Video conversion fails without error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video conversion fails without error

I'm not sure whether this issue has come up before - if so, please direct me to the discussion thread and I apologize for taking up forum resources.

If I should load a video file (mkv) and attempt to convert it to something else (Samsung/mp4), the file loads without a problem, and clicking the Start button appears to start the conversion (the initiation dialogue goes through without an observable hitch) but the conversion stops after a few seconds and the Finish dialogue comes up. No error is generated on screen, an output file is produced but it is of 0 bytes length.

Would someone please help me diagnose what the problem is here? I've had a look at the log files that are time-stamped with the conversion time, but find it difficult to interpret them.

Note: If I try to rip a Blu-ray or DVD I get exactly the same result - no error generated, finish almost immediately with empty file.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul.

Originally posted by cplloyd42 View Post
    I'm not sure whether this issue has come up before - if so, please direct me to the discussion thread and I apologize for taking up forum resources.

If I should load a video file (mkv) and attempt to convert it to something else (Samsung/mp4), the file loads without a problem, and clicking the Start button appears to start the conversion (the initiation dialogue goes through without an observable hitch) but the conversion stops after a few seconds and the Finish dialogue comes up. No error is generated on screen, an output file is produced but it is of 0 bytes length.

Would someone please help me diagnose what the problem is here? I've had a look at the log files that are time-stamped with the conversion time, but find it difficult to interpret them.

Note: If I try to rip a Blu-ray or DVD I get exactly the same result - no error generated, finish almost immediately with empty file.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul.
    Hi Paul, please post the latest dvdfab_internal.log file and fabcheck_internal.log file to help check the problem.
    Also, specify the video source or the DVD or Blu-ray that you have this problem, so that we can easily locate them in the log file, thank you in advance.

Comment

Hi, Mona. Thanks for getting back to me on this. I have just updated to 11.0.1.1 and tried it out on the file "Divergent-2014-1080p.mkv" with the same results.
      As I'm a newbie, would you please advise me as to how I post these files?
      Paul.

Comment

Hi, Mona. Thanks for getting back to me on this. I have just updated to 11.0.1.1 and tried it out on the file "Divergent-2014-1080p.mkv" with the same results.
        As I'm a newbie, would you please advise me as to how I post these files?
        Paul.
        Please refer to this post for info about how to find log file and post it here:

Comment

Thanks, Mina. Here are the relevant files. Just repeating, the file I was trying to convert last was: "Divergent-2014-1808p.mkv".

If you need me to try another file, please let me know.

Paul.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Mina. Here are the relevant files. Just repeating, the file I was trying to convert last was: "Divergent-2014-1808p.mkv".

If you need me to try another file, please let me know.

Paul.
            first try checking for a driver update for your graphics card. restart dvdfab
            and retry converting you files again. or try clicking common settings - av codec - check "disable all GPU codecs for decoding and encoding" - everything should
            switch to software. restart dvdfab and retry converting again.

Comment

Thanks again, Mona. My Dell PC comes with a tool that runs weekly and updates all drivers as part of its routine. So, I tried your 2nd option and this seems to be working - at least it's got to 3% without a hiccup. The encoding fps is quite low - a 2hr video is going to take >3 hrs to convert - so I guess checking the "disable" option disables graphics acceleration. I wonder if there is a combination of settings that would work with "disable" unchecked. I'll look into that once this conversion has finished. Paul.

Comment

Well, something interesting has happened. Firstly, my attempt failed, along with 2 other concurrent activities (an Internet download, and a DRM removal of an audiobook). I decided to restart my PC, then v11.0.1.2 was available so I installed it. My next try was successful. I then retried it with "disable" checked off (and DVDFab restarted) and it was SUCCESSFUL!! I'm scratching my head over this. However, the conversion rate is still quite slow (~25 Fps) and is consistent for the next 4 conversions I've tried (and GPU codecs enabled).

Thanks, Mona, for your help. Paul.

Comment

Working...
                X