MP4 remuxed subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP4 remuxed subtitles

If the subtitles are remuxed in an mp4 the subs are displayed in the center of the screen. The same mp4 displays properly in VLC and an mkv of the same title displays properly. I tried direct render and that displays properly in mp4 as well. Tried a different title with the same result, checked every setting I know to check?
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

That's odd... Are they TTXT (text based) subtitles?
    I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
    I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

Yes the subs are text. I've been trying to work through it and only become more confused, if I make the mp4 with other software it displays properly in DVDFab media player? I thought it was media player since the file in question displays properly in VLC but not in DVDFab media player? So now I don't know?

Text
      ID : 3
      Format : mp4s
      Codec ID : E0
      Duration : 1h 42mn
      Bit rate mode : Variable
      Bit rate : 2 305 bps
      Maximum bit rate : 4 284 Mbps
      Stream size : 1.69 MiB (0%)
      Language : English
      Encoded date : UTC 2014-08-31 14:04:25
      Tagged date : UTC 2014-08-31 14:06:52

Menu
      ID : 4
      Codec ID : text
      Duration : 1h 47mn
      Tagged date : UTC 2014-08-31 14:07:02
      Bit rate mode : VBR

Albert Einstein

Comment

I also experienced similar issue from time to time. Sometimes the subtitle would be displayed back to middle bottom after a while. The mp4 file is also ripped by dvdfab.

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
          Yes the subs are text. I've been trying to work through it and only become more confused, if I make the mp4 with other software it displays properly in DVDFab media player? I thought it was media player since the file in question displays properly in VLC but not in DVDFab media player? So now I don't know?

Text
          Format : mp4s
          Codec ID : E0
          Duration : 1h 42mn
          Bit rate : 2 305 bps
          Maximum bit rate : 4 284 Mbps
          Stream size : 1.69 MiB (0%)
          Tagged date : UTC 2014-08-31 14:06:52

Menu
          ID : 4
          Codec ID : text
          Duration : 1h 47mn
          Tagged date : UTC 2014-08-31 14:07:02
          Bit rate mode : VBR
          It would appear that the subtitle stream information has not been correctly allocated within the .mp4 container. If the subtitle streams are TTXT, their information should allocated within the 'Text' area of the .mp4 container (and nowhere else). Like this: -

Text
          Format : Timed Text
          Codec ID : tx3g
          Duration : 47s 137ms
          Bit rate : 118 bps
          Stream size : 697 Bytes (0%)
          Title : TTXT Subtitle Test File
          Encoded date : UTC 2012-06-10 10:41:09
          Tagged date : UTC 2012-06-10 10:41:09

The 'Menu' area of the .mp4 container, usually contains 'Chapter' information, like this: -

Menu
          00:00:00.000 : Chapter 01 - The Beginning
          00:00:05.640 : Chapter 02 - Four Wise Men
          00:00:09.040 : Chapter 03 - Obi-Wan and Anakin 01
          00:00:12.880 : Chapter 04 - Yoda 01
          00:00:14.440 : Chapter 05 - Obi-Wan and Anakin 02
          00:00:17.360 : Chapter 06 - Mace Windu 01
          00:00:18.400 : Chapter 07 - Anakin 01
          00:00:20.960 : Chapter 08 - Mace Windu 02
          00:00:26.640 : Chapter 09 - Anakin 02
          00:00:31.920 : Chapter 10 - Mace Windu 03
          00:00:34.600 : Chapter 11 - Yoda 02
          00:00:41.040 : Chapter 12 - Obi-Wan and Anakin 03
          Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 09-08-2014, 08:57 AM.
          I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
          I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

I think it has something to do with the automatic cropping, if I specify the frame resolution same as the original the remuxed subtitles will appear in the proper location on the display. Still an ugly color but at least not in the middle of the action.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Out of interest, what frame resolution did the automatic cropping option come up with?

Comment

The 720x480 movie was auto-cropped to 720x304.

Albert Einstein

Comment

The 720x480 movie was auto-cropped to 720x304.
                  That's a very common resolution. There's no reason that should be a problem.

I will carry out some of my own 720x304, TTXT in mp4 muxing tests and report back

Comment

Thanks for your feedback, it's a known issue, our developers are trying to fix it.

Comment

Thanks for the info geilee I'll quit fooling with it.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi,90312
                        Please donwload v2438 and have a try.

In addition, about color of the subtitles, subsequent versions will fix it. Please wait.

Comment

It did fix the mp4 location but looks like it pushed the subtitles of mkv files I had made before off the bottom of the display?

Albert Einstein

Comment

It did fix the mp4 location but looks like it pushed the subtitles of mkv files I had made before off the bottom of the display?
                            Sufficed to say, text based subtitles placed within the .mkv container will work differently to 'ttxt' subtitles placed within the .mp4 container.

I can confirm that none of my compliant 'ttxt' subtitles placed within the .mp4 container are visible using v2438.

Cheers

Comment

Hi, what type of your subtitles?

Comment

Working...
                              X