Amazon Prime - forced subtitles are being stripped out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by october262 View Post

in settings - VIP services, do you have the box checked next to "always download the forced subtitle" ??
    I do - so much for a quick fix, huh? I have a 7-day free trial with Kino Film Collection channel, and there are a lot of other selections with forced subtitles like this one, so I'm going to see if more of them have this problem, or whether it's just this video.

BTW, thanks for cluing me in about the password protection - and for your other help, as well.

Comment

artsunlimited:

In order to narrow down the issue, we need to do some proper troubleshooting. It can be annoying to have to try several things but that is the best way to get something fixed. If we know the exact reasons & circumstances when something isn't working, it is usually easier to fix. Could you please try all 3 of these, 1 at a time:
      • Switching to MKV for the download
      • Extracting the subtitles to SRT instead of remuxing into the file
      • Switch download mode to Subtitles only.
      If none of these work, we need to get you those subtitles before the end of your trial. I am not sure how tech savvy you are but i will tell you how to get them and hopefully you can figure it out.

Using TamperMonkey or ViolentMonkey, use this UserScript to add a link to the movie's page to download the subtitles.

Basically you install *Monkey in Chrome or Edge, then navigate to the userscript and click install this script. Then, you go to the movie's URL and you should see a link to download the subtitles for that particular item.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	202
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	433703

Hopefully it will find the subs and you can remux them into​ the video file StreamFab downloaded. I cannot test it now as i don't have access and want to keep the 7-day trial in case the devs need me to try things.
      How to post issues in the StreamFab Section

Comment

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post
        artsunlimited:

In order to narrow down the issue, we need to do some proper troubleshooting. It can be annoying to have to try several things but that is the best way to get something fixed. If we know the exact reasons & circumstances when something isn't working, it is usually easier to fix. Could you please try all 3 of these, 1 at a time:
        • Switching to MKV for the download
        • Extracting the subtitles to SRT instead of remuxing into the file
        • Switch download mode to Subtitles only.
        If none of these work, we need to get you those subtitles before the end of your trial. I am not sure how tech savvy you are but i will tell you how to get them and hopefully you can figure it out.
        Thanks so much for all the time you're taking to troubleshoot this - and for inserting the Amazon prefix that I forgot.

Results:
        * MKV [FFmpeg], both forced subtitles and English [CC] selected: no forced display, but [groans] [screams] and [shouting] did show up when either character yelled in Italian
        * MKV [FFmpeg], forced subtitles only, no forced display, and no [CC] [shouting] etc. indicators
        * Back to MP4. Extracted subtitles to SRT and got a separate en-us_cc.srt file and a separate en-us_forced.srt file.
        * Already tried 1) forced subtitles only 2) English [CC] only 3) both together and finally 4) neither selected, last night, no selection worked

I'm middling tech-savvy if the wind is blowing right and I have a lot of caffeine on board, so let me know what you have in mind to obtain a forced-subtitled version. I'm game.

*** I just noticed that SF identifies the audio track as English - not Italian. It explains MediaInfo's mis-identification, but could it also be why English forced subtitles wouldn't display - i.e. the SF software sees that as either unnecessary, or as a conflict?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-04 14.23.23.png Views:	0 Size:	105.3 KB ID:	433707
        Last edited by artsunlimited; 12-04-2023, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by artsunlimited View Post

Thanks so much for all the time you're taking to troubleshoot this - and for inserting the Amazon prefix that I forgot.

Results:
          * MKV [FFmpeg], both forced subtitles and English [CC] selected: no forced display, but [groans] [screams] and [shouting] did show up when either character yelled in Italian
          * MKV [FFmpeg], forced subtitles only, no forced display, and no [CC] [shouting] etc. indicators
          * Back to MP4. Extracted subtitles to SRT and got a separate en-us_cc.srt file and a separate en-us_forced.srt file.
          * Already tried 1) forced subtitles only 2) English [CC] only 3) both together and finally 4) neither selected, last night, no selection worked

I'm middling tech-savvy if the wind is blowing right and I have a lot of caffeine on board, so let me know what you have in mind to obtain a forced-subtitled version. I'm game.

*** I just noticed that SF identifies the audio track as English - not Italian. It explains MediaInfo's mis-identification, but could it also be why English forced subtitles wouldn't display - i.e. the SF software sees that as either unnecessary, or as a conflict?

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-04 14.23.23.png Views:	0 Size:	105.3 KB ID:	433707
          see this thread post #6 and the link in post #9 - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...rced-subtitles, it has a lot of info for
          forced subtitles

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

see this thread post #6 and the link in post #9 - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...rced-subtitles, it has a lot of info for
            forced subtitles
            Thanks! KidJoe is amazeballs on this topic - "Trusted Member," indeed! I'm learning a lot here.

As I finally broke down and paid for a perpetual license to upgrade my Wondershare Uniconverter yesterday, their latest software will let me burn subtitles into the film (it does recognize there are 2 subtitle tracks there, but only the English [CC] one shows, and I can even change the font, color and size on that - whee) so at least I'll have a converted, watchable version if SF proves resistant to letting me download one with forced subtitles. So far neither MP4 nor MKV downloads have been successful in reproducing the forced-subtitle version that I can stream on Amazon.
            Last edited by artsunlimited; 12-04-2023, 10:29 PM.

