Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explanation of re-encode mode?

Hi,

Is the difference between re-encode mode and normal mode described somewhere? (Other than things like speed, it works/doesn't work, etc.) What is being re-encoded and why?

Thanks

Originally posted by RobinD42 View Post
    Hi,

Is the difference between re-encode mode and normal mode described somewhere? (Other than things like speed, it works/doesn't work, etc.) What is being re-encoded and why?

Thanks
    see this thread here - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...-streamfab-faq

Comment

Hi RobinD42,

It would be nice if StreamFab explained some of this.

I'm now trying an older file (Transformers - Age of Extinction) from Paramount+ Direct Website and it's going *incredibly* slow.

I don't know if this will be the new normal until they fix stuff (haven't ran enough older file tests to know/or tests with different streamers), but it's even creeping along segment by segment when downloading "audio"

I *think* StreamFab 6.0.0.7. is using QCEF vs StreamFab as the application (that's what it showed on a few files now) in NetLimiter.

It also seems to be doing Uploading and Downloading of data for QCEF concurrently, whereas, I *think* it was nearly exclusively download prior to 6.0.0.6, but I would have to test to make sure that's how it worked previously.

I almost feel like running 6.0.0.6 and booting to Win 11/64Pro with 6.0.0.7 for newer stuff due to slowdown with new version if it's across board.

I also have not run comparisons for same older files in 6.0.0.6 vs 6.0.0.7 which would be nice to have for sampling download time comparisons from different Streaming services - which is something I might do later using my other computer too, but have a life with other stuff to do.

I think I'm gonna chill for a bit.

Attachments: (some monitoring via NetLimiter of uploading/downloading rates & app QCEF showing being used in 6.0.0.7 and details of completed old file Transformers - Age of Extinction via Paramount+ direct website with 6.0.0.7)

Mike

US - CST, No Vpn, Win10/64 Pro & Win11/64/Pro, StreamFab 6.0.0.7
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mike_M; 12-11-2022, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

In the above link/StreamFab Faq:

Does StreamFab alter or re-encode the movie it downloads in any way?

No. StreamFab downloads the movie as it is presented by the streaming service. It does not re-encode it, change the bit rates or other audio or video parameters, etc.

So basically they now have added a "re-encode" process, but per the StreamFab Faq they *don't* re-encode?

I *think* this "re-encode" mode may mean a re-visit/modification of that StreamFab faq, but IMHO they were already doing re-encoding per the statement of adding identifiers to the files for tracking per attachments of StreamFab Statements.

I'm not saying they did this, StreamFab said they were doing this in previously worded statement and I would think by saying they added that, it's a "re-encoding".

The did modify the Statement after it was pointed out, but didn't address whether the deleted information from the Statement was still being done.

(attachment one - previously worded Statement)
        (attachment two - Current Statement after above was pointed out & questioned.)​
        Attached Files

Comment

I *think* StreamFab 6.0.0.7. is using QCEF vs StreamFab as the application (that's what it showed on a few files now) in NetLimiter.
          I've explained this several times in the past here. CEF is the Chrome Embedded Framework. Basically it is Chromium browser that can be incorporated into other programs. StreamFab uses the Qt framework as StreamFab's design and development tools. This is the same framework used by Qbittorrent although I haven't checked if they are using the same versions. QCEF is just CEF used within the Qt design. It is nothing other than the browser you see in StreamFab. It has no other purpose. You enter an address and it displays it. That's it. Don't make it out to be anything more than it is.

Mike,
          You know I like you. You have the same urge to help other users that I do. I've enjoyed working with you solving other user's problems here in the past. But I think you need to chill out a little. My Internet was out for 2 days and when I finally was able to read this forum again I found a whole lot of new messages and most were started by you. They were redundant and boring. You don't need to do a constant documentation of everything you do on the computer (in multi-color). We all know that the cat has gone after the mouse and the mouse is trying to fight back. There's no need to give a blow by blow description in detail of the various battles. Just wait it out and in a matter of time the mouse will be in control again (until the cat makes another assault in 6 months to a year.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

No. StreamFab downloads the movie as it is presented by the streaming service. It does not re-encode it, change the bit rates or other audio or video parameters, etc.

So basically they now have added a "re-encode" process, but per the StreamFab Faq they *don't* re-encode?
            first, that is NOT an official FAQ. I put it together because of a lot of repeat questions in the forum, and the MODs we're ok with my posting it (I direct messaged them privately and got approvals back then before posting it. ).

