Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of consolidating my subscriptions to Amazon channels. Thoughts/experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post

Aeon Nox: SiLVO

The next up widget for TV Shows uses the Embuary Helper Script

All other widgets use the Library Data Provider.
    Thank you! I'll take a look at those. I've been using Plex mainly because I can't use KODI on my Rokus, but in the basement, our main "theater" space I have a ShieldTV Pro so I'd like to use Kodi more (it just works better). I know there is a Plex Plug-in to use in Kodi, but last I used it, it was old UI which didn't match Plex on Roku. And yeah, I know using Kodi on the shield means I can't sync watch history and such.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post

Thank you! I'll take a look at those. I've been using Plex mainly because I can't use KODI on my Rokus, but in the basement, our main "theater" space I have a ShieldTV Pro so I'd like to use Kodi more (it just works better). I know there is a Plex Plug-in to use in Kodi, but last I used it, it was old UI which didn't match Plex on Roku. And yeah, I know using Kodi on the shield means I can't sync watch history and such.
      Kodi is miles better than Plex IMHO. I only have Plex for my Friends & Family basically. Even when i travel via plane or train, i just copy video files to my Android tablet and use Kodi with a local database. Once i get to the hotel or AirBnB, i plug in one of my my Shields to the TV that also has local files with Kodi. I have a Shiled TV and Shield TV Pro with tons of added storage via microSD and USB.

As for the watch history, what i used to do is use Trakt.tv. Have Plex and Kodi both set and sync watch history to Trakt.tv with plugins/add-ons

Plex Plug-in: https://github.com/Taxel/PlexTraktSync
      Kodi Add-On: https://github.com/trakt/script.trakt

DM me if you need help with Kodi, the skin or the add-ons

I used to have a few Rokus and encouraged people to get one until the FireTV stick came out so i recommended those. I of course recommended the Shield to the people with more scratch but once the Chromecast w/Google TV came out, i told everyone to get one because it was a great device with true Android/Google TV unlike the firetv. Now that they have the 1080p version for $25, it's a no brainer.

If you get yourself Chromecasts w/Google TV to connect to your Roku TVs, i can help you setup your Kodi so that you share a single database for all your Kodi clients and have watched states sync'd
      How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

jpp72 After starting with a D-Link DSM-510 and Nero Media Home, I started migrating to FireTV boxes (1st and 2nd gen) with Kodi and added mySQL to keep things in sync, eventually upgrading to 4K sticks and 1st Gen cubes. I've also added USB sticks to the FireTVs to store the KODI files, since they are light on internal storage. And I added USB3 1gig nics.

So I'm good from a KODI aspect.

I switched to Roku due to the Xfinity Stream app being available only on Rokus at first, coupled with my wanting to save money on cable boxes yet be able to watch TV in our spare rooms occasionally, and then Amazon making the firmware changes that impacted DTS passthrough, and more recently converting all audio to DD+. So I ended up adding Roku Sticks in the spare rooms to watch TV, and Ultras in the family room, master bedroom (and "theater area" in the basement now that we finished it) to get rid of cable boxes and keep DTS support in the main areas. And I started to use my FireTV's and thus Kodi less and less.

Not to mention my wife likes the Roku UI better than FireTV's.

I don't like the Rokus because of how the Ultras have only 100mbps NICs, and their wifi isn't as stable so they aren't as good for high bitrate raw 4K Disc rips. Plus they don't support TrueHD so Plex transcodes to OPUS or EAC3 on the fly and you can hear some weird audio because of it. But for 1080p content, the Xfinity Stream App and the other apps like Vudu, Paramount+, HBO, Prime, they are just fine.

TrueHD, DTS-MA, and other passthrough supports are why I got a Shield TV Pro (2019) for the main "theater area" (now the basement, formerly the family room). It does so with Kodi and Plex. As far as I recall, the Chromecast w/Google TV doesn't support pass through of the more advanced audios either, do they? Either way, I'm waiting on either the Shield TV Pro (2019) to drop in price, OR an upgraded model before I buy another for the family room. The other rooms don't have any suround setup so its not worth changing from what I have.

I haven't found a way, at least with my 4K Max Stick and 1st Gen Cubes, to prevent the FireTVs from converting all Audio to DD+. I haven't got the 2nd Gen cube yet to try because of supposedly being able to passthrough TrueHD and core DTS, but last I visited the Kodi forum there were still audio issues there. Same with Plex.

The other reason I moved to Plex at first was to transcode files when copying to my mobile devices. Back in the day of the Moto Xoom tablet, I was ripping my discs to play via the FireTv's and Kodi, but they were too big to fit more than a movie or two on the Xoom. On a car ride with our son, or when we spent the weekend at my parents, or on airplanes as I traveled for work, it was nice to take as much as I could. So I was using DVD-Catalyst to re-encode them. I ended up with having multiple copies of movies in different resolutions. That got to be a mess as my collection has grown (now its over 3000 movies, plus a bunch of TV shows). Then we got some iPads so the provide in DVDCatalyst was different (Different aspect ratio, different audio and video codecs) With Plex transcoding on the fly as I copy/download to my mobile device, it saves me space allowing me to take more with me, it also puts them in a format compatible with that device, and I don't have to maintain separate copies. Plus with the ability to access my Plex server across the internet, I can watch server based stuff remotely (like our shore trips to OBX I signed into my plex server and streamed a few movies for my cousin's kids) and it transcodes if needed there too. Unfortunately Kodi plays it straight and doesn't transcode or anything, and doesn't work across the net.

