No HDD recognized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation No HDD recognized

I'have read all the hints in the threads but it's not working.
    My Movie Server is working fine, but he recognize no disk.
    First i've installed the disk in my windows10 computer. One Partition and NTFS Format as discribed in the hints.
    Than I put the disk into the movie server, the disk is spinning up fine (you can hear it) but if i go to video - there is no hard disk inside.

What can I do else?
    Is it maybe necessary to reset the movie server and to make all settings new?

The disk is a WD Green 2TB 3,5" Disk

The disk is new and has no errors.

Same

Have you heard anything? I have inserted a brand new WD Gold 8TB drive into mine and it says no HDD detected.

Comment

Hi impend69 - No I've heard nothing. In the meantime I reset the movie server - the same - No HDD detected.

Comment

Hi All, Movie Server could not detect the new HDD if it does not format to NTFS, EXT3 or EXT4 yet.

ekkifab, can it be shown as "SATA Hard Drive 1" in the Local Videos?

Wilson
        Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 07-17-2017, 11:06 AM.
        Please post your logs the default location is:
        For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
        For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
        If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Wilson,
          no the disk isn't shown. I get the message no hdd detected!
          The disk is formatted NTFS, as discribed.
          If i put it back to my computer i can write on the disk properly.
          Ekki

Comment

I was getting this same error. I formatted my drive using Administrative Tools and Disk Management. All three could be seen by my computer, I could even send files to them, but the movie server would not recognize. I got a Sabrent external SATA dock. I put one HDD in with the computer on and it said, "hey, do you want me to format this?" I am thinking, that was done. I allowed it to format it again, and put the newly formatted HDD into the movie server, and it is now recognized! Maybe use another manner to connect the HDD to your computer to format will resolve the problem. My dock was $20 from Amazon.

Comment

Hello Stitch, thanks - i will try and post the result.

Comment

My Problem is solved. The Solution is as stitch0852 discribed. You have to format the disk with long format (lots of hours) by the computer with an external adapter. Than the disk is recognized from the media server. It's difficult to believe because you can work with the disk with short format with the pc, only after long format the media server will recognize the disk also!

Comment

I've tried both ways but it still hasn't worked. I'll try the 10-hour format again and see what happens.

Comment

Hi All --

My HD got full, so now I decided to plug in new HD 3TB -- MS can't detected!
                    Here's a screenshot of the HD reformatted a few times!

J = new HD

Any other solutions?

Thanks
                    Ish

Comment

Well I installed a local drive only because MS complained. I used a 1TB that I had lying around. I partitioned it using Windows 10 and did a quick format. MS had no issues with recognizing it.

Perhaps it has something to due with the size of the disk.

Disks over 2TB cannot use the "legacy" MBR (master boot record) but have to use GPT (GUID partition table).

You would think the MS could handle drives of 2TB and up but maybe something is not yet right with the MS firmware.

A full format should not be required as MS should not care what is in sectors marked as not in use.

Frederick
                      Last edited by fcwilt; 07-31-2017, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I am having the same issues. I have a 1TB Western Digital drive. I have formatted it using long and short formats. No issues reading and writing from my PC but the MS does not detect it. I have also used both MBR and GPT partition tables. Still not recognized by MS. This is becoming more than a challenge and quickly becoming an annoyance. I have gotten nothing worthwhile from Tech Support. I'm running out of options and patience.

Comment

Ensure you are not using Admin tools. Use Windows Explorer and reformat. You should be able to use the quick version. Mine was recognizable to the computer but not the server. I put the drive into the dock and it popped up it needed to be formatted. I let it, problem was solved for me. If it does not, right click (in Windows Explorer) your drive letter and select FORMAT.

Comment

Originally posted by fcwilt View Post
                            Well I installed a local drive only because MS complained. I used a 1TB that I had lying around. I partitioned it using Windows 10 and did a quick format. MS had no issues with recognizing it.

Perhaps it has something to due with the size of the disk.

Disks over 2TB cannot use the "legacy" MBR (master boot record) but have to use GPT (GUID partition table).

You would think the MS could handle drives of 2TB and up but maybe s something not yet right with the MS firmware.

A full format should not be required as MS should not care what is in sectors marked as not in use.

Frederick
                            Just to let you know it does handle larger than 2TB. I used a USB dock to format an 8TB drive., installed in the MS with no issues

Comment

Hello Everyone,

It sounds like it's one of those moments that you need some luck for it to work -- Hopefully a future firmware update can remedy this issue!

Ish

Comment

Working...
                              X