DRM removal failures work around's and other oddities I have found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DRM removal failures work around's and other oddities I have found

I write this post for 2 reasons. To assist those of us having issues and give some good context of the issues so they may help resolve issues in future releases.

I have seen 3 seperate "Behaviors" when ripping, as a note I am successful at removing the DRM almost 100% of the time, I just have to work on it occasionally. All the following scenarios I am removing DRM directly from pre-downloaded iTunes files, these files are mostly 1080p.

Scenarios :
    1. Multiple removals : When removing DRM from multiple files at once it will go 4 to 10 in a row before getting "stuck" this is resolved by doing 1 of 2 of the following actions :
    a. Cancel the current job, then simply restart it
    b. Cancel the current job, start itunes, close itunes, restart the job

2.When ripping I have noticed the following behavior when successful and not.
    a. Successful - Will launch iTunes, then close iTunes, then open a iTunes player window which usually flashes closed almost immediately.
    b. Unsuccessful - Will launch iTunes then close, no player window will ever launch (see above to resolve)
    3. When ripping either Singles or multiples a "Failure" will occur the following symptoms will constitute a failure (this was using 10.0.8.0)
    a. The File will open the iTunes windows but produce an almost instant copy of itself in the same folder as the original, no player window will open, it will fail and attempt this 4 times each time creating an additional copy, until it finally skips to the next job (which will usually succeed)
    b.In version 10.0.8.1 and using the latest iTunes I found this behavior continues except now the copy is not instant and will create a copy dialog box which appears to be an iTunes box, clicking STOP will so far abort the copy process and allow the process to succeed, if you leave it , it will copy as previously up to 4 times and then fail.

One thing I noticed when troubleshooting but after I already updated iTunes to the latest version and upgrading to 10.0.8.1 the files that tend to "fail" would show up in iTunes as lost files, I am not sure if this was part of the bad behavior. I would "Locate" the lost files in the proper directories when example 3b would occur, I am not sure how that would have influenced the 2b symptoms.

Also I may be missing something and would love some suggestions but when I use the "Add from iTunes" options it gives me a full list of my items, if I check one and click ok it never populates a job, I have only gotten this to work using windows downloaded files.

Thank you!

Thanks for the extensive research and feedback. The performance of this feature seems to vary with the iTunes version being used, please clarify which one you were using for these tests.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

The last set of tests as described in 3 were using the latest iTunes released 12.7.3.46 I upgraded to that , I am not 100% sure what exact version I was on prior to that but I believe it was 12.7.2.58. The issues described 2 have been ongoing through several versions of both iTunes and DvdFab since I first purchased the product. I only just started keeping more stringent records to assist the community and development process.

Comment

Working...
      X