DVDFab Forum - Question mostly about hardware acceleration support

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question mostly about hardware acceleration support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question mostly about hardware acceleration support

    Hi all,

    Long post, apologies in advance.

    I logged a question with technical support but now I have a better understanding of my situation.
    I thought I'd post here rather than continue with support because the response I got didn't answer my questions and looked like the representative knew even less about what I asked than I did before I found out more on my own.

    Don't get me wrong, I know support is difficult, especially when people like me ask stupid questions.
    Anyway, hopefully there will be some who can educate me here on the forum.

    I have a NUC8i7HNK which has an internal Intel HD Graphics 630 and an AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL and a NUC6CAYH with Intel HD Graphics.

    The first questions are regarding the AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL.

    Initially I thought Radeon hardware acceleration wasn't supported in DVDfab for this graphics card.
    I now know that Radeon hardware acceleration is available for H.264 and H.265 Main profile but what's not available is H.265 Main10 profile support (for me essentially HDR10).

    So the question is what is the current state of Radeon Vega graphics video acceleration kits from AMD?
    Are we likely to see H.265 Main10 support from them in the future and, if so, will DVDfab be updated to include it?

    The above is the most important question for me, basically will DVDfab Video Converter get Radeon HDR10 capabilities and if so is there any (rough) idea when?

    The next question related to the integrated Intel HD Graphics 630.

    None of the six monitor ports on the NUC are physically connected to the Intel graphics hardware so DVDfab refuses to use it.
    This seems to be a mindless restriction as several other media conversion products can use without trouble (actually every other product I have seen when looking around).
    It's even more disappointing because it appears the Intel hardware accelerated transcoding produces better quality output than the Radeon.

    Is there any way (software virtual driver perhaps) to work around this restriction?
    Will or can this restriction be removed at some point?

    Now for the NUC6CAYH.

    DVDfab can use the Intel HD Graphics for hardware accelerated transcoding with the restriction that it only allows H.265 Main profile decoding and not encoding (and no Main10 at all which is expected). But the hardware is capable of H.265 Main profile encoding as the most recent (read very recent) QSVEnc utility can do it.

    So the question is, is there an update to the Intel development kit DVDfab needs to update to for this and if so when (roughly) will this happen?

    Finally I noticed a small problem with graphic subtitle handling.

    If you are re-sizing, say, a 1080p video with PGS subtitles to 720p that is also cropped to 4:3 (because it is actually 4:3) then the subtitles aren't properly adjusted.
    In this case it appears that the subtitles are adjusted for the 720p resize but the side cropping isn't accounted for leading to the subtitle position being pushed to the right of center.

    Now I have to say that incorrect handling of subtitles isn't uncommon but since DVDfab at least appears to be aware of this I thought I'd mention it.

    If anyone can offer help or information with these questions I would very much appreciate it.
    Ian

  • #2
    hi raven-au,
    This is from our dev guy.
    1. AMD not support HEVC main10 encode. It use sdk in driver. AMD do not give info. But at least one year has passed since someone ask about it.
    2. Maybe intel qsv not need monitor on win10. Our dev need check GPU will run in hardware mode or fake hyper mode. If not need we will change ASAP.
    3. need fabcheck log for your cpu/gpu information.
    Thanks for your feedback.

    Wilson
    Please post your logs the default location is:
    For DVDFab9_Win7 & Win8 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab9\Log
    For DVDFab10_Win7 & Win8 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab10\Log
    For Mac: /User/User name/Documents/DVDFab10/Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

    Thanks!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post
      hi raven-au,
      This is from our dev guy.
      1. AMD not support HEVC main10 encode. It use sdk in driver. AMD do not give info. But at least one year has passed since someone ask about it.
      2. Maybe intel qsv not need monitor on win10. Our dev need check GPU will run in hardware mode or fake hyper mode. If not need we will change ASAP.
      3. need fabcheck log for your cpu/gpu information.
      Thanks for your feedback.

      Wilson
      Thanks for the information.

      I'm a bit disappointed (although not surprised) that AMD are slow to take on H.265 Main 10 support.
      Please ask the dev team to keep an eye out for change on that.

      I'll have a look around to work out how to get a fabcheck I'm new to DVDfab, .

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by raven-au View Post

        Thanks for the information.

        I'm a bit disappointed (although not surprised) that AMD are slow to take on H.265 Main 10 support.
        Please ask the dev team to keep an eye out for change on that.

        I'll have a look around to work out how to get a fabcheck I'm new to DVDfab, .
        Is the fabcheck the log named fabcheck_internal in the DVDfab log directory?
        Is there anything specific you would like me to do so that the information you need is present?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by raven-au View Post

          Is the fabcheck the log named fabcheck_internal in the DVDfab log directory?
          Is there anything specific you would like me to do so that the information you need is present?
          yes, it is fabcheck_internal.log in log folder.
          no, Operating System info / gpu info/ cpu info all in fabcheck_internal.log.

