issue with Friends (NTSC region 1, extended, Dolby 5.0). When I use other program I can produce a perfect 3-pass full resolution 720*480 with locked aspect ratio 4:3. DVDFab is superior in most areas, but in this case it fails: Best result I got with DVDFab DVD Ripper was AVC 640*480 with jagged interlaced lines.
            Edit the .xml file for the profile you use in ..\dvdfab 8\profiles\

Add the following line...

<deinterlace mode="1" method="1"/> see below.

<video>
            <deinterlace mode="1" method="1"/>
            <size list="" />
            <encode codec="xvid" fourcc="DX50" bitrate_kbps="2048" >
            <mode value="real_time" list="real_time, high_quality" />
            </encode>
            </video>

This will cure all the interlace problems.

TV's will deinterlace but the problem arises because we are converting a interlaced video into a progressive video so a deinterlace filter is required.

Default is "0" auto but does not seem to auto detect correctly
            Force deinterlace "1"
            Do not deinterlace "2"

Worked on my version 8.0.6.8

Comment

I have been having this same problem using DVD to MP4 on Tim and Eric Awesome Show and The Venture Brothers. I will try this recommendation to see if it works. I hope so.

Comment

It's a Known Issue

You're not the first one to have this problem. I've posted about it and so have many many many many others. Seems DVDFab doesn't want to fix it. I've been using version 7 to rip TV shows for some time now.

Every time a new update comes out the first thing I do is test the TV rip to see if it's fixed. I'm losing hope.

Comment

So yeah, editing the profile to force deinterlace does nothing to remove the jaggedness when there is movement. Very frustrating. I don't know if it's just that Tim and Eric is just poor quality to begin with or if this is as good as it gets with DVDFab. I think I will try with other DVDs of TV shows.

Comment

Originally posted by fatcharlie View Post
                    So yeah, editing the profile to force deinterlace does nothing to remove the jaggedness when there is movement. Very frustrating. I don't know if it's just that Tim and Eric is just poor quality to begin with or if this is as good as it gets with DVDFab. I think I will try with other DVDs of TV shows.
                    Maybe the DVDFab guys should read this... and incorporate a decent filter.

As far as I know all DVD's are interlaced because they have to be compatible with old type CRT tube TV's which cannot handle progressive scan video.

And my main use of DVDFab is converting all my DVD collection to AVI or MKV to play from my network using my Asus O!Play media server. Plus converting family video from my Mpeg2 camcorder. In other words, all my input is interlaced so it is one the most important jobs of a video converter software, to have a good (the best) deinterlace filter.

From... http://www.100fps.com/

<Quote>
                    The best method (but more time consuming and bigger file size): Progressive Scan = (Weave+Bob)

Get the following the Virtualdub filter "Deinterlace - Smooth" from the website of Gunnar Thalin. Copy it to Virtualdub's "plugins" folder. Go to Virtualdub's filter menu and "Add.." this filter. You may have to check "Alternate field order" within this filter. But this depends upon your movie source.
                    <End quote>

PS. I have tried VirtualDub and it is tiresome to use.

Comment

Working...
                    X