No announcement yet.

No HDD recognized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no joy in Mudville here...I reformatted my 8TB drive using EXT3 (which the MS Pop-up tells me is supported) in case NTFS is causing the problem. No luck. I'd suggest that they include a "Format" option within MS, but if it doesn't recognize the HDD then it won't do any good!

Comment

Originally posted by KBabione View Post
      Still no joy in Mudville here...I reformatted my 8TB drive using EXT3 (which the MS Pop-up tells me is supported) in case NTFS is causing the problem. No luck. I'd suggest that they include a "Format" option within MS, but if it doesn't recognize the HDD then it won't do any good!
      Hi,

Format option within MS is a great idea, sir!

I suggest, if u don't mind, post here:
      <b>ALL:<span style="color:red"><b> NEW FIRMWARE v1.0.0.1 released 4 July, please allow it to update when requested</b></span>

Kind Regards
      Ish

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I did a long format one of my new HD, and no luck!

Here's an idea: Maybe it's a name brand issue!

Hitachi is the brand that I am having issues with!

Note down yours here just ot make sure isn't a brand name issue!

Thanks
        Ish

Comment

My 8TB Seagate works fine

Comment

Originally posted by Ish View Post
            Hello Everyone,

I did a long format one of my new HD, and no luck!

Here's an idea: Maybe it's a name brand issue!

Hitachi is the brand that I am having issues with!

Note down yours here just ot make sure isn't a brand name issue!

Thanks
            Ish
            maybe try watching a few youtube videos on how to format a hard drive - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=format+HHD

Comment

Originally posted by Ish

So, the question is:
              Why does it work for others, and not for some?
              Kind Regards
              Ish

Well Ish based on my experience it appears problems may have to do with the person using the equipment.

Many times my wife or daughter will report a problem with their computer and ask me to take a look.

Most of the time when they try to demonstrate the problem to me the computer works fine - much to their frustration. They claim the computers are afraid of me.

Frederick

Comment

We are working on formatting function inside MS, please be patient.
                DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
                http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by fcwilt View Post

Well Ish based on my experience it appears problems may have to do with the person using the equipment.

Many times my wife or daughter will report a problem with their computer and ask me to take a look.

Most of the time when they try to demonstrate the problem to me the computer works fine - much to their frustration. They claim the computers are afraid of me.

Frederick

Hi Frederick

That all depends, sir, how that equipment is being use - In this case, MS is a simple device, right -- plug in HD, and we expected to work out of the box! I think the hardest thing to do is turn it on!

Well, at least fengtao pop his head in here, and they're working on this issue, as we all knew they were! LOL

Take Care
                  Ish

Comment

Originally posted by fengtao View Post
                    We are working on formatting function inside MS, please be patient.
                    Hi Fengtao,
                    Thank you for the update, sir!
                    Ish

Comment

Hi Everyone,

After several days of trying to get my HDD recognized by the MS I found success by using several of the ideas from both forum members and DVDFab Staff. I hope this helps you get your HDD "found" by your MS. So, these are the steps I used on my Windows 10 PC and 2 TB Seagate HDD:

1 -Purchased a Sabrent SATA dock that has USB 3.0 (even if your PC has 2.0, as it is backwards compatable).

2 - With the new SATA dock turned OFF, put the HDD inside the dock.

3 - Attach the power cable to the dock.

4 - Plug the USB 3.0 cable into the dock and then into the PC (the 3.0 connector is different looking than the 2.0, but you'll figure out what goes where).

5 - Turn on the SATA dock and you will hear the HDD start spinning.

6 - On the PC, right click the Start Button and select Command Prompt (DO NOT CHOOSE the ADMIN Command Prompt, pick the plain one). This will open

a black background window with the following; C:\users\yourname> (the yourname info will be unique to you and your PC)

7 - Type: diskpart (all one word) and press ENTER. A new window will appear. In this new window type: list disk (note there is a space between these two

words) and press ENTER. A list of your HDD's will appear and they will each be numbered. Identify the number assigned to your HDD for your MS. So, for

example, if your HDD for your MS is number 3, you would next type: select disk 3 and press ENTER. You will then see a line that says: disk 3 now selected

Now, type: clean and press ENTER. A line appears that says the disk is cleaned.

