Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITVX ITVX producing washed out blacks

Hi,
    Has anyone noticed that when downloading anything from ITVX, blacks seem washed out, looking more grey then black? After looking at the properties of the files, it reports using full RGB colors, shouldn't it be using limited colour space?

Thanks

Originally posted by Ninko View Post
    Hi,
    Has anyone noticed that when downloading anything from ITVX, blacks seem washed out, looking more grey then black? After looking at the properties of the files, it reports using full RGB colors, shouldn't it be using limited colour space?

Thanks
    I'm more suprised you are actually downloading from ITVX because nobody else can

Comment

Originally posted by whitesnake View Post
      downloading from ITVX ... nobody else can
      That's definitely wrong - see my postings in ITVX still not working

@Ninko
      ITVx really doesn't always have the best quality, but I don't use it that often.
      Can you give a concrete example?

But I'm sure that SF won't make anything worse
      (if not using old version with re-encoding)​

Comment

Germania Try downloading an episode of, The 100, and try playing it on a standard TV and your see how the picture looks washed out, the blacks look like greys.
        And if you check with MediaInfo your see that colorspace is set to Full, when it's meant to be Limited, this is the problem, standard TV is normally set to Limited colorspace.

Comment

I dl "The 100.s01e01" 720p AVC from ITVx, amazon de and netflix us

itvx: yuvj420p(pc, bt709, progressive) | Color range : Full
          amazon: yuv420p(tv, bt709, progressive) | Color range : Limited
          netflix: yuv420p(progressive) | Color range ?

(itv manually dl identical = unchanged by SF)

I don't know much about it - does anything change on the TV if you change it with ffmpeg
          ffmpeg -color_range tv (Colorspace support in FFmpeg)

Comment

So ITVX is actually providing full colour range?

It's my understanding that's not standard, full colour range is generally used on computer monitors and limited is used for TV, hence why many TVs can't display full colour correctly.

Could you see how it looks washed out on a TV, blacks looking grey?

Obviously if ITVX is providing that themselves I'm not sure if there is anything SF can do about it, unless they can change the colour range to limited during encoding? I didn't actually know you could change colour space using ffmpeg.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninko View Post
              So ITVX is actually providing full colour range?

It's my understanding that's not standard, full colour range is generally used on computer monitors and limited is used for TV, hence why many TVs can't display full colour correctly.

Could you see how it looks washed out on a TV, blacks looking grey?

Obviously if ITVX is providing that themselves I'm not sure if there is anything SF can do about it, unless they can change the colour range to limited during encoding? I didn't actually know you could change colour space using ffmpeg.
              see here on the colorspace support - https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/colorspace

Comment

Thanks october262 I've already read that, way over my head . I've not used ffmpeg very much.

Comment

> So ITVX is actually providing full colour range?

I checked "Sorry For Your Loss" and "Trigger Point" - both have Color Range: Full

> It's my understanding that's not standard

99% of my YUV videos is limited color range

I play on PC and TV is Dual-Monitor - my differences can fixed with contrast + brightness

To change color range i used:
                  ffmpeg -i The_100_S01E01_Pilot.mp4 -c copy -color_range tv The_100_S01E01_Pilot_4tv.mp4​

Comment

[QUOTE=To change color range i used:
                    ffmpeg -i The_100_S01E01_Pilot.mp4 -c copy -color_range tv The_100_S01E01_Pilot_4tv.mp4​[/QUOTE]

Does that actually convert the colour range, i.e. 1=black becomes 16=black or is it just changing the colour range tag, essentially still looking washed out?
                    ​​​​​ Thanks

Comment

I am afraid it's only "changing the colour range tag"

To convert i think it must re-encoded - see: FFmpeg: how to flag an H.264 video as in full color range?

test:
                      Code:
                      ffmpeg -i The_100_S01E01_Pilot.mp4 -c:v copy -bsf:v h264_metadata=video_full_range_flag=0 -color_range tv The_100_S01E01_Pilot_4tv+.mp4
                      Last edited by Germania; 02-18-2024, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I'll try it at some point, thanks, I don't mind re-encoding, but that's why I was wondering if SF should do this automatically as part of its encoding phase.

Comment

My last code change also pix_fmt from yuvj420p [0-255] to yuv420p [16-239]

> I was wondering if SF should do this automatically as part of its encoding phase.

SF leaves the videos unchanged and I think that makes sense​

Comment

Have you confirmed that code works then?

As for SF, normally I would agree, but full colour range, is far from standard, I'm not even sure why ITVX themselves are using it, I've not come across this problem with any other provider currently.

Comment

> Have you confirmed that code works then?

ffprobe confirmed me (my converted video)​

Comment

Working...
                              X