Next...read the rest of that entry (which was not included in quotes in this thread...)
            NOTE: Due to DRM changes on the Streaming Service sites that started on December 1, 2021, StreamFab has implemented a necessary workaround that does involve re-encoding after download for some, but not all, movies and shows. In such a case you will get a pop-up message alerting you to the necessary re-encode. Please see the release notes to StreamFab v5.0.0.8 and 5.0.0.9 for the published information
            Yes, there was a re-encoding step needed/used as a temporary work around due to a past DRM change. But that Re-encoding was eventually removed when they put the final fix in place. (See also https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...981#post404981

Based on the release notes for 6.0.0.7 -> https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...cember-11-2022

A re-encode step has returned.
            - For other services, most of videos can be downloaded as usual, only the newly-released ones will switch to the new re-encoding mode. (The audio quality is down to AAC in this mode, and the download speed will also be slightly affected but the video quality remains almost close to the original.)
            But they don't say if this is a work around, or permanent "new feature. ". HOWEVER that wording appears to be exactly what they typed in the release notes for 5.0.0.8 when Re-encoding step was added to work around that DRM change.

So I'm hoping it's temporary again like last time.

Last edited by KidJoe; 12-11-2022, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post
              Mike,
              You know I like you. You have the same urge to help other users that I do. I've enjoyed working with you solving other user's problems here in the past. But I think you need to chill out a little. My Internet was out for 2 days and when I finally was able to read this forum again I found a whole lot of new messages and most were started by you. They were redundant and boring. You don't need to do a constant documentation of everything you do on the computer (in multi-color). We all know that the cat has gone after the mouse and the mouse is trying to fight back. There's no need to give a blow by blow description in detail of the various battles. Just wait it out and in a matter of time the mouse will be in control again (until the cat makes another assault in 6 months to a year.)
              Not sure why we had to go here to generalize. Don't think Mike needs to chill in posting, what maybe boring in content to you is not the consensus for everybody. With respect for both of you guys in posting this is a big no in posting such. Mike don't stop posting what you think might be informative information even if it might be native information to some.

Comment

Originally posted by Down2Earth View Post

Mike don't stop posting what you think might be informative information even if it might be native information to some.
                Agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by Down2Earth View Post

Not sure why we had to go here to generalize. Don't think Mike needs to chill in posting, what maybe boring in content to you is not the consensus for everybody. With respect for both of you guys in posting this is a big no in posting such. Mike don't stop posting what you think might be informative information even if it might be native information to some.
                  Hiya Down2Earth,

Not a big deal to me, I'm normally a pretty chill guy and try not to get involved in back & forth stuff.

If I feel that something could be helpful or informative to someone, I'll probably post away.

Like I did recently with Roku Ultra USB ports utilizing hardware upscaling to help with those 720p's at a fairly small one-time cost, Topaz Ai enhancing/upscaling usage of 720p/sub 720p stuff and adding new luster/viewing enjoyment to old valued movies, HBO Max being added back to Amazon as a channel, Apple+ free for 2 months, NetLimiter discovery/usage, pointing out GPU usage - which had the added benefit of getting KidJoe to clarify and bring more information to the table re: the Faq he compiled.

More information IMHO is nice and each of us has the ability to weigh it for our needs and incorporate/ignore if we find stuff redundant or boring.

Heck much of the things I learn are in response to my needs and to people's questions/needs and software shortcomings - whether long-term or short-term.

One person's boring/redundant post about something, could be helping someone else and might spur action on the part of those that can act.

Even stuff read somewhere else could turn out to be very helpful and give people a healthy heads-up

For instance Cats4U's post about 2 weeks notice gave many of us a foreshadowing of what might be coming shortly and resulted in many of us moving into high gear and updating as much content as possible just in case.

There were several posts about users utilizing that time as an opportunity to update as much as possible and maxing out their limits.

Heck, I listed all by 720p/sub 720 (hundreds) by using explorer on all my disks & adding/sorting by dimensions, bitrate sound quality then throwing those in a sub directory on disks.

Then reviewed/prioritized content I liked, searching Justwatch & Reelgood, going to providers and getting the better/new updates.

It took several days - but *mission accomplished*.

Those not finding better updates on streaming providers and worthy of updating have dates with Topaz Ai.

Mike

PS: Just utilized StreamFab to play Emancipation in it's browser (Chrome/Firefox/Edge won't show) after cancelling download and did a screen capture in real-time at 12,000 kbps using "background" mode of screen capture software which allows "obscuring" of StreamFab/playing window without effecting capture (see attachment one and two). I can browse & use other software at the same time. Probably will use DVDFab/Topaz AI (enhance/upscale) to get to a size I like - 1080p? which beats the heck out of StreamFab's current Apple+ resolution/video bitrate and unusable audio rate of 32.4 kb/s - but StreamFab's browser is allowing me to do this.