Comment

artsunlimited,

Is there any reason why you are using StreamFab version 6.1.4.7 rather than the latest? I finally got around to looking at your StreamFab.log which is actually far from being complete for your download session.
              Last edited by Cats4U; 12-04-2023, 10:10 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

the only way I can watch it is on VLC after having to select subtitles, or on Amazon for the next week until my free trial subscription trial runs out. Grrr.
                ​
                Just in case you want to try to get it elsewhere, according Justwatch.com, there are two other sites that have the movie and have free trials. One is https://metrograph.com/at-home-movie...42f671210691fd and is listed as a supported StreamFab MPD site. The other is https://www.ovid.tv/videos/swept-away but is not listed as a supported site (but you never know).

Comment

StreamFab.log
                  Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
                  artsunlimited,

Is there any reason why you are using StreamFab version 6.1.4.7 rather than the latest? I finally got around to looking at your StreamFab.log which is actually far from being complete for your download session.
                  Mostly because I don't update unless I have to because I've encountered too many glitches with updates and then had problems going back to a workable version, but I updated to the latest - 6.1.5.2 - on my backup laptop as soon as I realized there was an issue. Unfortunately, that didn't fix it - sorry about not including that.

Everything I'm trying (downloading MKV instead etc) I'm doing on the latest version. I honestly wouldn't know a complete log from my - uh, strike that - so I bow to your expertise there; I wonder why v.6.1.4.7 log isn't complete, though. Are attached logs from my other laptop, latest version, any better?

StreamFab.log Amazon_PlayBack.zip Amazon_MetaDocument.zip Amazon_MPD.zip
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by artsunlimited; 12-04-2023, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Just in case you want to try to get it elsewhere, according Justwatch.com, there are two other sites that have the movie and have free trials. One is https://metrograph.com/at-home-movie...42f671210691fd and is listed as a supported StreamFab MPD site. The other is https://www.ovid.tv/videos/swept-away but is not listed as a supported site (but you never know).
                    Thanks for the research! I haven't used DRM MPD, is the video and audio just as good?
                    Honestly, it took me forever to figure out it wasn't included in the SF liftetime supposedly all-inclusive version I bought two years ago, so my attitude has pretty much been - make me buy it. Then we'll go ice skating in Hell.

I'm open to persuasion, however.
                    Last edited by artsunlimited; 12-04-2023, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks! KidJoe is amazeballs on this topic - "Trusted Member," indeed! I'm learning a lot here.

As I finally broke down and paid for a perpetual license to upgrade my Wondershare Uniconverter yesterday, their latest software will let me burn subtitles into the film (it does recognize there are 2 subtitle tracks there, but only the English [CC] one shows, and I can even change the font, color and size on that - whee) so at least I'll have a converted, watchable version if SF proves resistant to letting me download one with forced subtitles. So far neither MP4 nor MKV downloads have been successful in reproducing the forced-subtitle version that I can stream on Amazon.
                      really you can burn subtitles into the film with ffmpeg. you just need to change the subtitle file from
                      srt to ass using ffmpeg -i input.srt output.ass and then to burn the subtitles to the video use ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -vf ass=subtitle.ass out.mp4

Comment

Thanks for the research! I haven't used DRM MPD, is the video and audio just as good?
                        Honestly, it took me forever to figure out it wasn't included in the SF liftetime supposedly all-inclusive version I bought two years ago, so my attitude has pretty much been - make me buy it. Then we'll go ice skating in Hell.

I'm open to persuasion, however.
                        also the movie is available on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1uwwC8ID0E

Comment

Are attached logs from my other laptop, latest version, any better?
                          I only skimmed through the StreamFab.log because you have many sessions in it. For the most part all the sessions look to be complete. You start off using SF version 6.1.1.3 back in July and end with version 6.1.5.2 from today. In between there are some 6.1.4.7 sessions.
                          In general, if you are going to be reporting a problem, it is probably best to delete the existing StreamFab.log before you start a session. It makes it easier for the developer to track down the problem without having to hunt for it. But on the other hand, it is hard enough trying to get someone to attach a StreamFab.log without asking them whenever they report a problem, so I guess we should be grateful for whatever we can get.

Comment

In general, if you are going to be reporting a problem, it is probably best to delete the existing StreamFab.log before you start a session. It makes it easier for the developer to track down the problem without having to hunt for it. But on the other hand, it is hard enough trying to get someone to attach a StreamFab.log without asking them whenever they report a problem, so I guess we should be grateful for whatever we can get.
                            That makes perfect sense; it certainly is a good habit to get into.

Comment

Hi,

For the audio language problem, it's not the bug of StreamFab, it marked as English by Amazon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot-20231205-120950.png Views:	0 Size:	347.6 KB ID:	433731

For the subtitle, you can set the forced subtitle as default play back subtitle when downloading the video.

Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot-20231205-120916.png Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	433732

And for the forced subtitle flag, I will ask the dev to check it. But the forced flag can be supported only when download as MKV with MKVToolNix.

MP4 and FFMPEG don't support it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot-20231205-121307.png Views:	0 Size:	210.3 KB ID:	433733

If you want to correct the audio language and add the forced display flag for the subtitle, you can use MKVToolNix to correct it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot-20231205-121557.png Views:	0 Size:	156.1 KB ID:	433734

MKVToolNix Download Link: https://mkvtoolnix.download/windows/...81.0-setup.exe

Hope this can help you.

Wilson
                              Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 12-05-2023, 04:19 AM.
                              Please post your logs the default location is:
                              For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                              For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                              If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X