MKV to AVI Convertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MKV to AVI Convertion

I am having trouble converting an MKV movie file to an AVI. Either I get an error 504.00 0 when using DVDfab 8.0.5.6 or I only get audio with no video whi using DVDfab 8.0.9.2. Hardware is an Intel i7 Windows 7 home Premium 64bit. I have tried all of the AVI options (ie "generic.avi.divx.mp3" and so on).

Any ideas?

Please provide more information:
    (a) your A/V settings
    (b) post logs here, and
    (c) how your MKV is coded (it would be awesome if you can post here MediaInfo report for your MKV)
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

A) A?V Codec?: H.264=DXVA, VC1=DXVA, MPEG2=Software.

B) Log:

It is too long (110,603 characters)

Is there perticular part of the log or am I looking at the wrong log?

C) I don't know how to obtain that information.

Thanks for you help.

Comment

Actually, MrdiaInfo on source and encoded files would be even more awesome!!

Also, have you tried to play it with VLC, not just Media Player? I suspect the video codec.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

@winks337
          (a) please set all a/v settings, encoder and decoder for software and give it a try. Please let us know how it goes.
          (b) you can open log with notepad and remove (delete) everything, but related to troubled process, and post here only relevant part.
          (c) MediaInfo is a freeware, little utility I would suggest you to have (google it, download and install). It can help you in a future as well.

@GregiBoy
          It seems OP didn't even get to the "play" part of the process. OP can't even make conversion to work with 8.0.5.6. There's something wrong beyond codec(s) of the player, but DXVA.
          Last edited by IPopov50; 05-23-2011, 01:55 AM.
          sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

@IPopov??? Agree that is most probably caused by that DXVA POS!!!

I only get audio with no video whi using DVDfab 8.0.9.2
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

@GregiBoy
              Yep!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Hi,

I changed the video setting s to software and it worked. I took about 1:45 min to convert a 9GB mkv file to avi (ended up 4.2GB). The problem is, when I try to play it, it lock up windows media player. I can't play the avi file.

Here is the DVDfab log:

177m 31.82s:

------ begin mobile work(1/1) ------

177m 31.82s: create config(3)
                177m 31.82s: convert profile(generic.avi.divx.mp3)
                177m 31.95s: 177m 31.95s: info: set output video frame_rate(24000/1001)
                177m 31.95s: info: using software decoder(h264 multi-thread)
                277m 06.91s: audio_encode finish job
                278m 37.12s:

------ finish mobile work ------

Here is the log from media player:

Problem signature:
                Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
                Application Name: wmplayer.exe
                Application Version: 12.0.7600.16667
                Application Timestamp: 4c7dc5a1
                Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
                Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16695
                Fault Module Timestamp: 4cc7ab86
                Exception Code: c0000005
                Exception Offset: 00033b30
                OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
                Locale ID: 4105
                Additional Information 1: 0a9e
                Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
                Additional Information 3: 0a9e
                Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
                C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Thanks,

Comment

Still not working but getting closer!

Hi,

I did as you said and switched everything to Software. It did work and created an avi file but when I try and play it with windows media player, the medial player crashes. It is a 4.2 gb file and it took 1:40 to convert so it must be a movie. Any ideas?

Comment

If it is >4Gb as an AVI, this is well outside the specs and I would expect it to crash.

If you are going to use files this large, I suggest that you use the MKV container or bring down the bitrate & resolution of your encode.

Originally posted by winks337 View Post
                    Hi,

I did as you said and switched everything to Software. It did work and created an avi file but when I try and play it with windows media player, the medial player crashes. It is a 4.2 gb file and it took 1:40 to convert so it must be a movie. Any ideas?

Comment

Were you using avi 2g- preset?

It is a 4.2 gb file and it took 1:40 to convert so it must be a movie. Any ideas?
                      sigpic

Comment

Still doesn't matter IP.

He shouldn't be using an AVI container for a file that big. Fraught with problems.

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                        Were you using avi 2g- preset?

Comment

OK. Thanks for your help. I hadn't realized that avi file size was a problem. I guess I will have to figure out how to make them smaller. What is the largest reliable avi file size?

Comment

Keep them under 2Gb to be safe....Some players will just not play them larger than that.

Comment

You really should look at another container than AVI also. MKV is now the container of choice for most of us.

Depends on what equipment you are going to use for playback though.

OK. Thanks for your help. I hadn't realized that avi file size was a problem. I guess I will have to figure out how to make them smaller. What is the largest reliable avi file size?

Comment

Working...
                              X