Amazon Prime - forced subtitles are being stripped out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Amazon Prime - forced subtitles are being stripped out

I'm trying to download Swept Away (1975), which is in Italian with forced English subtitles, and I can't get a download that includes them. By default both "English" and "English forced narrative" were first selected, so then I tried just Forced Narrative in case they were somehow canceling each other out, and then just English [CC] and then finally tried "none" (because why the hell not at this point), and still no luck.

I then downloaded "Battle of Britain" because I remembered it has forced subtitled sections in it, just to see if those were stripped out, but nope - they're still there.

So what gives? This is an entire film where they're missing. Anyone got a workaround or is this a glitch the devs need to work on?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-03 21.55.09.png Views:	0 Size:	104.9 KB ID:	433662

Originally posted by artsunlimited View Post
    I'm trying to download Swept Away (1975), which is in Italian with forced English subtitles, and I can't get a download that includes them. By default both "English" and "English forced narrative" were first selected, so then I tried just Forced Narrative in case they were somehow canceling each other out, and then just English [CC] and then finally tried "none" (because why the hell not at this point), and still no luck.

I then downloaded "Battle of Britain" because I remembered it has forced subtitled sections in it, just to see if those were stripped out, but nope - they're still there.

So what gives? This is an entire film where they're missing. Anyone got a workaround or is this a glitch the devs need to work on?

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-03 21.55.09.png Views:	0 Size:	104.9 KB ID:	433662
    what are you outputting the movie to MP4 or MKV ??
    try analyzing the movie with mediainfo and see if the forced subs are there.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

what are you outputting the movie to MP4 or MKV ??
      try analyzing the movie with mediainfo and see if the forced subs are there.
      I'm outputting to MP4.

OK, so I ran Mediainfo (great idea btw) on my first attempt (default setting of both forced subtitles and CC subtitles selected). The first thing I noticed is that it indicates the audio stream is in English when it's actually in Italian. Is that because there are supposed to be English forced subtitles?

It then shows there are two subtitle text streams, but in timed text - which I believe means the subtitles aren't actually embedded in the video itself?

Please let me know if I'm not reading these results correctly! I've tried this on every player I have, and the only way I can watch it is on VLC after having to select subtitles, or on Amazon for the next week until my free trial subscription trial runs out. Grrr.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-03 23.18.05.png Views:	0 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	433668
      Last edited by artsunlimited; 12-04-2023, 04:58 AM.

Comment

I'm outputting to MP4.

OK, so I ran Mediainfo (great idea btw) on my first attempt (default setting of both forced subtitles and CC subtitles selected). The first thing I noticed is that it indicates the audio stream is in English when it's actually in Italian. Is that because there are supposed to be English forced subtitles?

It then shows there are two subtitle text streams, but in timed text - which I believe means the subtitles aren't actually embedded in the video itself?

Please let me know if I'm not reading these results correctly! I've tried this on every player I have, and the only way I can watch it is on VLC after having to select subtitles, or on Amazon for the next week until my free trial subscription trial runs out. Grrr.

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-03 23.18.05.png Views:	0 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	433668
        please post your streamfab log files.

Comment

please post your streamfab log files.
          Oh fer... I uploaded them in my initial post. My bad, I didn't realize I had to select "insert" after that.

Amazon_Meta (2).zip
          Attached Files

Comment

Also, please show the Text view of MediaInfo. You get a lot more info that way. What you posted is just, what I consider, a summary that has been formatted to look pretty.

Comment

Oh fer... I uploaded them in my initial post. My bad, I didn't realize I had to select "insert" after that.

Amazon_Meta (2).zip
              both files are password protected, see this thread to find the proper log files - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...eamfab-section

Comment

both files are password protected, see this thread to find the proper log files - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...eamfab-section
                That's how I got the logfile - click on the hamburger and select "Open Log File" - the path is This PC>Documents>DVDFab>StreamFab>Log This is how I've always accessed the log files, so am I screwing that up as well? (I forgot to use the "Amazon" topic prefix - sorry, @jpp721 !)

