Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop StreamFab from Using OneDrive Documents Folder?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StreamFab for Windows Stop StreamFab from Using OneDrive Documents Folder?

I have all of the settings pointing to a custom folder, but every time the app opens, it creates a folder in OneDrive's Documents folder. How do I stop this?

No, disabling OneDrive as the default storage location is not an option.
  • Answer selected by Cats4U at 03-08-2024, 11:37 PM.

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
    Ok, I went over your StreamFab.log and didn't find a hidden rotten tomato like I was hoping to find. I, even, did a direct comparison with my log, so I wouldn't miss anything. Nothing stood out. So, I broke out Google and entered Stop OneDrive Documents folder. It came up with basically one fix. It appears to be the same or near what October262 wrote about.
    To stop OneDrive from syncing documents, you can try the following steps:
    1. Open OneDrive by clicking the cloud icon in the taskbar
    2. Click the gear icon in the top right corner
    3. Select Settings
    4. Open the Backup and sync tab
    5. Select Manage backup
    6. Toggle off the sync option for documents, pictures, and desktop
    There are a few other tips, but they don't look any more likely than the one above. Load up Google and enter the same words and give them a try. The first thing I did when I got my Windows 10 computer was to remove OneDrive because I already had Amazon S3. I'm pretty happy with a month's worth of backups for 73 cents.
    â
    I understand, but it is not the OneDrive Documents folder I am trying to stop. If you select, in OneDrive, to have all of your Documents, Photos, etc... files to be automatically stored in OneDrive (cloud), then it creates a setting in the Windows environment that automatically puts anything that would normally be stored in the Documents folder to be redirected to the Documents folder of OneDrive. The issue is that this results in bandwidth usage every time StreamFab checks for an update.

Shockingly enough, it seems to have stopped creating the folder at random. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, reinstalled Windows, and all kinds of hacks over the year. None worked. Needless to say, there are a lot of apps that just use whatever Windows defaults to, and not what the user sets in the settings.

Thank you Cats4U and Germania for all the assistance. As said, it seems to have stopped recreating the folder/files, and I haven't even upgraded the software since I posted originally.

Comment

This thread might give you the answer, although if you go by the topic, you wouldn't think it is related --- https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...hes#post432939

Comment

• Cats4U
        Cats4U commented
        Editing a comment
        The more that I played with it, the more that I realized that it wouldn't fix anything but the crash problem. Sorry.

Originally posted by w.pruitt View Post
      I have all of the settings pointing to a custom folder, but every time the app opens, it creates a folder in OneDrive's Documents folder. How do I stop this?

No, disabling OneDrive as the default storage location is not an option.
      found this - How to stop OneDrive from automatically creating a documents folder?

One Drive can automatically include your Desktop / My Documents / and Pictures folders to sync. If you don't want them to sync - right click the OneDrive icon in the taskbar and click settings. Then look at the “Sync and backup” settings -> manage backup and you can switch off any or all of them

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

found this - How to stop OneDrive from automatically creating a documents folder?

One Drive can automatically include your Desktop / My Documents / and Pictures folders to sync. If you don't want them to sync - right click the OneDrive icon in the taskbar and click settings. Then look at the “Sync and backup” settings -> manage backup and you can switch off any or all of them

Thanks october262 , but this isn't exactly what I was asking. I was asking how to stop StreamFab from creating folders in the Documents folder of OneDrive since I don't even use my Documents folder to save anything of StreamFab. I am using custom folders in the settings of the app. Deselecting the DVDFab folder only stops it from syncing from the cloud TO my computer. Not from my Computer to the cloud. Those settings are for what is available on the computer.

Comment

Did you completely close down StreamFab after you changed the location of the Out, Log, and Temp directories? I might even go so far as to reboot your computer.

Comment

This is not a new issue, this same issue is and still is in DVDFab and Unifab, etc. fentago software tends to use the c:/user/documents folder for everything and creates / uses such until it loads the custom settings if it just flat out does not ignore them those custom settings. it also ignores where the windows system has the documents folder mapped to, if it is mapped on another drive. they should be using the custom settings or the appdata folder... there is a few messages in the DVDFab and UNIFab forums about this as well...