          Thanks.
          Please post your logs the default location is:
          For DVDFab9_Win7 & Win8 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab9\Log
          For DVDFab10_Win7 & Win8 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab10\Log
          For Mac: /User/User name/Documents/DVDFab10/Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
          If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

          Thanks!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post
            yes, it is fabcheck_internal.log in log folder.
            no, Operating System info / gpu info/ cpu info all in fabcheck_internal.log.
            Thanks, here is my fabcheck log.
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by raven-au View Post

              Thanks, here is my fabcheck log.
              hi,
              Please check you forum Messages.
              Your shoud find new fabcheck. It should fix win10 monitor problem.
              And your NUC6CAYH is i7-8705G ? or another PC.
              What about https://ark.intel.com/products/95062...C-Kit-NUC6CAYH ?
              Our dev need fabcheck log to check problem 3.


              Wilson
              Please post your logs the default location is:
              For DVDFab9_Win7 & Win8 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab9\Log
              For DVDFab10_Win7 & Win8 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab10\Log
              For Mac: /User/User name/Documents/DVDFab10/Log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
              If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

              Thanks!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post
                hi,
                Please check you forum Messages.
                Your shoud find new fabcheck. It should fix win10 monitor problem.
                And your NUC6CAYH is i7-8705G ? or another PC.
                What about https://ark.intel.com/products/95062...C-Kit-NUC6CAYH ?
                Our dev need fabcheck log to check problem 3.
                Yes, it's another device.
                Let's not worry about the NUC6CAYH for the time being, perhaps later.
                Even if hardware assisted H.265 Main profile transcoding was available I'm not sure it will have enough resources to be useful.

                The NIC8i7HNK is my new, more capable, device, it does have the capabilities to do what I need, so lets just focus on that.

                I saw some email notification of private messages but when I went to look they seemed truncated.
                I couldn't get any useful information from them, sorry.

                Ian

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by raven-au View Post
                  The next question related to the integrated Intel HD Graphics 630.

                  None of the six monitor ports on the NUC are physically connected to the Intel graphics hardware so DVDfab refuses to use it.
                  This seems to be a mindless restriction as several other media conversion products can use without trouble (actually every other product I have seen when looking around).
                  It's even more disappointing because it appears the Intel hardware accelerated transcoding produces better quality output than the Radeon.

                  Is there any way (software virtual driver perhaps) to work around this restriction?
                  Will or can this restriction be removed at some point?
                  Similar situation, but different PC. My Desktop PC has I8700K and Z370 motherboard chipset, so I have Intel® UHD Graphics 630 "Built in".... BUT I also have an EVGA Nvidia GTX970 video card in a slot. The Nvidia card doesn't do H.265 encode, but the Intel GPU does. In the motherboard bios I set the Nvidia as the primary video card, and have no monitor connected to the motherboard's HDMI port that goes with the Intel GPU. In this configuration, DVDFab will not use the Intel GPU for anything.

                  To get DVDFab to use the Intel GPU I have a HDMI "Dummy plug" connected to the HDMI port on the motherboard for the Intel GPU... . https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 With this device connected, Windows activates/lists both graphics cards, and thinks I have two monitors. Since I only have one, I have to tell windows to MIRROR my displays (by default it tries to extend them). BUT DVDFab can now use the Intel card's hardware acceleration.

                  I had similar with my i6700K CPU/Z170 mother board chipset PC using an NVidia card in a slot but trying to use the Intel GPU for hardware acceleration.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KidJoe View Post
                    Similar situation, but different PC. My Desktop PC has I8700K and Z370 motherboard chipset, so I have Intel® UHD Graphics 630 "Built in".... BUT I also have an EVGA Nvidia GTX970 video card in a slot. The Nvidia card doesn't do H.265 encode, but the Intel GPU does. In the motherboard bios I set the Nvidia as the primary video card, and have no monitor connected to the motherboard's HDMI port that goes with the Intel GPU. In this configuration, DVDFab will not use the Intel GPU for anything.
                    Yes, I think DVDfab having this functionality will be useful to a lot of people, particularly since many Intel CPUs do have on board graphics these days.

                    Of course there may be cases I'm unaware of where a monitor needs to be active for the functionality to work but, as I can see, there are definitely cases where a monitor can't be connected by design and the Intel graphics are only useful for GPU acceleration duties (and the Intel spec for the NUC I have alludes to this).

                    To get DVDFab to use the Intel GPU I have a HDMI "Dummy plug" connected to the HDMI port on the motherboard for the Intel GPU... . https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 With this device connected, Windows activates/lists both graphics cards, and thinks I have two monitors. Since I only have one, I have to tell windows to MIRROR my displays (by default it tries to extend them). BUT DVDFab can now use the Intel card's hardware acceleration.
                    I saw comments of this sort when I was investigating my problem, sadly the Intel spec clearly states there are no physical external monitor connections, *sigh*, on the NUC I have.
                    Though it shouldn't be necessary to purchase hardware to make this work, and even if you could plug the HDMI output into a second HDMI monitor port you have the annoyance of the monitor frequently auto switching to something not actually used, quite confusing.

                    Ian

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by raven-au View Post
                      I saw some email notification of private messages but when I went to look they seemed truncated.
                      I couldn't get any useful information from them, sorry.
                      Oh … I get it now, the private message that is.

                      I found the new fabcheck.exe and I am now able to use Intel QSV on my NUC8i7HNK.
                      Thanks very much for your help.

                      I'll re-word my NUC6CAYH question to ensure that what I'm asking is clear in a day or so, busy at the moment.
                      As I say it isn't a priority particularly now with the new fabcheck, thanks again.

                      Ian

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X