The odd larger size is due to defining the capture window above & below the actually playing video into the "black", which captured the subtitle's when the characters spoke in "Swahili", I believe - noticed that when I first looked at - wanted to include that too.

US - CST, No VPN, Win10/64 Pro & Win11/64 Pro, current StreamFab version​, Current DVDFab
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Mike_M; 12-12-2022, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post

A re-encode step has returned.

But they don't say if this is a work around, or permanent "new feature. ". HOWEVER that wording appears to be exactly what they typed in the release notes for 5.0.0.8 when Re-encoding step was added to work around that DRM change.

So I'm hoping it's temporary again like last time.
                    I hope so, since the selections I could still download in 1080p from Prime with 6.0.0.5 start out as 1080p with 6.0.0.7, then immediately reduce to 240p before they fail to download.

Everything that failed to download from Prime with 6.0.0.5. will only download as 480p with 6.0.0.7., so that's not worth it for me. I re-installed 6.0.0.5 to get 1080p from whatever's available.

Anyone else who's upgraded to 6.0.0.7. by downloading the file from the site find that it overrides their current version as a brand new installation, including needing authorization? And of course deleting all queues and download history.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-12-11 20.31.29.png Views:	2 Size:	100.1 KB ID:	418921
                    Last edited by artsunlimited; 12-12-2022, 03:17 AM.

Comment

If I feel that something could be helpful or informative to someone, I'll probably post away.
                      Mike,
                      You know I fully believe in that. I love helping out although I have no intentions of doing it here anymore. Thanks, Chameleon. There's a big difference between helping out someone that doesn't understand something and writing a daily journal of everything that you've done on the computer that day whether it pertained to StreamFab or not. I consider you a friend here and I thought it was appropriate to tell a friend that, in my opinion, your helping was expanding out in ways that weren't particularly helpful to the situation. If you really feel they are a benefit to the other users here (and some have said so) then I take back what I wrote and apologize for the disruption. Peace...OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Cats4U View Post

Mike,
                        You know I fully believe in that. I love helping out although I have no intentions of doing it here anymore. Thanks, Chameleon. There's a big difference between helping out someone that doesn't understand something and writing a daily journal of everything that you've done on the computer that day whether it pertained to StreamFab or not. I consider you a friend here and I thought it was appropriate to tell a friend that, in my opinion, your helping was expanding out in ways that weren't particularly helpful to the situation. If you really feel they are a benefit to the other users here (and some have said so) then I take back what I wrote and apologize for the disruption. Peace...OUT.
                        I hope you'll reconsider and not let one person's sniping speak for all of us. If it weren't for you giving us that warning, we'd all have been caught flat-footed with this change, without an opportunity to grab content that might not be available in future. I know you've had a two-day internet outage & might not have read all the comments in that thread, but I'm not in the minority here in stating that we're grateful that you had all our backs here. I hope you'll continue to contribute to this forum as I've yet to find one of your comments unhhelpful.

Comment

Hi,

The re-encode mode is the temporary video download solution when the streaming service upgraded the Widevine DRM encryption, and the download mode will be used again after we support for the new Widevine.

Wilson
                          Please post your logs the default location is:
                          For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                          For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                          If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

I *think* this "re-encode" mode may mean a re-visit/modification of that StreamFab faq, but IMHO they were already doing re-encoding per the statement of adding identifiers to the files for tracking per attachments of StreamFab Statements.

I'm not saying they did this, StreamFab said they were doing this in previously worded statement and I would think by saying they added that, it's a "re-encoding".

The did modify the Statement after it was pointed out, but didn't address whether the deleted information from the Statement was still being done.

(attachment one - previously worded Statement)
                            (attachment two - Current Statement after above was pointed out & questioned.)​
                            Hi,

As I said before, the output file does not include any your DVDFab account information in the download mode or re-encode mode.

Wilson
                            Please post your logs the default location is:
                            For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                            For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                            If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post

Hi,

As I said before, the output file does not include any your DVDFab account information in the download mode or re-encode mode.

Wilson
                              Hi Wilson Wang,

To be clear.

1. The Statement currently at: https://streamfab.com/statement.htm per below is no longer accurate since it is in regard to a deleted sentence that was in between and StreamFab does not include the customer/account ID in the metadata of the files?:

"Therefore we took one step further to help anyone who's willing to share content to think harder before deciding to do so. (deleted sentence below) For our majority of users, that understand that the files are strictly for personal use, that piece of info has no importance since the files never leave their own personal storages."

2. Deleted sentence.

"We've included the customer/account ID in the metadata of the files extracted from streaming platforms."

Correct?

Thanks!

Mike
                              Last edited by Mike_M; 12-12-2022, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X