This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio/Video quality so far...

We've had posts discussing Audio and Video quality of the downloads... I just wanted to give my feedback on what I'm seeing from each service I've tried. (NOTE: I do not have U-NEXT).

I have not yet updated to 3.0.1.6, so this is based on 3.0.1.5...

Downloading from Amazon gives me the best results for speed, and A/V specs. Netflix is a very close second place.

All downloads from Amazon and Netflix so far have looked and sounded the same as if I was streaming these movies in 1080p, from their original service, via my Fire TV 4k Stick or Roku Ultra. While all downloads from Disney+, HBOmax, or CBS All Access have looked similar to viewing them as 1080p using my FireTV 4k Stick or Roku Ultra, the audio in the download is of course only 2 channel, which is somewhat noticeable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is, that the 2 channel audio for Disney+, HBOmax and CBS is a limit of these services when viewing via web browser (how DVDFab downloads). If that is correct, it will be interesting to watch and see if DVDFab can come up with a workaround or not.

Having subscribed to CBS All Access via Amazon Channels, I can say that downloading CBS content via Amazon gives me better quality than downloading the same from CBS directly (although I do have to SEARCH for CBS content in Amazon, compared to using CBS directly). Downloading the CBS content via Amazon Channels DOES give me 5.1 audio and the higher video bitrates. I'm curious to hear from others who subscribe to pay services such as HBOMax, Showtime, etc. via Amazon. Because if they experience the same, it might be a work around to get 5.1 audio and higher video bit rates. Unfortunately, my pay services like HBOMax, Showtime, etc. are provided via my cable subscription at no cost, so it would cost me extra to subscribe via Amazon.

After doing a random sampling of Movies and TV shows I've downloaded from these services, here are the HIGH LEVEL BASIC stats for each...

Netflix
    • Highspeed = 2x playback
    • Batch = Yes
    • Audio = 192kb/s, 48kHz, AAC LC - 6 Channel or 2 Channel depends on Movie/Show
    • Video = 1080p
    • Video Bitrate = Some constant bit rate, some variable bit rate. Ranges of 4000kb/s up to 9000kb/s, it depends on the Movie/Show

Disney+
    • Batch = Yes
    • Audio = 125kb/s, 48kHz, AAC LC - 2 Channel for Movies and TV
    • Video = 1080p
    • Video Bitrate = Variable Bit Rate around 5500 kb/s. Appears to be consistent across all downloads.

HBOmax (before it stopped working for me)
    NOTE: DVDFab team says they know about the issues and are working on a "new way to download from HBO", but no ETA yet
    • Batch = Yes
    • Video = 1080p
    • Video Bitrate = Variable Bit Rate around 5500 kb/s. Appears to be consistent across all downloads.

Amazon
    • High Speed = Download without playback, up to 32MB/s download speeds reached on my 1gb cable modem... So movies download as fast as 15-30 minutes depending on network traffic. Similar to iTunes movie downloads.
    • Batch = Yes
    • Audio = (depends on Movie/TV show) 6 channel 640kb/s, 48kHz, EAC3 Dolby Digital Plus, OR 2 channel 224kb/s, 48kHz, EAC3 Dolby Digital Plus
    • Video = 1080p
    • Video Bitrate = Some constant bit rate, some variable bit rate. Ranges from 4000kb/s up to 13Mb/s, it depends on the Movie/Show

CBS All Access
    • Batch = Yes
    • Video = 1080p
    • Video Bitrate = Variable Bit Rate around 5500 kb/s Appears to be consistent across all downloads.

Last edited by KidJoe; 02-20-2021, 06:23 PM.

Great feedback Joe, thanks. That pretty much coincides with what I have found. Keep an eye on CBS, it becomes Paramount+ on 4 March and things may change.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Anyone else have audio out of sync issues with downloads from CBS?? I've posted about this but seen nobody else with this issue...

Comment

might want to double check some of your numbers Netflix is NOT downloading at 48khz for any of the trial downloads I've down, only 24khz

Seriously considering refunding my purchase at this point based on the poor audio qualities across the board

Comment

Originally posted by potenial_user View Post
          might want to double check some of your numbers Netflix is NOT downloading at 48khz for any of the trial downloads I've down, only 24khz

Seriously considering refunding my purchase at this point based on the poor audio qualities across the board
          It is for me (I'm in the USA if that matters). Here are some examples...

Audio from the movie 17 Again...
          Code:
          Audio
          ID : 2
          Format : AAC LC SBR
          Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity with Spectral Band Replication
          Commercial name : HE-AAC
          Format settings : Implicit
          Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
          Duration : 1 h 37 min
          Bit rate mode : Constant
          Bit rate : 192 kb/s
          Channel(s) : 6 channels
          Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE
          [B]Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz[/B]
          Frame rate : 23.438 FPS (2048 SPF)
          Compression mode : Lossy
          Stream size : 133 MiB (3%)
          Default : Yes
          Alternate group : 1
          Audio from the movie.... Double Jeopardy
          Code:
          Audio
          Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity with Spectral Band Replication
          Duration : 1 h 45 min
          Bit rate mode : Constant
          Bit rate : 128 kb/s
          Channel(s) : 2 channels
          Channel layout : L R
          Stream size : 96.8 MiB (2%)
          Monty Python and the Holy Grail
          Code:
          Audio
          Duration : 1 h 32 min
          Bit rate mode : Variable
          Bit rate : 192 kb/s
          Channel(s) : 6 channels
          Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE
          Stream size : 127 MiB (4%)

Comment

Just downloaded Monty Python and the Holy Grail, since you mentioned this was fine for you. It is also only has a 24khz audio sample rate for me.

