Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

StreamFab v6.1.0.0: Amazon and HBO Max 1080p!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpp72 View Post

Where did you get this? Isn't that just the Widevine Certification for your hardware device?

L3 is Software based DRM where the decryption happens in the browser.
    L2 and L1 are hardware DRM

Chrome only has L3 and can play 1080p so i am confused here...

EDIT: Ya it mentions devices and apps so that is most probably for actual phones, tablets, dongles and TVs.

Those resolutions don't apply to Chrome/Browsers...

jpp72....

You are correct. Widevine Levels only account for security. L3 being the least secure and L1 being to most secure. Any device can play ANY resolution
    dependent upon the wishes of the content provider / producer. So no matter the device, if the provider wishes to allow 4K with L3, they can. If they wish
    to only allow 480p in L1, they can.

Widevine L1

Widevine L1 is the highest level of security in Widevine. Here the security is at the hardware level. Most modern Android devices support Widevine L1 but still, there are a considerable number of devices with L3 security.

Many movie platforms like Netflix purposefully restrict full HD playback to only L1 devices. This is due to the fact that L1 devices can block screen capture with 100% security in mobile apps.

Though this decision of basing the quality of video on Widevine security level, is a sole choice of platform/content provider and there are no compulsory rules around it. Many other movie platforms and course video websites/apps provide HD playback in all security levels.

For Widevine L1, TEE does all the video decryption, decoding, and processing.
    Last edited by jimc115; 12-22-2022, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmcaw52 View Post

Me too! But it's still showing as 544p in the video properties!
      Define 544p. If its 1280x544, that is just a 2.35:1 aspect ratio 720p.

while 1280x720 is a 1.78:1 (or 16x9) aspect ratio 720p.

Comment

Originally posted by jimc115 View Post

Widevine Levels only account for security. L3 being the least secure and L1 being to most secure. Any device can play ANY resolution
        dependent upon the wishes of the content provider / producer. So no matter the device, if the provider wishes to allow 4K with L3, they can. If they wish
        to only allow 480p in L1, they can.
        Thank you for this explanation. Now I know why I can play 4k content in my browser.

Comment

Working...
        X