Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

StreamFab 5.0.5.3 Installation path, Uninstall not deleting everything, confusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StreamFab 5.0.5.3 Installation path, Uninstall not deleting everything, confusion?

Hi,

I noticed that the new version of StreamFab 5.0.5.3 installs in a different path than the old one.

Old Path: "C:\Program Files\DVDFab\StreamFab\StreamFab64.exe"

New Path: "C:\Program Files\StreamFab\StreamFab\StreamFab64.exe"

If you uninstall the old version in windows it leaves the log and temp files in the old \DVDFab path.

When you install the new version it creates them under the new \StreamFab path.

This might cause some confusion for users having log files in old & new paths and these files will continue to exist in the old path unless you know to manually delete them.

(Yes I know that "Open Log Files" from within the program now references the new path )

I'm also curious if a good review of the registry after an install of 5.0.5.3 has been done to make sure that anything that might reference the old path has been cleaned up.

I always do an uninstall of the old version, delete the log, temp & cache files and then reinstall from the offline version due to continuing problems with installing from within the program that users have encountered, being told to delete cache to see if that corrects some problems and advice to use the offline installer because it's cleaner.

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited by Mike_M; 09-16-2022, 01:36 PM.

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
    Hi,

I noticed that the new version of StreamFab 5.0.5.3 installs in a different path than the old one.

Old Path: "C:\Program Files\DVDFab\StreamFab\StreamFab64.exe"

New Path: "C:\Program Files\StreamFab\StreamFab\StreamFab64.exe"
    I'm not seeing it, Mike. SF 5.0.5.3 still installed for me in the so-called Old Path "C:\Program Files\DVDFab\StreamFab\StreamFab64.exe"
    I do use Ashampoo Uninstaller 11 to install StreamFab. It keeps track of all the changes including registry but I don't think it would override a direct program path change on its own. I'm interested to see how this all turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post

I'm not seeing it, Mike. SF 5.0.5.3 still installed for me in the so-called Old Path "C:\Program Files\DVDFab\StreamFab\StreamFab64.exe"
      I do use Ashampoo Uninstaller 11 to install StreamFab. It keeps track of all the changes including registry but I don't think it would override a direct program path change on its own. I'm interested to see how this all turns out.
      Hi Cats4U,

I just used Windows uninstall programs and also "remove the configuration" during the uninstall - which is how I usually do it.

Then I just installed the new StreamFab version using the downloaded offline installer.

It installed programs in (see attachments) a new StreamFab\StreamFab path instead of a sub of DVDFab\StreamFab.

Up until this version, it was also just installing in DVDFab\StreamFab path.

It also kept the old logs & temp folders in DVDFab\StreamFab (I manually deleted them so they were not in two places).

It also goes to the new StreamFab\StreamFab folder when I choose "Open Logs" from within StreamFab program.

Was surprised to see the new path installs.

Mike

Attached Files
      Last edited by Mike_M; 09-16-2022, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Cats4U,

Just to see if it repeated.

1. I uninstalled the new version, 5.0.5.3, using Windows uninstall programs and checked removed configuration, then
        2. Re-installed 5.0.5.2 from offline installer.

This time I didn't manually delete the Logs & Temps from old path and included a screenshot (see attached) with how the icons for each version show/created in the different paths.

Also showed how old log & temp folders are in 2 paths after removing 5.0.5.2 & installing 5.0.5.3.

1. 5.0.5.2 created everything under \DvdFab\StreamFab again &
        2. 5.0.5.3 created everything under new path \StreamFab\StreamFab again.

Like I said, it was odd that this happened and I didn't do anything different during uninstall & reinstall than I've been doing.

Mike
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mike_M; 09-16-2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I'm as surprised as you are. Changing install paths is usually not done after the first setting. I'm in the process of trying to find the Ashampoo log files for my install of SF 5.0.5.3. Things are all over the place with that program. I really don't like using a third-party uninstaller but I was getting tired of finding all the leftover stuff that the stock Win10 uninstaller was leaving behind.

Comment

Mike,
            I'll spare you the enormous log listing that I found with it's 5925 files installed and it's 28 registry entries. Basically it is just showing the old path and not a mention of the new. Maybe because I don't do a manual clean uninstall before I have Ashampoo do the install it just takes it on itself to use the existing path. I don't know. It'll be interesting to see if this causes any problems in the future with files not being found or whatever. That was a good catch by you either way.

