Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DiscoveryPlus: Can we PLEASE get the subtitles (CC) fixed??? They have NEVER worked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGuyWithAComputer View Post
    Question, When you download this from SF. Do the forced subs still appear?

I Ask because the line in your screen shot "And honestly, my boobs," visually appear to be embedded in the video and are not a separate sub title stream in an MKV.

I would switch output to MP4 and export subs to SRT file in SF. This would result in 2 files. Personally I've had issue with SF and MKV files with subtitles of any kind So I still use MP4's with SRT files for subs and make my own MKVs
    SF will not download any subtitles for me any more from discovery plus in both UK and US regions. Mediainfo for the mkv or mp4 just does not show them, nor do they show in any player. I have also tried the option to export the file separately and nothing get downloaded.

Comment

Question, When you download this from SF. Do the forced subs still appear?

I Ask because the line in your screen shot "And honestly, my boobs," visually appear to be embedded in the video and are not a separate sub title stream in an MKV.

I would switch output to MP4 and export subs to SRT file in SF. This would result in 2 files. Personally I've had issue with SF and MKV files with subtitles of any kind So I still use MP4's with SRT files for subs and make my own MKVs
      In SF, MP4 or MKV, you will get the And honestly, my boobs but it would not be a selectable track or an external SRT.

The I know is in the SRT but i didn't get it with SF. I used yt-dlp
      How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post

In SF, MP4 or MKV, you will get the And honestly, my boobs but it would not be a selectable track or an external SRT.

The I know is in the SRT but i didn't get it with SF. I used yt-dlp
        So "And honestly, my boobs" is either burnt in or is a CC, which is encoded in the video. If it is a CC when viewing with VLC you will get the choice of 4 sub tracs labeled as Closed caption 1 through 4 (I see this on downloads from Peacock). More than likely it is burnt into the video.

SF has a setting under VIP Services for Subtitle Format make sure that is set to Extract to SRT File. Especially if you are outputting to MP4, this will make a SRT file by the same name of the video for each download. The Remux to file has never seemed to work right for me either, to the point that it looks like it doesn't download them with MP4. I don't know about with MKV as I do not use that option in SF and prefer to remux the MP4 and SRT files into my own MKVs

Now if you set it that way and you still do not get a SRT sub file, then we do have an issue and you should up load your log file for the Devs to investigate.

I do not have Discovery+ so I cannot test that module.

Comment

So "And honestly, my boobs" is either burnt in or is a CC, which is encoded in the video. If it is a CC when viewing with VLC you will get the choice of 4 sub tracs labeled as Closed caption 1 through 4 (I see this on downloads from Peacock). More than likely it is burnt into the video.

SF has a setting under VIP Services for Subtitle Format make sure that is set to Extract to SRT File. Especially if you are outputting to MP4, this will make a SRT file by the same name of the video for each download. The Remux to file has never seemed to work right for me either, to the point that it looks like it doesn't download them with MP4. I don't know about with MKV as I do not use that option in SF and prefer to remux the MP4 and SRT files into my own MKVs

Now if you set it that way and you still do not get a SRT sub file, then we do have an issue and you should up load your log file for the Devs to investigate.

I do not have Discovery+ so I cannot test that module.
          Ya they are burnt in. SF is just not downloading the CC. Before Discovery+ switched to DASH videos, SF would download the CC encoded in the video 1 out of 10 times. It was completely random. It also only worked if it was an MP4.

I have tried every permutation of settings and the result is always the same.
          • MP4 with Embedded Subs
          • MP4 with External SRT
          • MKV (FFMpeg) with Embedded Subs
          • MKV (FFMpeg) with External SRT
          • MKV (MKVToolnix) with Embedded Subs
          • MKV (MKVToolnix) with External SRT
          I got a message from Mona telling me to try with VLC but as i keep saying, i know very well what can and cannot play CC. Fact of the matter is if you can select the tracks in VLC, they will show up as tracks in MediaInfo also. Another reason for them to just actually take a look and see for themselves would be me telling them that i can get the subtitles using another tool! It's extremely frustrating for them to say try this, try that, when they cannot show that it works just fine for them.

Sigh...

P.S. Since you understand the issue, Discovery+ has a free trial if you want to give it a go. I am wondering if somehow something else that i have installed on my system is causing the issue as Showtime CC subs didn't work for me but worked for someone else...

Attaching the SRT file for S07E02 of 90 Day Fiance: Happily Every After so you can see what SF is supposed to generate but doesn't.
          Attached Files
          How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

Working...
          X