No announcement yet.

New Archgon MD-8107-U3 won't read 4K Ultra discs and can't downgrade firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Archgon MD-8107-U3 won't read 4K Ultra discs and can't downgrade firmware

I just purchased an Archgon external drive model MD-8107-U3 that appeared to be on your official list. However, it won't recognize 4K Ultra discs and I'm unable to downgrade the firmware.

Click image for larger version

Name:	archgon label.jpg
Views:	2842
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	388461
    When I open DVDFAB 12.0.1.5, it displays the following message:

Name:	UHD Drive Tool 1.jpg
Views:	2449
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	388462

However, we I open the UHD Drive Tool to downgrade the firmware, I get the following message:

Name:	UHD Drive Tool 2.jpg
Views:	2314
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	388463

First of all, I interpreted the info on your website to mean that this drive already supports 4K UHD. Secondly, DVDFAB displays confusing messages, first telling me that I need to downgrade the firmware but then (in UHD Drive Tool) that downgrade is not yet supported for this drive.

Can you please clear up my confusion on this issue so I can determine whether I should return the drive or hold onto it and wait for you to support the downgrade of this drive?

Regards,

Stan

So I have exactly this drive too and had no problems with downgrading the firmware. I bought it about a year ago and was able to downgrade it without any problems.

Comment

This is confusing for me too. I also have an LG UHD drive that DVDfab lists on their site as officially supported but the downgrade tool tells me it is not. I have been looking at buying this drive as a solution but I see conflicting info if it's supported or not. I wish DVDfab would get their drive support in line and accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by DonPromillo View Post
        So I have exactly this drive too and had no problems with downgrading the firmware. I bought it about a year ago and was able to downgrade it without any problems, but still with the 11 version from DVDfab.
        Doing a little research, I discovered a similar model MD-8107S-U3 (rather than MD-8107-U3) that is actually the drive referenced by DVDFAB as having official UHD support. Essentially, I didn't notice the missing "S" in the drive I purchased so I apparently bought the wrong one. Hopefully, DVDFAB is working on a solution to downgrade my drive.

Don, do you have the MD-8107-U3 or the MD-8107S-U3?

Comment

You can disregard my earlier post. I was able to find a patched LG Flasher utility that enabled me to cross-flash the drive from firmware version U100 to version 1.03. From there I was able to use the UHD Drive Tool to downgrade the firmware from version 1.03 to version 1.00 and my drive now supports UHD.

Comment

I'm glad that it works for you now. Incidentally, I have exactly the same model as you, MD-8107-U3

Comment

I believe you need the 'S' model. I just got the MD-8107S-U3YC-UHD model and it was recognized and downgraded. Works awesome

Comment

Originally posted by SG_Fab View Post
                I believe you need the 'S' model. I just got the MD-8107S-U3YC-UHD model and it was recognized and downgraded. Works awesome
                Thanks! I feared as much but, as reported in a subsequent post, it took a little bit more work but I was able to get it to work by first cross-flashing with the LG utility, saving me approximately $20 over the S model.

Comment

Originally posted by StanDiego View Post

Thanks! I feared as much but, as reported in a subsequent post, it took a little bit more work but I was able to get it to work by first cross-flashing with the LG utility, saving me approximately $20 over the S model.
                  Can you please share the tools I'm about to buy this drive and want to have everything ready to go I don't wanna be up all night looking for this stuff on web.i would much appreciate it thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by AceDaMack View Post

Can you please share the tools I'm about to buy this drive and want to have everything ready to go I don't wanna be up all night looking for this stuff on web.i would much appreciate it thanks.
                    Take a look at https://2mkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18873

Comment

Working...
                    X