Comment

Mike,
              I'll spare you the enormous log listing that I found with it's 5925 files installed and it's 28 registry entries. Basically it is just showing the old path and not a mention of the new. Maybe because I don't do a manual clean uninstall before I have Ashampoo do the install it just takes it on itself to use the existing path. I don't know. It'll be interesting to see if this causes any problems in the future with files not being found or whatever. That was a good catch by you either way.
              Cats4U,

1. It would be nice if DVDFab or StreamFab could explain StreamFab installing in different paths and why it occurs with different software releases (5.0.5.2 vs 5.0.5.3) via offline installers they provided with nothing else changing in your windows environment.

I would have thought *maybe* it had something to do with owning DVDFab also, but nothing is being changed with me having DVDFab also and it's going to \StreamFab\StreamFab with new version.

2. StreamFab's install process needs looking at too. Witness the need to use offline installer vs from within program due to some issues users have.

3. The uninstall process of StreamFab is *not* clean either using windows uninstall while choosing to delete the configuration.

It leaves logs, temp files and references in Windows Registry.

I get a headache looking at the Registry entries left by StreamFab and trying to figure out if they are/will be a problem and don't blame you for using a 3rd party uninstaller.

For right now I guess it's best to do an uninstall of the old version, delete temp, cache and logs and then an install from the offline installer.

But with this new quirk of different paths, dual log & temp folders and stuff remaining in registry it's still scary.

Just glad I do bi-weekly backups by cloning system drive in case something does popup down the road.

One uninstaller mentions:

https://www.advanceduninstaller.com/...pplication.htm

"The application is frequently placed in the C:\Program Files\StreamFab\StreamFab directory (same installation drive as Windows)."

I've only had StreamFab install itself in \DvdFab\StreamFab until this new version 5.0.5.3.

Mike

Comment

1. We'll have to wait until Monday for that. Probably Tuesday by the time Mona consults with the Developer.
                I only have one other Fengtao program and that is DVDFab Passkey. I feel like I've had that forever or at least as long as DVDs have been around. The thing with that is that the path to that program is C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab\DVDFab\Passkey and has been the whole time. I'm going to have to look now to see if they even make a 64bit version. I've always used the 32bit version since that was the type computer I had when I first started using the program many years ago.

2. I have a feeling, and I have not done any testing on the idea, that the reason the pop-up updater doesn't work for some is that they aren't in Administrative mode and the updater doesn't have permission to make certain changes while StreamFab is actually running (also perhaps in non-Administrator mode) or something like that. Like I said, it's just a hypothesis. I could be a gazillion miles in the wrong direction. But, you are right, it needs to be looked at.

3. I'm not too worried about the log and Temp file removal each and every update. I do a manual one or I have it done with a file cleaner that is a tool that is part of that Ashampoo Uninstaller package every 3-4 weeks. I really haven't noticed much of a difference whether the log and Temp files are removed or not. That's just me. Clearly there are cases where doing so is the only thing that keeps SF running properly. So, although I don't do it regularly, I still see the need for it and recommend it.
                The Registry is interesting. One thing I noticed with the Ashampoo Installer, it always shows that StreamFab uses exactly 28 registry entries. That has never changed since my first version. If you are seeing more or less of them, you might want to look into it. Here are two screenshots of the Registry entries I have. I hope they are readable. Sorry about the two background colors. I highlighted in blue when I didn't have to for a screenshot. There probably is a better way of doing this but I don't feel like exploring at this time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-17 1.31.45 AM.png
Views:	910
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	415140

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-17 1.34.20 AM.png
Views:	792
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	415141

And finally, I'm not trying to promote Ashampoo. I've used many other uninstallers in my time and I've had times where I've gone without any. I've found them all pretty much identical. The difference being that most or all of them have gone to a yearly licencing model and Ashampoo just had the best deal this time around. Next time I might be using Revo or something else.

Comment

Passkey only has one version....I think REVO is going for $14.96 One Time Special right now....I use the free, but might upgrade to the Pro for the one time price if everyone else is going yearly.

Passkey has never failed me...DVD or Blu-Ray.

SKIP THAT....JUST CHECKED AGAIN...THEY ARE NOW YEARLY.
                  Last edited by jimc115; 09-18-2022, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimc115 View Post
                    Passkey only has one version....I think REVO is going for $14.96 One Time Special right now....I use the free, but might upgrade to the Pro for the one time price if everyone else is going yearly.

