This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about DVDFab and BluFab

I read the announcement, but I find it confusing, can someone explain this a little bit more?

In particular:
    1. Are DVDFab and BluFab the same (just different names for branding purposes) or will they have different features?
    2. Does a DVDFab lifetime license allow you to use BluFab?
    3. If DVDFab is no longer being sold, does that mean that all new features (not protection fixes) will be going into BluFab only?

As of today, the feature sets are identical and AFAIK always will be. To force a BluFab installation, you can try uninstalling DVDFab v9 first and a reg cleaning and reboot before running the installer (I have not tried this!). It looks for existing files to determine if it is a DVDFab installation. If you do the above, you may have to re-register it after installing. It is just a change in marketing, nothing more.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

DVDFab v9 Confused about DVDFab and BluFab

I'm sorry to say that I'm really confused as well, the 9.1.3.5 release installed BluFab leaving the previous DVDFab 9.1.3.3 installed; now we have DVDFab 9.1.3.6 which updates DVDFab to 9.1.3.6 but leaves BluFab 9.1.3.5 still installed.

Should I now uninstall BluFab and stay with DVDFab?

Also you say that as of today the feature sets are the same but does that mean one and not the other is going to have potential new features over time?

- Norm
      Last edited by Norm@Home; 03-20-2014, 02:59 PM. Reason: Other Questions

Comment

Yeah Norm uninstall BluFab and stay with DVDFab. They are and will be the same.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
          As of today, the feature sets are identical and AFAIK always will be. To force a BluFab installation, you can try uninstalling DVDFab v9 first and a reg cleaning and reboot before running the installer (I have not tried this!). It looks for existing files to determine if it is a DVDFab installation. If you do the above, you may have to re-register it after installing. It is just a change in marketing, nothing more.
          I did uninstall DVDFab9 and ran cccleaner to clear out remnants in the registry. After a restart, I did install BluFab and as you expected, I did need to re-register. I relaunched the program several times and each time, I received the attached "Live Update" reminder. It appears that the programmers are intent in ultimately forcing a user to accept a name change to DVDFab if they wish to update the program.

Regarding your last statement, I disagree.
          It is just a change in marketing, nothing more.
          While this may appear to be a marketing strategy (DVDFab.com to DVDFab.jp, DVDFab to BluFab and now, multiple named versions), to those in the U.S., these changes appear to be the result of recent litigation. As such, the names and domain are tainted.

If the DVDFab name will no longer be used for new customers, existing customers should be given the option to change to the new name as well.

My comments are not meant to be critical of the company or its staff. As it is clear that the marketing strategy is evolving, I hope you consider my suggestion and allow the end user to choose which product name to use.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Jeffie; 03-20-2014, 03:17 PM. Reason: add attachment

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            Thanks Signals,

I built a new computer last week so I had installed BluFab instead of DVDFab with a clean registry. I activated it like a new installation.

A few more questions (I'm sure this will help the other confused people as well):
            1. Am I correct in assuming that BluFab 9.1.3.5 is the same as DVDFab 9.1.3.6?
            2. Should I go back to DVDFab or just stick with BluFab since it's already installed?
            3. Will both items receive updates at the same time? Or will one be updated before the other (i.e. when 9.3.1.7 comes out)?

Comment

Count me in as another confused dude. After the initial install of BluFab, I un-installed DVDFab thinking all had to change over to the new name.

Now another DVDFab version is out. At this point I don't know if I have to install DVDFab again or if I can just update BluFab. I then go to the BluFab site and it shows version 9.1.3.6 but when you click on the link it is 9.1.3.5. I'm sitting at the computer and there is a question mark where my head used to be. I installed DVDFab again.

Then the last poster (Jeffie) says you evidently can't keep only BluFab if you originally had DVDFab.

So apparently the new customer will have BluFab and the old customer will have DVDFab. I have both now (again) and am hesitant to un-install one (again).

This decision baffles me. The company having two versions and always having to update two versions. Seems more complicated than needed. IMO would have been less complicated to just have one name.
              Last edited by Mike89; 03-20-2014, 04:06 PM.
              I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 (2x8) Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer 236H (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Crucial M500 120 GB SSD, WD 2 TB Black HDDs, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Comment

I did an update this morning and when I restarted the program with a disk inserted I got the message that the disk contained CSS protection and that I had to use google search for a DVDFab add on.

I went back to version 9.1.3.3 and was able to proceed.

Comment

Mike89 it's the legal world we live in. Ever read the US tax code?

Albert Einstein

Comment

To me, it makes sense that if the DVDFab name is no longer being used for new customers, we should all be using BluFab.

Note: MY previous post should have read bluFab.cn (not BluFab.jp).

Comment

If you've purchased DVDFab you need to stay with it. You'll find out why if you don't.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Stay with DVDFab. Further affiant sayeth not.
                        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

If an Administrator and a Moderator give you the same advice, it works for me.

Comment

Yep, me too. Looks like I'll have to uninstall BluFab tonight.

Comment

I just found out that if you had un-installed DVDFab (like I did), to go with BluFab and then installed the newest DVDFab again, it automatically un-installs BluFab.
                              I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 (2x8) Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer 236H (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Crucial M500 120 GB SSD, WD 2 TB Black HDDs, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Comment

Working...
                              X