Comment

Oh, he means this:

Update files - DVDFab Forum

Comment

What I'm referring to is https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...ng-bad-bad-bad and https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...ll-directories both of those we still get a good deal of garbage thrown into the documents folder. similar behavior with PlayerFab as well... just one of those major annoyances that it looks like even though we have a legitimate complaint about due to the use of the documents folder which causes a lot of other issues as well... seams to be on the "maybe if I feel like it" if its on the devs radar at all...

Comment

Originally posted by Beyil View Post
                  What I'm referring to is https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...ng-bad-bad-bad and https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...ll-directories both of those we still get a good deal of garbage thrown into the documents folder. similar behavior with PlayerFab as well... just one of those major annoyances that it looks like even though we have a legitimate complaint about due to the use of the documents folder which causes a lot of other issues as well... seams to be on the "maybe if I feel like it" if its on the devs radar at all...
                  Please keep this discussion to StreamFab. If you have a problem with any other software product, please post to their respective forums or send Feedback to the main Technical Support. Thank you.

Comment

Did you completely close down StreamFab after you changed the location of the Out, Log, and Temp directories? I might even go so far as to reboot your computer.
                    This is on multiple versions over the year+ that I have had StreamFab. Many, many reboots. I don't leave StreamFab running, so it has been completely shut down multiple times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by w.pruitt View Post

This is on multiple versions over the year+ that I have had StreamFab. Many, many reboots. I don't leave StreamFab running, so it has been completely shut down multiple times a day.
                      Ok, then. Delete your StreamFab.log file and then download a video file, I don't care what it is. Shut down StreamFab after you get it and attach the new StreamFab.log here.

Comment

Ok, then. Delete your StreamFab.log file and then download a video file, I don't care what it is. Shut down StreamFab after you get it and attach the new StreamFab.log here.
                        As requested, and Thanks for the help Cats4U

Basically, is there a way you could suggest that those frivilous files be placed the %LocalAppData% Folder instead, considering they are of no use to the user?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by w.pruitt; 03-08-2024, 07:10 PM.

Comment

In SF Settings you can use Cutomized directory for Log, Temp and Output ..
                          .. and if I understand correctly, you want to prevent directory creation in Documents?

> but every time the app opens, it creates a folder in OneDrive's Documents folder

If I select a different drive for Log, Temp and Output ..
                          .. no Directory is created in Documents at SF startup.
                          And after succesfully DL and closing SF there is no new directory in Documents

What kind of directory is created there? What's the directory name?

If it's the Live Update, rename StreamUpdate.exe if not running and SF is closed.

That's why I won't install OneDrive.
                          But maybe this is responsible and not SF, then you have to close OneDrive while using SF.​

Comment

Ok, I went over your StreamFab.log and didn't find a hidden rotten tomato like I was hoping to find. I, even, did a direct comparison with my log, so I wouldn't miss anything. Nothing stood out. So, I broke out Google and entered Stop OneDrive Documents folder. It came up with basically one fix. It appears to be the same or near what October262 wrote about.
                            3. Select Settings
                            5. Select Manage backup
                            There are a few other tips, but they don't look any more likely than the one above. Load up Google and enter the same words and give them a try. The first thing I did when I got my Windows 10 computer was to remove OneDrive because I already had Amazon S3. I'm pretty happy with a month's worth of backups for 73 cents.
                            ​

Comment

3. Select Settings
                              5. Select Manage backup
                              â
                              I understand, but it is not the OneDrive Documents folder I am trying to stop. If you select, in OneDrive, to have all of your Documents, Photos, etc... files to be automatically stored in OneDrive (cloud), then it creates a setting in the Windows environment that automatically puts anything that would normally be stored in the Documents folder to be redirected to the Documents folder of OneDrive. The issue is that this results in bandwidth usage every time StreamFab checks for an update.

Shockingly enough, it seems to have stopped creating the folder at random. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, reinstalled Windows, and all kinds of hacks over the year. None worked. Needless to say, there are a lot of apps that just use whatever Windows defaults to, and not what the user sets in the settings.

Thank you Cats4U and Germania for all the assistance. As said, it seems to have stopped recreating the folder/files, and I haven't even upgraded the software since I posted originally.

Comment

Working...
                              X