Passkey has never failed me...DVD or Blu-Ray.

SKIP THAT....JUST CHECKED AGAIN...THEY ARE NOW YEARLY.
                    I've been using Revo for quite a few years and it's been really good at removing all traces of software I've installed in my experience. Also, I can confirm I've used it to completely remove all traces of dvdfab products including streamfab. The automated process it does has worked amazingly well for me. They have a fully functional 30 day trial. I think I have to renew every two years if I remember correctly. It does still operate as a fully functional program after subscription expiration. The only thing that I've had interrupted once it expires is just program updates until I renew. It works wonders at removing a lot of bloatware that microsoft loves to jam inside windows too.

Comment

Hi,

Here's what may be happening with StreamFab release installing in different paths of \DvdFab\StreamFab or \StreamFab\StreamFab according to a message received from Mona.

Message received:

"If you first installed StreamFab from streamfab.com and then run the one from dvdfab.cn website, you might have the problem. In this case, please remove them, and then only install the software from one site.

The developer still needs to discuss how to handle this situation.

Thanks.

Mona

I know in the past I've installed using the link to the new StreamFab offline version that installs to \DvdFab\StreamFab.

When I went to do this last time I remember getting an error trying to access the link from this forum so I typed StreamFab.com in my browser and downloaded the offline version from there (see attached #1) instead of from Dvdfab.cn (see attached #2).

It appears that doing the opposite order of installations (DvdFab.cn/StreamFab.com) from the order in Mona's message (Streamfab.com/DvdFab.cn) also may cause this.

This is new to me and the developer definitely needs to look at this.

It caused duplicate logs, temp files etc... and the paths in my registry were all over the place.

I even purchased registry/computer cleaning software for $45 in order to clean up this registry mess and spent time testing and deleting all DVDFab and StreamFab software from my computer by doing uninstalls, searching my hard drive for any references/files and doing uninstalls/reininstalls.

At this point the last version 5.0.5.3 is installed in StreamFab\StreamFab.

1. I'm going to uninstall this using Windows uninstall apps and also delete the configuration
                      2. Delete all temp\file\cache and other folders of StreamFab on my computer
                      3. Run the Registry/Computer cleaning software again
                      4. Install 5.0.5.3 from offline version from DvdFab.cn
                      5. Hopefully be back to a clean environment with StreamFab installed in \DvdFab\StreamFab path

I'm doing this because of the possibility of a .com address for StreamFab going away in the future, the $45 dollar Registry/Computer cleaner software being a yearly license and also to be consistent with past installations of DvdFab\StreamFab path installations.

The developer *does* need to look at this because there really should not be a difference in the install path based on if you download it from StreamFab.com or DvdFab.cn and it resulting in files left on computer for temp\logs\cache and registry issues/references since these sites are the same company.

I know when I search in Google.com (see attached #3) it has both company sites listed as #1 and #2 for StreamFab download for the offline installer.

Also, DvdFab/StreamFab *really* needs to look at the uninstall process for this product to make sure it deletes Logs\Cache\Temp files and removes all references that should be removed for a clean uninstall from the the computer's Registry.

Mike

Attached Files

Comment

I know this is going to sound crazy in retrospect but this is the first of me hearing about the StreamFab.com website. I didn't know it existed. I've always used the DVDFab.cn site. Now it appears to be a good thing I didn't know.
                        Good job, Mike! Your stick-to-it-ness really paid off and benefitted us all.

Comment

I know this is going to sound crazy in retrospect but this is the first of me hearing about the StreamFab.com website. I didn't know it existed. I've always used the DVDFab.cn site. Now it appears to be a good thing I didn't know.
                          Good job, Mike! Your stick-to-it-ness really paid off and benefitted us all.
                          Thanks!

Everything is back to DVDFab\Streamfab and looks good after jumping thru all the hoops in last post above.

"I know this is going to sound crazy in retrospect but this is the first of me hearing about the StreamFab.com website" - Cats4U

That's similar to me being on this forum and seeing a post that was "liked" a couple of days ago and having no idea how to like someone's post here. *sigh*

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

That's similar to me being on this forum and seeing a post that was "liked" a couple of days ago and having no idea how to like someone's post here. *sigh*
                            VBulletin is so 2001. I really wish the would switch to XenForo as it is more user friendly and has tons of awesome features right out of the box
                            How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

Working...
                            X