8 - Type: exit and press ENTER (do this for both "black background" windows).

9 - Right click the Start Button again and this time select Disk Management. Since we just "cleaned" your HDD, a window will pop up within Disk Management

asking you to pick either MBR or GPT. Select GPT and press OK. Now, find your HDD in the lower part of the window and somewhere in the horizontal

depiction of the HDD do a right click. Choose "Create New Simple Volume".

10 - A Wizard opens an guides you through a few steps. Choose NTFS when asked. Choose all the other default values including New Volume (you can

probably change that later, but for now keep the default). Except, choose: DO NOT FORMAT. Finish the wizard, exiting to the PC desktop.

11 - Open up "This PC" (formerly called My Computer) to get a window showing your HDD's, DVD-ROM, etc. Find your "New Volume" HDD and right click on
                      it. Select FORMAT and then select QUICK FORMAT. When finished formatting, close the format window.

12 - You are now ready to disconnect the dock from your PC. First, go to the hidden icons button on your lower right of the task bar and press it to reveal

some icons for things like anti-virus, etc. Right click the icon that looks like a USB plug and it will give you the option of safely ejecting the dock. Choose

that option and wait for a confirmation message that it is okay to disconnect.

13 - Unplug the dock's USB cable from the PC. Press the power button on the dock to turn off the HDD. Remove the HDD and put that baby in the MS and

fire that sucker up! Let me know if this works for all you kind folks out there. Good luck!!
                      Last edited by Lt. Carl; 08-08-2017, 12:50 AM. Reason: Made a few grammar and spelling mistakes

Comment

Lt. Carl - I followed your procedure to the letter using a WD 1TB drive. It did not work. - got the message "No HDD found'.....

I did however get a hard drive to work - with the help of the DVDFab techs. They logged into my computer and after trying the simple stuff (format, etc), they downloaded a toolkit to my PC which allowed them to make changes to the firmware and software on the MS. After nearly 2 hours, I had a hard disk that was recognized by the MS. The bad news is I could no longer read/write to it when connected to my PC - Win10 said it was not formatted. Instead of undoing everything the DVDFab techs had done I replaced the drive in my MS - it still works. I had an identical drive that I used for your step-by step.

I think my (our) best approach is to wait for DVDFab to add a Format option to the MS.

RIck

Comment

Rick, sorry this didn't work for you. Maybe the fact that it is a 1TB drive, it might need MBR instead of GPT. That's just a hunch on my part. I'm glad that DVDFab helped you out. Yes, I agree that DVDFab needs to help us out with a format ability within the MS. Good luck with your MS and keep me posted on your progress.

Carl

Comment

New firmware and an app update are available, please apply them, then try formatting your HDD from within Movie Server's Disk manager and see the results.
                            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                              New firmware and an app update are available, please apply them, then try formatting your HDD from within Movie Server's Disk manager and see the results.
                              Hi All --
                              I can't use the HD that was an issue, because decided to use has a master back up, however, I am curious to know if this worked for those having issue!
                              Please let us know!

Thanks
                              Ish

Comment

I've installed the new firmware. Now, every time the MS boots up to the main screen it pops up a message stating "A new hard drive is detected, would you like to refresh the movie library now?"
                                I take the OK option and the movie list on the internal HDD is being refreshed. If I cancel out of this instead of taking the OK option things get worse. When I try to open my main movie list I get a new message saying " It appears that you are running short of movies in the media library. the message continues on to say I can make copies via DVDFab. At this point I cannot see my internal movies at all unless I shut down and answer OK on the next boot.

Comment

Working...
                                X