6.0.0.2. removing hardcoded subtitles in Prime video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.0.0.2. removing hardcoded subtitles in Prime video

Using 6.0.0.2., I downloaded "The Battle of Britain" from Prime Australia using a VPN. All the scenes with Germans speaking German were hardcoded, i.e. subtitled in the original, and as you can see, they show up when I stream the film in my browser (video itself is blacked out in screen capture). Those subtitles were removed in the download, so now it's just the German high command nattering to each other in German, with none of that translation. Even with the English subtitle option selected in VLC player, there's nothing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-15 12.12.46.png Views:	0 Size:	11.7 KB ID:	417737
    Last edited by artsunlimited; 11-15-2022, 05:07 PM.

Do you have "Always download the forced subtitle" checked in the Settings for VIP Services?.....

See the attached screenshot.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	FORCED SUBTITLES.png Views:	0 Size:	376.6 KB ID:	417748

​"Just because you can..... doesn't mean you should!"

"The only thing worse than the devil that you know..... is the devil that you don't!"

Comment

Originally posted by weavermovies View Post
      Do you have "Always download the forced subtitle" checked in the Settings for VIP Services?.....
      As you clearly went to a deal of trouble to produce a very helpful image, I really wish I could report that was the culprit - but nope, it's checked. Thank you for thinking of that, though!

What your suggestion did prompt me to do is check my earlier downloads. A week ago I downloaded "Patton," which also has forced English subtitles, using 6.0.0.0. and my US Prime account, no VPN, and those haven't been removed, so now I suspect this is a later version glitch.
      Last edited by artsunlimited; 11-15-2022, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by artsunlimited View Post

As you clearly went to a deal of trouble to produce a very helpful image, I really wish I could report that was the culprit - but nope, it's checked. Thank you for thinking of that, though!

What your suggestion did prompt me to do is check my earlier downloads. A week ago I downloaded "Patton," which also has forced English subtitles, using 6.0.0.0. and my US Prime account, no VPN, and those haven't been removed, so now I suspect this is a later version glitch.
        while watching a movie, do you have the subtitles disabled / turned off ??

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

while watching a movie, do you have the subtitles disabled / turned off ??
          I test downloads on my laptop, using the Windows Movie & TV app, which will show hardcoded subtitles, but not closed caption/English subtitles. If I want that feature, I need to use VLC, which allows you to select a subtitle track, or not.

Comment

Originally posted by artsunlimited View Post
            Using 6.0.0.2., I downloaded "The Battle of Britain" from Prime Australia using a VPN. All the scenes with Germans speaking German were hardcoded, i.e. subtitled in the original, and as you can see, they show up when I stream the film in my browser (video itself is blacked out in screen capture). Those subtitles were removed in the download, so now it's just the German high command nattering to each other in German, with none of that translation. Even with the English subtitle option selected in VLC player, there's nothing.

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-15 12.12.46.png Views:	0 Size:	11.7 KB ID:	417737
            Could you please also provide the log file? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mona View Post

Could you please also provide the log file? Thanks.
              Hi Mona - please check your email.

Comment

It's quite possible that the video has Closed Captions. In which case they would be downloaded regardless of settings as they are in the video file itself. I know that peacock is bad at doing this. I usually use ffprobe to check the video stream name, it will contain "Closed Caption" in it if that is the case. you can then use ffmpeg to remove it.

Comment

Working...
                X