Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media Player 5.0.3.2 - Problems with "Black Hawk Down" UHD

Hi,

I don't know if this is related to my previous post regarding possible issues with branching playback, but I'm having particular problems with one disc that I thought I should ask further about.

I've been trying to watch my UHD copy of Black Hawk Down (UK release, this one). Unfortunately, this seems to have significant playback issues in DVDFab Player 5. The disc will frequently pause for a moment mid-playback while my drive (an ASUS BW-16D1HT, running the 3.10 firmware but with UHD compatability restored by a firmware change; the same problems occur if I downgrade the firmware to official 3.02) makes noises as if it is seeking (which may be related to the significant amount of branching present on this disc, with the film's two cuts contained in some 55 different stream files), but it will also sometimes just stop playback without any clear indication of why in the film. If I reload the film and navigate back to this place, it won't consistently stop in the same place.

I tried ripping the disc to my hard drive, using both Passkey's option and also some alternative software (MakeMKV). These rips give exactly the same issues with playback as playing directly off the disc.

The individual stream files seem to play back with no problems whatsoever once they're playing, though if i ask DVDFab to play them it will sometimes hang or play only the sound rather than the video as well. A look at the individual files does make me think that problem is one of changing the video file that's playing at branch points (particularly, it would appear, when moving back from a later file in the queue to an earlier one, which is a problem when watching the extended cut of the film). It could be that my drive is slow and useless, but given that it still seems to be an issue when watching the ripped version from a fast hard disk I'm very confused as to what is going on.

I'm happy to send log files/hardware info etc if a method can be provided that doesn't involve me uploading them to a publicly accessible webpage.

Since my last post I've updated my audio drivers, and I'm running the latest versions of Player 5 (and the ripped version was made using the latest version of Passkey). I actually had my UHD drive replaced (same model) as I initially thought this was the problem, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference at all.

Many thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Originally posted by RLacey View Post
    Hi,

I don't know if this is related to my previous post regarding possible issues with branching playback, but I'm having particular problems with one disc that I thought I should ask further about.

I've been trying to watch my UHD copy of Black Hawk Down (UK release, this one). Unfortunately, this seems to have significant playback issues in DVDFab Player 5. The disc will frequently pause for a moment mid-playback while my drive (an ASUS BW-16D1HT, running the 3.10 firmware but with UHD compatability restored by a firmware change; the same problems occur if I downgrade the firmware to official 3.02) makes noises as if it is seeking (which may be related to the significant amount of branching present on this disc, with the film's two cuts contained in some 55 different stream files), but it will also sometimes just stop playback without any clear indication of why in the film. If I reload the film and navigate back to this place, it won't consistently stop in the same place.

I tried ripping the disc to my hard drive, using both Passkey's option and also some alternative software (MakeMKV). These rips give exactly the same issues with playback as playing directly off the disc.

The individual stream files seem to play back with no problems whatsoever once they're playing, though if i ask DVDFab to play them it will sometimes hang or play only the sound rather than the video as well. A look at the individual files does make me think that problem is one of changing the video file that's playing at branch points (particularly, it would appear, when moving back from a later file in the queue to an earlier one, which is a problem when watching the extended cut of the film). It could be that my drive is slow and useless, but given that it still seems to be an issue when watching the ripped version from a fast hard disk I'm very confused as to what is going on.

I'm happy to send log files/hardware info etc if a method can be provided that doesn't involve me uploading them to a publicly accessible webpage.

Since my last post I've updated my audio drivers, and I'm running the latest versions of Player 5 (and the ripped version was made using the latest version of Passkey). I actually had my UHD drive replaced (same model) as I initially thought this was the problem, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference at all.

Many thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
    Hi, please go to DVDFab Player 5 > Settings > Video > Analyze Hardware, click on it and send us the analyzed result, thanks.

Also, please zip the log folder and send it as attachment via the forum post for troubleshooting, thanks. The default location for the log is: C:\Users\user name\Documents\DVDFab Player 5\Log

Comment

Here you go.

Many thanks for looking into this.
      Attached Files

Comment

I can confirm that a further replacement of my drive has made no difference to these issues.

Thanks for your ongoing improvements to Media Player!

Comment

We reproduce the problem with the branching content, and we need time to check it out. Thanks.
          As for the issue you reported here, I have passed all the available info to our developers too.

Comment

Working...
          X