Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dvdfab does not do parallel copy

dvdfab 10.2.1.3

dvdfab correctly manages multiple dvd drives. when doing "copy" 100% (no re-encoding/shrinking), dvdfab does the operations in serial order, one after the other.

for this operation, dvdfab should parallelize all the copies.

i understand for encoding, dvdfab will be CPU limited and encodes should be serialized. but for copy, the limitation is I/O and there's no reason not to parallelize.

this is going to cause dvd copy to go very very very slowly ...

I understand that on windows you can run multiple instances of dvdfab? one per dvd drive. but on mac that isn't possible, or is it?

Since most people only have one drive and normally people compress DVD9 to DVD5, we don't implement parallel copying for now.

You can run multiple instances of DVDFab to copy multiple DVDs in parallel.
    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

how do you run multiple instances on mac?

Comment

Originally posted by vdv View Post
        how do you run multiple instances on mac?

try clicking common settings - then in the general settings area check " allow running multiple instances of dvdfab

also see here - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...t-copy-rippers
        post #6 which a user has another temporary solution.

Comment

Are you even a mac user? This isn't an option on Mac. The box is there in the UI, but it's grayed out and non-selectable.

The thread you linked in fact does not have a workaround. It describes that it does not work. Post #6 concludes with "dvdfab hangs".

Comment

For the record (for anyone else that is interested), I just tried the method in the referenced post. That post is dated 12/2017 so it's now 9 months and 14 releases later. In that post he was able to actually open multiple instances of DVDFab (which then hung later). Currently, one cannot open more than one instance. Upon opening the 2nd instance ("open -n"), DVDFab complains that you have to check the "allow multiple instances" config item. Which as I noted, is not checkable on Mac.'

I went through the release notes of all 14 releases, none of them explicitly mention any removal of multi-instance on Mac. It could have been captured in a "minor fixes and improvements" item though.

Comment

@vdv

Due to the hardware limitation of Mac, we don't suggest to run more than one DVDFab on mac, it could slow down the process.

Comment

Mona well fengtao was the one who suggested it. Please, there is no hardware limitation that would make any difference whatsoever. That's nonsense.

Can you please implement parallel full disc copy. There's no reason for this to be serialized like ripping, and it works fine on Windows if you run multiple instances.

Comment

Originally posted by vdv View Post
                  Mona well fengtao was the one who suggested it. Please, there is no hardware limitation that would make any difference whatsoever. That's nonsense.

Can you please implement parallel full disc copy. There's no reason for this to be serialized like ripping, and it works fine on Windows if you run multiple instances.
                  I will pass your message to the developers first. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X