GPU Memory Storage | VRAM Cache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request for Enlarger AI GPU Memory Storage | VRAM Cache

I do a lot of things with my computer on a daily basis and many of those things require a bit of GPU memory. A few versions ago, just watching a youtube video or doing some things in Chrome would cause the software to crash (Chrome is hardware accelerated.) But that seems to have been fixed, thank you. But in the evenings I like to play games and those eat up VRAM and either cause my game to crash, DVDFab to crash (and lose hours of work), or both.

So my main question is this: When I hit pause is there any way to pull the data out of VRAM and cache it somewhere else? Then rebuild the data into the GPU when I click continue?

Also, is there a way for the GPU to work on data sets not in VRAM? Like use this: https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/gpudirect-storage/
    If this could be done, could the program run off an NVMe and allow my GPU's VRAM to be clear while I work/play? I know this would probably cause the Enlarger to run longer as the memory speeds aren't as quick as VRAM.
    I don't know if this is something worth implementing into the software or not, maybe the use case is too small, but I know I do a lot on my pc and I'm sure a lot of others do as well. And having the GPU tied up on one task for 24 hours straight is difficult for me.

The only other options I see right now are:

A) To buy another GPU and use one for DVDFab and the other for gaming and everything else. Does DVDFab support this in any way? I know it doesn't support Dual Gpu (SLI.)

B) Can you implement a "VRAM usage option" into DVDFab and allow us to choose how much VRAM it can use? It states that four is the minimum so that would leave me 2 extra GBs for other things (RTX 2060.) Does having less VRAM cause a performance drop? Even if it does, having it run a little longer is better than it crashing and restarting.

Thank you for your time, The latest update was amazing, dropped my render times with Ultra from 60 hours to just 26 hours (With Ultra + Deblocking) for an average length movie!!

Specs:
    Ryzen 7 2700X
    16gig ram
    RTX 2060 (6gig)
    DVDFab Version: 11.0.9.7

the enlarger F&Qs say you shouldn't run any programs or play any videogames while the program is running
    otherwise you might run into conversion failure problems. - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...nlarger-ai-faq

Comment

I'm aware that the program can't run to its full potential, if at all, with other GPU demanding programs. This is a feature request, not an issue. I just can't have my GPU set aside for one task for over 24 hours straight, even while DVDFab is paused. If I need to do something with the GPU then I should be able to pause DVDFab, it should cache the VRAM, and then rebuild the data when Continue is clicked. I don't see why this can't be done.

Comment

Could I please get a response to this?

Comment

Working...
        X