So while I know I can just copy the movies to my Android tablet (Galaxy Tab S4, yeah old I know but still does the job) or my Surface Pro 7+ and play the files with Kodi, I've still run into audio codec issues, plus space/storage limits come into play. Taking a 1080p 20Mbps disc rip to 720p 4mbps is still watchable on these devices, and gives me a nice space savings to fit more. Sometimes I use 1080p 8mbps when "downloading" to my tablets. But the fact that it does that while it "downloads" or copies to my device is the best part. I can leave the original intact on the server for when I watch at home, and not have to maintain two copies or such. I don't carry any other devices, but I do bring a USB-C to HDMI adapter and can hook either the Tab S4 or Surface to the TV and watch that way. Plus I can sync my music (CD rips) from Plex the same way.

Its nice before a trip to say Wife, Son, we are going on a trip, log into Plex and load up your tablets (they have iPads) so you have entertainment on the plane, in the car, etc. And let Plex transcode and fit more on their tablets, in formats that work on their tablets.

Kodi direct playing, and not transcoding is both a plus and a minus. I love it when I can direct play, exactly like the orignal file, with the best audio and video. Unfortunately higher bit rate, or non-AC3 audio movies have issues playing on a FireTV Stick, where as Plex will transcode to a compatible video/audio format for the target device. This transcoding is both a plus and minus for Plex. I want to direct play everything but that means the device must support it, and Plex server must KNOW the device can support it, otherwise it transcodes. With the Shield I haven't run into any content I have that doesn't direct play.

Comment

KidJoe

Ya i totally get it. I used to use Plex to load up things on mine and my wife's tablets when we travelled but since we have tons of space on our tablets, i just switched to just copying to the tablet manually and using Kodi to play it.

The reason was because it has happened more than once where i would Sync (or now Download) with Plex to the tablets only to be furious when we are now on the plane and the files didn't actually transfer or are somehow unplayable due to some random error. I am an IT guy so i know things don't always work and i do get mad about it but it's not comparable to my wife's wrath when she goes on about technology failing.

I remember her being livid when she accidentally swiped left on a Plex download while on the plane and it just deleted the download without so much as a "Are you sure you want to delete those 12 episodes?"

As for the devices at home, i am kinda crazy with all the things i have/had. Some i keep just to help troubleshoot friends' issues...

The 65" TV in the Family Room has the Denon 7.1 receiver with the following connected to it:
          • MSI MPG Trident 3 10th Gen (Kodi Client)
          • Intel NUC NUC8i3BEK (StreamFab & AS Non-Canadian Downloading)
          • HP Victus Gaming Laptop (StreamFab & AS Canadian Downloading + Newsgroups Downloading and Kodi DB)
          • NVidia Shield TV Pro (2019) (Kodi Client)
          • Chromecast w/Google TV (4K) (Kodi Client)
          • FireStick TV (4K)
          • Raspberry Pi 3B inside a Mini SNES case

I have a couple more no longer used FireSticks and Roku's in a drawer under the TV

In the Dining Room, there is a non-Pro Shield TV (2019) (Kodi Client).

In the Primary Bedroom, there is a Zotac ZBOX MI642 (Kodi Client)

In my office, i just like all other devices in the house, i use Kodi 20.1 on my Dell Inspiron 24 All-in-One and just output it to my 3rd monitor

Although i am fine using Android devices for Kodi, nothing beats a mini HTPC with Windows for me. I can fix issues quickly and have full control over the OS and programs and it is easy to automate whatever i need. The PCs in the Family Room and Bedroom both have a FLIRC so i don't have to worry about wifey messing things up with the wireless keyboard.

I also prefer PCs for all the Audio Codecs i can use. Obviously my Denon supports everything so having a PC means i can use all of them.

The Chromecast w/Google TV does support passthrough but the specs say DD, DD+ and DD+Atmos.

When i travel, i bring a Shield with me in case i can connect to the TV in the hotel room. If the WiFi sucks, i use Plex and if the WiFi is good or there is an Ethernet connection, i VPN into my router and use Kodi to play in full quality. I just much prefer the Kodi interface and the playback controls.

Comment

KidJoe: FYI, I have a long reply but it sits unapproved. Probably because it has 6 links in it.

It's just describing my setup and why i use Kodi and only sometimes Plex. Hopefully it's approved when Mona starts her day tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post
              KidJoe: FYI, I have a long reply but it sits unapproved. Probably because it has 6 links in it.

It's just describing my setup and why i use Kodi and only sometimes Plex. Hopefully it's approved when Mona starts her day tomorrow...
              Maybe Send it via the boards message feature?

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post

Maybe Send it via the boards message feature?
                It's been approved now. https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...558#post426558

Comment

Working...
                X