Video quality transcoding (much) worse than on Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vtpeters View Post
    An update on my experiments with the Mac version of DVDFab Blu-ray Copy...

Last evening I watched a BD25 which was a full-disc backup of a documentary on BD50 (it's actual size was 42 GB) om my stand-alone blu-ray player. The full-disc backup was made using the settings that I've described above and which have on my Mac yielded the best results so far.

I noticed that certain scenes/shots were OK, but other ones had the same kind of compression artefacts (as if a veil was draped or dragged over the image).

I still think the video quality is (far) worse than the video quality of a BD25 re-encoded with the Windows version.
    Please name the BD you have tried, maybe a copy of the BDinfo.
    Also, please send the log session from the Mac and Windows version for the backup process. Previously, you only posted the one from the Mac version.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post

Did you set the same output size for BD25 for both the Windows and Mac versions?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-20220930-113438.png
Views:	278
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	415658
      Yes, I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post

Please name the BD you have tried, maybe a copy of the BDinfo.
        Also, please send the log session from the Mac and Windows version for the backup process. Previously, you only posted the one from the Mac version.
        The name of the blu-ray / movie is Spitfire (2018).

The basis for the re-encoding was a full, uncompressed 42GB copy of the disc located in a folder (with CERTIFICATE and BDMV subfolder) on the local harddisk.

I've attached the BDinfo file of this movie and the logs of the re-encoding with the Mac version and the Windows version.

To be clear, the Windows version running in Codeweaver's CrossOver, writes its logs to the same physical location as the native Mac version. I tried to keep the information of both re-encodings separate by deleting all log files before each re-encode to BD25.

I also need to make you aware of the fact that both version are not configured the same.
        The Mac version has "Disable all GPU codecs..." enabled and "Enable Lightning-Recording" disabled. When I tried to look up these settings shortly before I typed this message, when I started DVDFab for Mac I had to re-authorize it. These settings also appeared to be different then the ones I've found to give the best video quality (see my previous post). So I cannot be sure if the re-encode with the Mac version was done with the settings mentioned her or with the setings mentioned in a previous post. I'm sorry.
        The Windows version has "Disable all GPU codecs..." disabled (and "Software" selected in all dropdown lists) and "Enable Lightning-Recording" enabled.

I hope I've supplied you with the proper information for your developers to investigate this issue further.

As a further note, due to an software update of CrossOver I got another 13 days extra trail left (otherwise the trail would have ended yesterday). So there's still some things I can try or test for you if need be.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by vtpeters; 09-30-2022, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I've been using Windows computers for a long time. I've also been using a licensed version of DVDFab Blu-ray Copy for the past several years.

I bought a new laptop and decided to go for a MacBook with M1 processor. Having used DVDFab Blu-ray Copy a lot I also bought a lifetime license for the Mac version of the program.

I've used it now for a few weeks and noticed recently that the video quality of the transcoded video stream was nog what I was used to on my Windows computer.
          I decided to install CrossOver and install the Windows x64 version of DVDFab Blu-ray Copy (for which my license is still OK) and transcode the same movie (with the same settings and everything).

And I discovered that the same version of DVDFab Blu-ray Copy does a (much) better job than the Mac version in transcoding video. The video transcoded by the Mac version is seriously lacking in quality.

I've uploaded two screenshot of the same scene / moment in the same movie. The difference image quality is very obvious.

As things are right now, I'm seriously considering swapping my lifetime license for DVDFab Blu-ray Copy for Mac to a Windows version so I can run it using CrossOver (which costs me additional money for a license).

Does anybody using the Mac version have the same experience?
          They BOTH look terrible

Comment

Originally posted by winna View Post

They BOTH look terrible
            I disagree. The video re-encoded with the Windows version is very close to the source material (the blu-ray the movie is on).

Comment

The name of the blu-ray / movie is Spitfire (2018).

The basis for the re-encoding was a full, uncompressed 42GB copy of the disc located in a folder (with CERTIFICATE and BDMV subfolder) on the local harddisk.

I've attached the BDinfo file of this movie and the logs of the re-encoding with the Mac version and the Windows version.

To be clear, the Windows version running in Codeweaver's CrossOver, writes its logs to the same physical location as the native Mac version. I tried to keep the information of both re-encodings separate by deleting all log files before each re-encode to BD25.

I also need to make you aware of the fact that both version are not configured the same.
              The Mac version has "Disable all GPU codecs..." enabled and "Enable Lightning-Recording" disabled. When I tried to look up these settings shortly before I typed this message, when I started DVDFab for Mac I had to re-authorize it. These settings also appeared to be different then the ones I've found to give the best video quality (see my previous post). So I cannot be sure if the re-encode with the Mac version was done with the settings mentioned her or with the setings mentioned in a previous post. I'm sorry.
              The Windows version has "Disable all GPU codecs..." disabled (and "Software" selected in all dropdown lists) and "Enable Lightning-Recording" enabled.

I hope I've supplied you with the proper information for your developers to investigate this issue further.

As a further note, due to an software update of CrossOver I got another 13 days extra trail left (otherwise the trail would have ended yesterday). So there's still some things I can try or test for you if need be.
              I've forwarded the info to the developer.

Comment

I disagree. The video re-encoded with the Windows version is very close to the source material (the blu-ray the movie is on).
                Hi vtpeters, have you fixed the quality issue on recoding using Mac M1?
                I have the same problem. Also, a 32GB movie generates a BD25 of only 16GB. DVDFab on an iMac with Intel I have no problem, but in Mac Studio I can't get a re-encoding with the same quality as on iMac with Intel.​

Comment

Originally posted by arivag View Post

Hi vtpeters, have you fixed the quality issue on recoding using Mac M1?
                  I have the same problem. Also, a 32GB movie generates a BD25 of only 16GB. DVDFab on an iMac with Intel I have no problem, but in Mac Studio I can't get a re-encoding with the same quality as on iMac with Intel.​
                  Same here.

I have set the H.264 option in the "AV Codec" settings to "Mac OpenCL" and got rid of those artefacts that looked like fog super-imposed over the original video.

And, like you, I've experienced that a 30-something movie re-encoded to BD25 resulted in a 12GB of data.

I'm seriously considering changing my lifetime license of DVDFab for Mac to a lifetime license to DVDFab for Windows and use Codeweaver's Crossover so I can run it on my MacBook M1 Pro. I need an additional $75,- license for Crossover, but that seems to be the only way to solve this issue for me.

It's taking way to long for DVDFab / Fengtao to resolve this issue. I only know that the software-only settings for the A/V codec settings, as suggested in previous posts, are NOT the solution to this problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X