Download limit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download limit?

Is there a way to limit the max download speed that StreamFab uses? I would like to limit the download to approximately 75% of my max download speeds so that other web traffic is not effected as much.

If you are downloading from a different machine than other web traffic, decent routers let you set speed limits on specific devices
    How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post
      If you are downloading from a different machine than other web traffic, decent routers let you set speed limits on specific devices
      That's not possible since it is all on my main machine. My understanding is that StreamFab downloads based on looking like a browser to the provider. Since it is generic web traffic, I can't set any QoS settings. This is why I want the program itself to limit the total download speed.

Comment

Originally posted by rswiders View Post
        Is there a way to limit the max download speed that StreamFab uses? I would like to limit the download to approximately 75% of my max download speeds so that other web traffic is not effected as much.
        Hi rswiders,

I know my Internet providers equipment doesn't allow any adjustments/access to it.

I do have another computer and could add in a good router I have in closet that I'm not using for such a thing on my other machine (per JPP72's suggestion).

I've never tried to limit the speed for StreamFab, but you might look at:

Netlimiter - $29 for 2 years (subscription) - looks like it might handle by app
        NetLimiter, network monitoring and control tool

Priorities
        https://www.netlimiter.com/docs/basi...pts/priorities
        • 28-day trial period
        • For all Windows 7, 10, 11 and later
        ​Mike

US - CST, No VPN, Win 10/64 Pro, Win 11/64 Pro

Comment

you can set a data usage limit in windows 10
          1. Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
          2. Click Network & Internet.
          3. Beneath Network status, you'll see your different internet connections and how much data each has used in the last 30 days. For the one you want to set a data usage limit for, click Data usage.
          4. Beneath Data limit, click Enter limit.
          5. Select a time period (Limit type), the Monthly reset date/Days until data expires, and the Data limit (set the Unit as either MB or GB.)
          6. Click Save.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

you can set a data usage limit in windows 10
            1. Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
            2. Click Network & Internet.
            3. Beneath Network status, you'll see your different internet connections and how much data each has used in the last 30 days. For the one you want to set a data usage limit for, click Data usage.
            4. Beneath Data limit, click Enter limit.
            5. Select a time period (Limit type), the Monthly reset date/Days until data expires, and the Data limit (set the Unit as either MB or GB.)
            6. Click Save.
            Hi October262,

That limits network usage globally for any and all traffic in Windows - probably more useful for those that have a set amount of usage from their provider or are charged based on overall usage.

He want's to slow down the StreamFab download speed so that other things that use the Internet (like Chrome/etc..) at the same time will not be effected adversely while StreamFab is downloading.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

Hi October262,

That limits network usage globally for any and all traffic in Windows - probably more useful for those that have a set amount of usage from their provider or are charged based on overall usage.

He want's to slow down the StreamFab download speed so that other things that use the Internet (like Chrome/etc..) at the same time will not be effected adversely while StreamFab is downloading.

Mike
              ok, someone else already put in a request for this feature - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...download-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

Hi rswiders,

I know my Internet providers equipment doesn't allow any adjustments/access to it.

I do have another computer and could add in a good router I have in closet that I'm not using for such a thing on my other machine (per JPP72's suggestion).

I've never tried to limit the speed for StreamFab, but you might look at:

Netlimiter - $29 for 2 years (subscription) - looks like it might handle by app
                NetLimiter, network monitoring and control tool

Priorities
                https://www.netlimiter.com/docs/basi...pts/priorities
                • 28-day trial period
                • For all Windows 7, 10, 11 and later
                ​Mike

US - CST, No VPN, Win 10/64 Pro, Win 11/64 Pro
                I just tried that app and could not get it to limit the DL bandwidth for StreamFab. I tried by priority and DL limits.

Comment

I just tried that app and could not get it to limit the DL bandwidth for StreamFab. I tried by priority and DL limits.
                  Hi rswiders,

After I saw this post I downloaded & tested NetLimiter on my system.

The first thing I did was:

1. Set the reaction time to fast under priority on the first screen - I believe this his how fast reacts to modify speed. (see attached 1)
                  2. Then I loaded up the StreamFab queue and started some downloads
                  3. I then choose "Activity" at the top and highlighted StreamFab (see attached 2)
                  4. Then on the right side under "Rules" I set the "In Limit" to be 3 MB/s - make sure to use MB/s
                  5. I then clicked DL Rate at the top so that apps downloading would show at the top instead of alphabetically - handy because it shows total DL Rate for the system and the limited apps that are downloading add up to it...

The DL Rate for StreamFab in NetLimiter DL Rate column did adjust to the limit I set.

I believe that this is probably correct and what is happening is that the StreamFab speed download indicator is not being updated to the correct speed that it's actually downloading at when using this software.

It is still saying a higher value than the limited amount that is being monitored interactively by NetLimiter software under StreamFab software.

So you can't use StreamFab's rate as a true indicator of download speed while using this.

Actually, I like NetLimiter's monitoring better and it is probably more accurate.

I then started up a huge download from HBO Max from The Competitor - A Christmas Story Christmas in DolbyVision at 3840x2160...

I limited it's DL speed to 6 MB/s.

The DL columns in the respective applications indicate that it is indeed limiting the speed of download to 6 MB/S for A Christmas Story Christmas, although The Competitor is also showing the higher MB/s within it's software also and even though the DL speed in the competitors setting is at "Unlimited"...

I can see the indicator moving a *lot* slower on progress in both software downloaders and the download rate reported by both does not agree with what NetLimiter is saying.

NetLimiter also shows you the total downloading usage for your system at the top and the limited values for StreamFab and the Competitor do equal the system total.

I uses Amazon Prime - Paranormal Caught on Camera episodes.

One cool thing I noticed is that you can also use this software to increase the priority/download rate by toggle over to right and using advanced and setting priority to high. (see attachment 3).

(Attachment 4) shows StreamFab set as High Priority without limiting MB/s under rules & with The Competitor limited to 3 MB/s - just playing with settings to see interative ability to escalate/de-escalate DL Rate.

Adjusting the DL Rate/Priority seems to work on currently running jobs ok.

If you can live with the indicator in StreamFab not being accurate, I'd also test this limiting and see if the other apps you want to use that need bandwidth for downloading/internet activity are adequately responsive for you.

That would mean despite StreamFab's indicator, it's probably working.

Haven't spent a *lot of time testing this software that I just found after you posted your question, probably will do later.

Right now busy reorganizing Hard Drives/Directories and adding 2 more 16TB to mix.

Mike

US - CST, No VPN, Win 10/64 Pro & Win 11/64 Pro, Current StreamFab version
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Mike_M; 12-10-2022, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X