Hard Drive Overheating Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Drive Overheating Issue

I am having an overheating issue with the hard drive in the MS. Yesterday the MS worked flawlessly for most of the day. I went to bed and this morning the drive was hot and the MS was unresponsive. I turned it off and tried to eject the drive but it was too hot to touch. It has done this a few times before but I thought the most recent update to the MS solved the problem. The drive is a Seagate IronWolf NAS 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM SATA Desktop Internal Hard Drive (ST8000VN0022). The drive doesn't overheat when I have it in an enclosure connected directly to my laptop so it seems to be something with the MS.

Which version of the firmware do you have? My internal 2TB drive gets warm (114oF) but not really hot. Make sure the bottom air vents are not blocked and the area around the MS has good airflow. If you have an IR thermometer, check the temp when you pull it out.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by gg4 View Post
      I am having an overheating issue with the hard drive in the MS. Yesterday the MS worked flawlessly for most of the day. I went to bed and this morning the drive was hot and the MS was unresponsive. I turned it off and tried to eject the drive but it was too hot to touch. It has done this a few times before but I thought the most recent update to the MS solved the problem. The drive is a Seagate IronWolf NAS 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM SATA Desktop Internal Hard Drive (ST8000VN0022). The drive doesn't overheat when I have it in an enclosure connected directly to my laptop so it seems to be something with the MS.
      Hello,

Just my 2 cents, dealing with HD's ... is it new? or an old HD you formatted?

From a PC point of view some HD will tend to work harder if they are old, because they have been overuse some many times, hard drives becomes like a car ... the more the tire and ware, the harder they work ....

Also, like Signal's suggestion... have the MS out in the open... if it's inside an entertainment center it will lack the air support!

As an experiment try two things:

1. Plug in another hard drive to verify the real issue!

2. Use same hard drive, and place a fan hitting it!

This should clear up what's causing your heat issue!

Good Luck
      Ish

Comment

I guess you missed my previous post about my extremely hot drive. I believe drives with high platter counts just get too hot in the enclosed space with no air flow. I use a NAS for storage so the I just stuck a 2.5" 500gb drive into a caddy and install it, very low heat.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try. It is a brand new drive and the MS is on my coffee table so no ventilation issues. I even put a laptop cooling fan underneath it. The fact I used the MS fine for 8+ hours while ripping a lot of DVDs and then all the sudden it failed in the middle of the night when nothing was (or should be) using it leads me to believe it is a software issue (e.g. not spinning drive down when in standby, a hanging maintenance process constantly reading/writing drive, or something like that). I'm using firmware 1.0.0.2 but had the issue with 1.0.0.1 as well.

Comment

I may be mistaken but I believe there is no airflow into the hard drive cage area on the units. Unless you rig a way to keep the bay door open and direct a fan onto that... even then you won't get much flow over it since a 3.5" drive takes up nearly all the space.

Comment

Working...
            X