Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unifab 2.0.0.6 (and earlier) Issues with Conversion Profiles

Following on from my comment here:
    I just installed DVDFab 13 and found that the video converter module, which is mostly what I use from DVDFab has been replaced by UniFab. While I'm happy that my DVDFab lifetime license covers UniFab, I have quickly discovered some shortcomings with UniFab that will keep me using the video converter module from DVDFab until

I wanted to provide details on what I'm talking about.

I have a season of a show. The files sizes of the episodes are large (approx 3.5 - 4GB per episode). I have a profile that can reduce the file size of each episode to between 500-700MB each and still keep them at a great viewing quality for us.

So I load the Episodes into Unifab. It's default shows them at about 1.85GB afte conversion before selecting my profile​

I choose my profile and be sure to choose "Apply to all"

My profile settings for reference:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-18 075933.png
Views:	318
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	434341

After setting profile, Unifab shows file size after conversion for each episode as approx 560MB each

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-18 075512.png
Views:	184
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	434342

I start conversion.
    And this is what the resulting files are coming out as:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-18 080534.png
Views:	169
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	434343

It's just completely ignoring what I set, essentially.

I turn around and load up DVDFab12, and load in the exact same files and load my profile for each one:

​​Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-18 081215.png
Views:	173
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	434344

Note the same settings. H265, 2 pass 1394 Bit Rate. Output size is expected to be 100MB smaller than Unifab would have done. Even better.

Viewing the list of files to convert, it verifies the info:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-18 081229.png
Views:	172
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	434345

I start converting. And the resultant files are exactly as expected:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-18 082001.png
Views:	172
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	434346

Same files. Same settings.

Unifab has something fundamentally wrong somewhere, and this simply should never have been released in this state. I am a senior QA Test Engineer for an extremely large company, and if we had ever passed this, with all of the flaws this software has, and released it people would have lost their jobs.​​

I would like to confirm if the converted files from UniFab have the same parameters as your Profile. Could you please provide a screenshot of the mediainfo?

Comment

I already deleted the source files after doing my conversions in DVDFab.

Next time I have some to do, I'll load up Unifab for a test, but I don't plan on using it again otherwise.

Comment

...very well revealed. I have the same problems with UniFab Vers. 2.0.0.6 and I've been bothered by it for a while. The default output size never fits the output file. Sure, there are always deviations, but not up to 5GB. That's annoying. This works much better with DVDFab12. I have already mentioned here in the forum that I still prefer to work with DVDFab12. The conversion time is also a lot faster with DVDFab12. Nevertheless, I think that UniFab has a future and I really enjoy working with it and have a lifelong license. But everything has to work very well. If I set the output file size to 10GB, the result should be an approximately 10GB file and not a 6.5 GB file. The conversion here wasted 3.5 GB at the expense of image quality. With DVDFab12 it comes out to around 9.8 GB. Much better; significantly better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_3 View Post
          I would like to confirm if the converted files from UniFab have the same parameters as your Profile. Could you please provide a screenshot of the mediainfo?
          I went ahead and tried with a new series today, and the same thing happened.
          Krypton - S01E01, original file 3.27GB file size:

Name:	image.png
Views:	112
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	435135

I used Unifab first, after updating to 2.0.0.8. Before changing to my profile, it was showing about 1.2GB file size. I selected my profile, size dropped to about 560MB. I ran the conversion.
          Resulting file size was 1.2GB.

Views:	89
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	435136

I then did the same conversion in DVDFab12, with my same profile, same setting. Again, file size was expected at 580MB. Resulting file size: 586MB

Views:	87
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	435137

Comment

Working...
          X