Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9.0.0.1 So, what it means to you "lifetime" ???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other 9.0.0.1 So, what it means to you "lifetime" ???

Well,

the solution from you is: we joked, we sent lifetime licenses but now we want MONEY! So we changed the Passkey activation method so you, ALL of you millions of users, MUST pay for the new version 9 activation method.

Maybe a user will pay and then... next month you could release a version 10 blocking again the old users....

So my question to you is: what it means to you the word LIFETIME ?!?!?

My suggestion to other users is to installa DVDfab Passkey into a virtual machine, take a snapshot of that virtual machine, use Passkey until it expires and then revert to the snapshot and start again with your trial period...

indeed , slysoft did the same trick , so dvdfab did the same again ...

Comment

Originally posted by crapunga View Post
      indeed , slysoft did the same trick , so dvdfab did the same again ...
      What DVDFab is doing is categorically different from what SlySoft had done to its customers. SlySoft changed it brand name into RedFox, and then asked all its customers to re-buy AnyDVD, even the paid lifetime users, DVDFab is not asking and never will ask its paid users to re-purchase their products, only those who get the licenses as free gifts.
      Last edited by malcolm; 09-04-2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FromItaly View Post
        Well,

the solution from you is: we joked, we sent lifetime licenses but now we want MONEY! So we changed the Passkey activation method so you, ALL of you millions of users, MUST pay for the new version 9 activation method.

Maybe a user will pay and then... next month you could release a version 10 blocking again the old users....

So my question to you is: what it means to you the word LIFETIME ?!?!?

My suggestion to other users is to installa DVDfab Passkey into a virtual machine, take a snapshot of that virtual machine, use Passkey until it expires and then revert to the snapshot and start again with your trial period...

First of all, the shift from using key codes to online verification is not meant to block any paid user to force him/her re-purchasing his/her bought product, as the upgrade is not a mandatory one, it depends on users themselves to make the upgrade, or to stick with version 8;

Second, free upgrades have always been available to those who had actually paid money to DVDFab products — as we did from very earliest DVDFab versions, to DVDFab 5…DVDFab 7 to DVDFab 8, then from DVDFab 8 to DVDFab 9...from Media Player 1 to Media Player 2...this principle has never changed and will never change in the future. There are a lot of vendors who charge their customers whenever there is a major upgrade, such as the PowerDVD from Cyberlink, DVDFab shall never do this to its paid users;

Thirdly, DVDFab is not blocking any users, no matter how they get their licenses. Those free lifetime license holders can use their licenses on Passkey 8 forever, and DVDFab shall never remove Passkey 8 from its website to force them into upgrading to Passkey 9. However, DVDFab is not obliged to continuously offer new features to free lifetime users; after all, DVDFab is a business company, not a Non Profit Organization, even a NPO like Wikipedia needs donations to keep running.

Comment

I am a DVDFab lifetime user.

In my haste to install v9, BEFORE I learned that it had become a paid version, I uninstalled v8 trying to activate v9. THEN, came the DVDFab Staff notification.

So, I tried to reinstall v8 and stay with it, for now,

My issue is that I no longer have an activation key for v8.2.8.5

I now have both v8.2.8.5 and v9.0.0.1 on my machine, and both of them are useless. v8.2.8.5 is installed as **trial user**!

How do I activate it? (v8.2.8.5)

When I did, Copy/Paste the Key, it tells me: "The registration key you input is incorrect, try again later"
          Last edited by mdgboxx; 09-04-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Hrm...? I'm now back at square one again. Passkey is now asking for money to upgrade and RedFox is also asking me for money to upgrade. Hrm...? I'm guessing Passkey is about to lose a lot of customers unless they begin to honor the lifetime agreement. A lifetime agreement. What does that mean exactly? It's just a fancy way of saying we now have a contract agreeing to give you, the customer, with free lifetime upgrades and this company is now breaking contract. This does NOT look good for this company.

Hrm...? ...Decisions ...Decisions?

Comment

If it's not an actual lifetime license they should not call it such I understand it was a giveaway but it was for a lifetime license who's to say even if I did pay for it they won't charge me again in a few months or years this is a ripoff if they are worried about not making money they should not offer a lifetime license and offer renewals only
              Last edited by Clownsun; 09-04-2016, 05:51 PM.

Comment

If you don't want to switch to the new v9.0.0.1 you need uninstall this version and reinstall the v8.2.8.5 then double click on the key and you will have again the lifetime licence. For me this worked.

Comment

Originally posted by malcolm View Post
                  What DVDFab is doing is categorically different from what SlySoft had done to its customers. SlySoft changed it brand name into RedFox, and then asked all its customers to re-buy AnyDVD, even the paid lifetime users, DVDFab is not asking and never will ask its paid users to re-purchase their products, only those who get the licenses as free gifts.
                  Actually, what was posted on their forum was that the Slysoft owner had legal and financial troubles so he shut the company down... after that it gets muddy about the developers not being paid, owed compensation, and how that turned into Redfox, under new ownership, making AnyDVD available from other locations but requiring new licenses...

Yes, that is categorically different because in the case of Slysoft/Redfox the primary company who sold the original life time licenses went out of business, and a new company was formed. That is easier to understand what happened.

In this case, DVDFab gave away free LIFETIME Licenses for Passkey which were apparently NOT LIFETIME Licenses. i.e. What the give away advertised (and what the email I received with the license stated) was we were getting a LIFETIME license, which now apparently it is not.

That is why you are getting these posts and questions. What we were promised at the time, is not what we really got.

Had the original give away said "lifetime of Passkey Ver 8.x" or something to that effect, I'm sure we would all be very understanding. Unfortunately NOTHING indicated there were any limits on the lifetime licenses being issued. We feel we were deceived.