Everything but Amazon has an unencrypted Meta XML document, and my SF password won't open the Amazon one so I can extract it - my password is showing as "not correct." Ditto for my Amazon PW. I think this is the first time I've seen logs already compressed, let alone password protected, and I don't know what other PW will open it. I have the same version on my backup laptop, I can't unlock anything there either. No one is home at SF chat even though it's Monday there, so no help from that quarter.

Am I being really dense or am I just cursed here, or both?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-04 01.52.38.png Views:	0 Size:	206.1 KB ID:	433676
                Last edited by artsunlimited; 12-04-2023, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
                  Also, please show the Text view of MediaInfo. You get a lot more info that way. What you posted is just, what I consider, a summary that has been formatted to look pretty.
                  LOL, you're lucky you got that much - this is the first time I've used it and I'm feeling considerably behind on the learning curve tonight. Here's the nitty-gritty details in text, and thank you for taking a look - I'm very grateful to you and everyone else who's weighed in on this!

It shows "English forced narrative" as Text title #1, but it's nowhere to be seen when it's played, so is it somehow not being embedded or whatever as it's a timed text?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-04 02.00.43.png Views:	0 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	433679 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-04 02.01.01.png Views:	0 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	433680 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-04 02.01.10.png Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	433681
                  Last edited by artsunlimited; 12-04-2023, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I'm not the subtitle expert, Jack is, but it looks like neither of your 2 subtitles are being forced. I know in theory that you can enable that with MKVToolNix and other programs but it's been a long time since I played with that. I don't personally use subtitles all that much. I'm one of those filthy American snobs, if it's not in English I don't watch it.

Comment

OK, SF Chat says "just the one that says StreamFab is ok" which is news to me but as I FINALLY got the PW from SF chat, here's everything Amazon, in case it will help.
                      StreamFab.log Amazon_MetaDocument.zip Amazon_PlayBack.zip

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
                        I'm not the subtitle expert, Jack is, but it looks like neither of your 2 subtitles are being forced. I know in theory that you can enable that with MKVToolNix and other programs but it's been a long time since I played with that. I don't personally use subtitles all that much. I'm one of those filthy American snobs, if it's not in English I don't watch it.
                        LOL I'm also a filthy American snob , but I'll make an exception for Giancarlo Giannini. I'm glad to hear your assessment because I feel less of an idiot now, but honestly if I have to futz with one more bloody thing to make this b**tard work I'm gonna call it quits. I just want to watch this on the teevee at some point in the future and not have to be tethered to VLC with subtitles on my laptop, you know?

Comment

Hi all,

For the *meta.zip file, it's usefull to help to the dev to check the download or analyze failed problem. It's the web html files only.

It shows "English forced narrative"
                          It marked as forced subtitle in the Amazon video metadata.

And for the problem that the subtitle does not mark as the forced subtitle tag in the mediainfo, I will ask the dev to check it.

The first thing I noticed is that it indicates the audio stream is in English when it's actually in Italian.
                          For the audio problem, I will check it.

Wilson
                          Please post your logs the default location is:
                          For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                          For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                          If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post
                            For the audio problem, I will check it.
                            Hi Wilson - thanks for your attention to this! My only comment is that there isn't an "audio problem" as the audio track is in Italian, which it should be since the film wasn't dubbed into English, and it sounds just fine.

For some reason MediaInfo thinks it's in English, ma è pazzesco - and it doesn't affect playback.
                            Last edited by artsunlimited; 12-04-2023, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Hi Wilson - thanks for your attention to this! My only comment is that there isn't an "audio problem" as the audio track is in Italian, which it should be since the film wasn't dubbed into English, and it sounds just fine.

For some reason MediaInfo thinks it's in English, ma è pazzesco - and it doesn't affect playback.
                              in settings - VIP services, do you have the box checked next to "always download the forced subtitle" ??

Comment

Working...
                              X