The Case Against "Best Quality Available" & "1920x1080 If available"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Case Against "Best Quality Available" & "1920x1080 If available"

After seeing the release notes for 6.1.2.9, i realized that they are doubling down on this very flawed approach.

This was my reaction:

Aside from the fact that not everyone wants the highest bitrate possible, the biggest point against this is because sometimes, StreamFab thinks a certain option is the best available when it actually isn't. So they are implementing something that simply doesn't work properly. Why do that when letting us analyze individual episodes solves a ton of issues!!!???

Case in point:

I queued up The Witcher Season 3 and Muscles & Mayhem: An Unauthorized Story of American Gladiators Season 1.

I forced StreamFab to analyze season 3 and selected the following for The Witcher:

This is what i selected for Muscles & Mayhem:

After everything downloaded, the report said this:

Which resulted in these files:

Notice how The Witcher S03E05 has Atmos 5.1 Audio

So StreamFab is telling me that The Witcher S03E05 has no H265 HDR and no H265 SDR but it downloaded it in H264 with Atmos 5.1.

It's also saying Muscles & Mayhem S01E02 is only H264 and S01E03 only has AAC 2.0 Audio.

My next step was to, you'll never believe this, force analyze each problematic episode! I know right? Shocking! Why would I try to do this? Could this be the solution to many of the StreamFab problems? Let's find out, boy and girls!

Here are the files i got after that:

Well what do you know... It's a beautiful day in the neighbourhood boys and girls... Would you be mine?

Turns out S03E05 of The Witcher was available in H265 HDR. So was S01E02 of Muscles & Mayhem. Also, S01E03 did have Atmos 5.1.

But check this out... Now The Witcher S03E05's audio is AAC 5.1!!!

Like wtf? It just downloaded Atmos 5 minutes prior!

So in the case against "Best Quality Available" & "1920x1080 If available", the prosecution rests.

How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

While the jury deliberates, the prosecution would like to propose sentencing:

DO NOT DOWNLOAD/SPEND DOWNLOAD CREDITS FOR STUFF THAT DOESN'T MATCH MY SETTINGS!

If select Atmos 5.1 and you see you can only get AAC 5.1, ask me if it is ok to download anyway. If i am AFK and don't respond, do not download it.

Show me what wasn't downloaded and why and i can click that link in the report to analyze that specific episode and try again.

Of course, a setting for what to do by default (do not download, download, ask each time) is fine as long as it actually works (unlike the 1st attempt at implementing this).

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-30 5.42.37 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	134.2 KB ID:	427290

顾客永远是对的
      Last edited by Cats4U; 06-30-2023, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
        Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-30 5.42.37 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	134.2 KB ID:	427290
        Lol i actually think this is a complete fallacy but in this instance, it may be true. I don't understand why they keep trying to go a certain route, fail, try again, fail, and then say "Welp, it doesn't work properly but let's add it to Netflix now"

Competitor doesn't allow you to queue a whole show. Only 1 season at a time or even 1 episode at a time. They have ZERO posts about a season not downloading at 1080p and ZERO posts about forced subtitles not downloading. Even if they had some for the forced subs, the answer is download the episode individually and you can select the forced subs.

Comment

can anyone tell me when to DRM MPD and m3u8. does it work? it's been almost 15 days since reporting it's no longer active

Comment

I think they got a High School or Relative to do TEC stuff.

They are Tooo cheap to hire an Actual TEC Person

They have TOOO Many programs with TOOOO Many Problems !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post
              Competitor doesn't allow you to queue a whole show. Only 1 season at a time or even 1 episode at a time. They have ZERO posts about a season not downloading at 1080p and ZERO posts about forced subtitles not downloading. Even if they had some for the forced subs, the answer is download the episode individually and you can select the forced subs.
              They have ZERO posts about it because they are afraid to be smacked down by Angry Fox and his cohorts. ​​​​

Comment

They have ZERO posts about it because they are afraid to be smacked down by Angry Fox and his cohorts. ​​​​
                Ain't that the truth!

So, where is this setting to disable what you are saying is not working? I forget. Is it in the dialog itself?

And of course it has been mentioned ten thousand times --- can we get a possibility of analyzing the actual episode? Even the youtube module has an "ask me every time" option for quality.
                Last edited by MrGrackle; 07-03-2023, 03:17 AM.

Comment

What do you mean? I find the people there very welcoming, nice, and understanding. They never tell you that you are stupid for wanting a feature and they also take constructive criticism very well: Like you just tried to murder their grandma.

Comment

Mona, Wilson.Wang

Please let the developers know that, once gain, the Best Available Quality is completely hosed. It doesn't know what is better.

Here's a novel idea: Give us a way of analyzing individual episodes/seasons and we will decide what is best for our needs... Nobody needs "A.I." for things driven by preferences.

Problem #1:

StreamFab scanned Season 1, Episode 1 of Riverdale and showed me only AAC Audio and automatically selected the 2.0 audio:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	533
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	427393

Problem #2:

I selected AAC 5.1 192 kbps audio and StreamFab decided to download EAC3 2.0 128 kbps audio. Even though the Netflix settings were set to AAC audio​. In what world does less channels and lower bitrate better exactly?

Problem #3:

After realizing that StreamFab defaults to AAC when upgrading to 6.1.2.9, i changed it to Atmos. It should fallback to Multichannel EAC3 if there is no Atmos. It does but it still select 2.0 audio when settings are to select 5.1.

So, again, can the developer(s) let us know:
                    • Why are they not making all download windows the same as the new Amazon one?
                    • Why do they refuse to give us a way of analyzing individual episodes/seasons?
                    Can you at least acknowledge that you have passed on the feedback?

Thank you.

Comment

It is all to confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwingken View Post
                        It is all to confusing.
                        Yep. Confusion that could be alleviated by simply letting us analyze individual episodes...

But they won't even grace us with a response so i will continue to use my browser to copy episode links and from now on, i will just recommend the competitor to people who ask.

Comment

Notice how The Witcher S03E05 has Atmos 5.1 Audio
                          Hi,

We confirmed that S03E05 can be downloaded the Atmos audio.

And please post the log file, thanks!

Wilson

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230705-103009.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	427477
                          Please post your logs the default location is:
                          For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                          For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                          If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Wilson, I think there is a misunderstanding. The OP's work flow shows us that Streamfab does not select the best options, and that if it analyzed each single episode it would resolve a lot of issues.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wilson.Wang;n427476]

And please post the log file, thanks!

Wilson

Very interesting, I would have thought you would have told him to use the "Feedback" that is in the setting. I was under the impression that when you used the feedback, it sent the logs along with your comments.

I also wanted to say that the Documents Folder is not the place you want to have as the default place for log files.
                              You are probably wondering why. it is because Microsoft has a program called OneDrive that sends everything in that folder to the cloud.
                              Last edited by lost_cow; 07-05-2023, 07:41 AM. Reason: Edited To remove unnecessary picture and some of the quote text. Also to talk about OneDrive.

Comment

Working...
                              X