I am also in the USA.

Is there a hidden setting somewhere that may be controlling this, I cannot find it in the UI.

I posted logs showing this in a previous post and was just told "that's the way it is" by staff. which was rather disappointing

Comment

Just downloaded Monty Python and the Holy Grail, since you mentioned this was fine for you. It is also only has a 24khz audio sample rate for me.

I am also in the USA.

Is there a hidden setting somewhere that may be controlling this, I cannot find it in the UI.

I posted logs showing this in a previous post and was just told "that's the way it is" by staff. which was rather disappointing
              First thing I'd check is Netflix...
              • When at the Netflix web site, go under ACCOUNT... (click the profile icon in the upper right, select Account from the drop down menu)
              • Look for the Profile and Parent control section
              • Expand the profile you are using in DRM Downloader (for our Netflix account, my wife, our son and I each have a profile, so we each can have our own "watch list" and "where you left off" settings... so I have 3 profiles/icons)
              • Next to Playback Settings, make sure it says BEST VIDEO AND AUDIO QUALTIY
                • if it says DEFAULT Video and Audio Quality, click CHANGE, and change it.
                • (my wife's and my profiles show BEST, our son's is DEFAULT. I haven't tried downloading under his profile)

And if it matters, here are my Downloader Settings...

General...
              Download Audio = Super Quality - 320kbps
              Download Video = Best
              Default video download quality for subscription = Best

DRM Video Downloader section..
              Amazon Region = Auto
              Amazon Video Codec = H264
              Resolution = Full
              Audio Quality = AAC 5.1
              Download Subtitle = Remux into file
              check Enable GPU Hardware Acceleration (I have an NVidia GTX1660ti card)

I don't work for DVDFab, just a relatively satisfied customer. I get this app has had growing pains (its relatively new!). Some versions have had bugs and others have fixes. BUT if over all its not working how you expected, or for what you want, its totally logical for you to email for a refund and look at other products.
              Last edited by KidJoe; 02-21-2021, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks for attempting to help. This did not fix the problem though

Comment

UGH. Sorry. I have no idea then.

Btw, what internet speed and provider do you have? I wonder if Netflix might give a lower quality stream if there is a slower internet speed or if there is congestion? I've got Comcast 1.2Gbps (although I still have a Comcast XB6 modem so I'm limited to 1gbps speed... well ~940mbps due to ethernet overhead). PC I'm downloading from has a 1gbps wired connection to the router.

Comment

My connection is 400Mbps, not super fast, but /should/ be fast enough.

I just tried Amazon for the first time in DRM Downloader, it is the only service that has acceptable audio quality (5.1 channel, eAC3 at 48khz) currently and is super fast

Comment

is the Monty Python and the Holy Grail from Netflix have the Mono stereo or the remastered soundtrack ??
                      it seems that the one from Amazon prime has the remastered soundtrack.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

is the Monty Python and the Holy Grail from Netflix have the Mono stereo or the remastered soundtrack ??
                        it seems that the one from Amazon prime has the remastered soundtrack.
                        it appears to be 5.1 channel AAC, at 192kpbs, the problem is that it's only got a 24khz sample rate rather than the normal 48khz (or even the older 44.1khz)

I assume that is the remastered version?

Comment

My connection is 400Mbps, not super fast, but /should/ be fast enough.

I just tried Amazon for the first time in DRM Downloader, it is the only service that has acceptable audio quality (5.1 channel, eAC3 at 48khz) currently and is super fast
                          Yeah, 400mbps should be fast enough. I have no idea why I'm seeing 48khz audio for Netflix and you only see 24khz. Sorry. I wish I could help. But at least you apparently see similar results with Amazon as I do.

Comment

Thank you for the great write-up KidJoe. I can confirm I get the same settings as you with Amazon and the CBS/Amazon workaround. I haven't tried the others. Anything I get through Amazon/Amazon channels is always downloading fast with the highest possible quality stream this program can handle that's available depending on the title. I noticed that you can subscribe to HBO through amazon, but not sure what titles are available. Amazon did tell me that if you get a subscription to HBO through any route, they will allow access to their HBO channels provided you have proof and valid login information through whatever outside provider you use. Again, this is what they told me, but I haven't actually tried it to verify myself yet. I'll eventually end up testing it myself so I know for fact. I've had reps tell me before that something will be compatible such as this and it wasn't. When I do get the opportunity to test it out, I'll be happy to follow up with a response.

Comment

The problem you are having with audio on Netflix videos is related to the spotty implementation of 5.1 channel AAC decoding in many devices. I do not know the history for why this is happening, but the HE-AAC multichannel codec (Surround sound / 5.1) is incorrectly labelled as 24khz in many programs and devices and just isn't supported in others: Plex, Roku, windows explorer etc. If you use a well serviced program for playback like VLC it is not an issue. This glitch in decoding causes all kinds of playback and transcoding problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X