I for one find myself questioning... could this ever happen to PAID FOR lifetime licenses at some point? (i.e. be told our purchased lifetime licenses for your other products are no longer valid and we need to buy new ones?) And how do I know for sure it wont? I mean, I was told I got a lifetime license for Passkey that apparently wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by jump View Post
                    If you don't want to switch to the new v9.0.0.1 you need uninstall this version and reinstall the v8.2.8.5 then double click on the key and you will have again the lifetime licence. For me this worked.
                    sure but soon it won't decrypt actual disks and you ll need to install v9 since support for 8 will die

Comment

DVDFab is not asking and never will ask its paid users to re-purchase their products ->so v8 and v9 are different product ?

v8 will be support until when , idoubt support will be lifetime this time :-)
                      Last edited by crapunga; 09-04-2016, 08:56 PM.

Comment

First of all, the shift from using key codes to online verification is not meant to block any paid user to force him/her re-purchasing his/her bought product, as the upgrade is not a mandatory one, it depends on users themselves to make the upgrade, or to stick with version 8;

Second, free upgrades have always been available to those who had actually paid money to DVDFab products — as we did from very earliest DVDFab versions, to DVDFab 5…DVDFab 7 to DVDFab 8, then from DVDFab 8 to DVDFab 9...from Media Player 1 to Media Player 2...this principle has never changed and will never change in the future. There are a lot of vendors who charge their customers whenever there is a major upgrade, such as the PowerDVD from Cyberlink, DVDFab shall never do this to its paid users;

Thirdly, DVDFab is not blocking any users, no matter how they get their licenses. Those free lifetime license holders can use their licenses on Passkey 8 forever, and DVDFab shall never remove Passkey 8 from its website to force them into upgrading to Passkey 9. However, DVDFab is not obliged to continuously offer new features to free lifetime users; after all, DVDFab is a business company, not a Non Profit Organization, even a NPO like Wikipedia needs donations to keep running.
                        This clears everything up.
                        Thanks for the info.

I'll stick with 8 in the meantime.

Comment

because of this, when the give away said "FREE LIFETIME LICENSE for Passkey", without mentioning any restrictions or limits, it certainly came across as if it was the same as a lifetime license that was paid for. i.e. usable just like a purchased lifetime license, with the same entitlements. There was no mention that it was for only Passkey 8, or any other restrictions.

...However, DVDFab is not obliged to continuously offer new features to free lifetime users; after all, DVDFab is a business company, not a Non Profit Organization, even a NPO like Wikipedia needs donations to keep running.
                          sure, every business that isn't Non-Profit wants to make money. So maybe DVDFab shouldn't have given away LIFETIME LICENSES to begin with.

Or, as I said earlier... maybe DVDFab should have made it CLEAR AT THE TIME when the free Lifetime licenses for Passkey were given away, that it was for a specific version only, or had limits, rather than waiting until NOW (over a year later in some cases) to make that known. That is what bothers me the most. Its not the money/cost. Its the principle. I feel like I was lied to, or deceived. While you say you don't, and never will, charge paid license holders for new features... how do I know that will hold? How do I trust you? I mean I was told I was getting a free LIFETIME license for passkey, but apparently I didn't.

Sorry, but if I was told back then, it was a limited license, a 1yr license, only for that version, or such, and then today told I need to purchase a new license, I'd be much more understanding and less bothered than I am or not bothered at all. And I hope you can understand that.

I hope that you step back, take a look, and reconsider the situation, or at least realize and admit how this comes across from a customer stand point.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by crapunga View Post
                            sure but soon it won't decrypt actual disks and you ll need to install v9 since support for 8 will die

Passkey 8 will not die, instead, it will always be available for download from DVDFab's website, and it will continue to decrypt your large DVD and Blu-ray collections, which means you can use 8 as long as you wish. However, if you buy new DVDs and Blu-rays in the future that are proved to have new protection schemes, then you will have to use version 9.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
                              Actually, what was posted on their forum was that the Slysoft owner had legal and financial troubles so he shut the company down... after that it gets muddy about the developers not being paid, owed compensation, and how that turned into Redfox, under new ownership, making AnyDVD available from other locations but requiring new licenses...

Yes, that is categorically different because in the case of Slysoft/Redfox the primary company who sold the original life time licenses went out of business, and a new company was formed. That is easier to understand what happened.

In this case, DVDFab gave away free LIFETIME Licenses for Passkey which were apparently NOT LIFETIME Licenses. i.e. What the give away advertised (and what the email I received with the license stated) was we were getting a LIFETIME license, which now apparently it is not.

That is why you are getting these posts and questions. What we were promised at the time, is not what we really got.

Had the original give away said "lifetime of Passkey Ver 8.x" or something to that effect, I'm sure we would all be very understanding. Unfortunately NOTHING indicated there were any limits on the lifetime licenses being issued. We feel we were deceived.

I for one find myself questioning... could this ever happen to PAID FOR lifetime licenses at some point? (i.e. be told our purchased lifetime licenses for your other products are no longer valid and we need to buy new ones?) And how do I know for sure it wont? I mean, I was told I got a lifetime license for Passkey that apparently wasn't.

So you actually belive everything SlySoft/RedFox told you, don't you? In 2014 (at that time, SlySoft was still safe and sound) when DVDFab was shut down by AACS LA, DVDFab could have rebranded itself and changed its products with another logo, and then asked all the customers to repay them for using the revamped products.

However, the fact was that DVDFab didn't do it that way. It relaunched its websites as soon as she was capable of, with exactly the same DVDFab brand, the same products, and it did not ask their customers to rebuy their licenses, because everyone inside the team believes it is the morally right thing to do, to be responsible for the paid customers.

Comment

Working...
                              X