Duplicate Movie Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General/Other Duplicate Movie Names

Thee is something very wrong. I have multiple movies of the same name and different year. Each iso has a different name. MS puts them both together in a "compilation - the blue circle with a digit). Both are shown as part of a collection. The suggestion bu "Signals" to delete the collection information does not work. I can't find any way to separate them into 2 distinct movies. Any change to name of 1 changes the other. This is not acceptable. I tried deleting them and re-ripping them to no avail. I also tried using the "meta" file to no avail. In fact, the meta file doesn't seem to serve any purpose that I can tell as MS works the same with or without it.

How do I fix this problem?

I have undun two groups of movies that MS had put in collections and it DOES work--it may not work for you, I have no idea why. Perhaps because the ones I did all had different titles. Try giving them different names as you create them. If you rename them from your PC, you must click Save in the lower right before making any other changes. Different steps followed in the process?
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Signals,

Many movies have the same name but different release dates, e.g. King Kong, 1933, 1976, 2005. In the TMDB.org database using the title and date such as King Kong (1933) or King Kong (1976), etc. will bring up the correct info every time. The Mede8er media servers use this technique for scraping from TMDB.org and the correct metadata, cover art, movie description, etc is downloaded for the movie wall and individual movie data. Here is a link to a short turorial on the technique they use: http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_X3_mo..._guide_V3.html. As I understand it Mede8er has ceased production since the Realtek 1186 chip they used is no longer available. Perhaps DVDFab could adopt their scraping method as it is much more accurate than the current scraper used. Also, in the Mede8er database I am able to categorize and display my movies however I want such as SciFi, Drama, Comedy, etc. which I can't with the DVDFab database. I have a large collection of movies on four 8TB drives in a Mediasonic external drive enclosure connected to the MS USB3.0 port which I can't display or search by category (genre, date, etc.) and keep finding mistakes made by the DVDFab scraper.
      Last edited by DDoyle; 08-22-2017, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I have tried Signal's technique, following it to the letter, without success. But in this case, both movies have the same name "Supernova", one from 2000 and one from 2005 with different plot and cast. I suspect the problem is from MS not scanning or using all the information to distinguish the 2 movies. The .iso file names are different, so MS must be relying upon the scraper movie name which is returned and thinks it is a duplicate.

I have found some items that may be of help in tracking the problem and I have found a solution for the brave. Movie information can be found in the db in 2 tables of interest, tbMovieEx and tbVideosFile. In my case, both movies are listed in tbVideosFile, but both have the same idMovie key which is also found in tbMovieEx which only lists 1 movie of the name with the id. I think the idMovie value is a primary key in the tbMovieEx table. Every attempt to separate the 2 movies or change them in any way failed.

In desperation, I found a work around. First delete the movies in MS Manager. It required 2 attempts on my part to clear both of them. In the tbVideosFile table, there is an entry - iRecycleFlag. That value is set to "1" for a deleted movie. I found both movies were deleted. I then set the flag for one movie only, to "0" indicating is was not deleted. Next rescan in MS Manager. Then use the matching and editing icons to set the movie to the correct movie. Rename the movie in the editor to a unique name - I used "Supernova 2005". After a rescan, this movie was now properly listed. Then look for the other movie in tbVideosFile and also look for a new movie. By leaving the delete flag set, MS could not use the name of the second movie on rescan, but found the .iso file, so in my case it created a new entry that matched part of the .iso name. I left the original movie delete flag set to "1". Then in MS Manager I found the new movie name listing and using the icons, was able to match that to the correct movie and named it uniquely in the editor - in my case "Supernova - 2000" and save and rescan. I now have both movies working correctly.

It would be very helpful if we knew what meta attributes are recognized and how MS structure treats movies and TV multi-disc situations.

It would also be helpful if we could rename each disc from DVDFab when copying to set the attributes. For instance, for muti-disc movies, appending "_DISC1" or the suitable number (2,3,4, etc) solves some problems with the discs showing up as unique numbered discs. Abbreviated entries such as d1, d2, etc. don't work.

Sorry for the length. - Duane

Comment

I have also mentioned this in a previous post, it seems that the year is not being fully taken into account.

Originally posted by ThemaV6 View Post
          For example I have 2 versions of the film Insomnia, the 2002 American remake and the original 1997 Norwegian version.
          When you do the update BOTH get changed.

I have been looking at the underlying SQLLite database and have spotted an obvious issue.
          The MS's database is linking both movie files to the same movie. The matching or search rules appear to be ignoring the year.

See the SQL output below:

select idfile, strpath, strname, strscrapername, strscraperyear, idmovie from tbvideosfile where strname like '%insomnia%';

idFile strPath strName strScraperName strScraperYear idMovie
          573 /mnt/sata/sata2/DVDFab/G-I/Insomnia 2002.iso insomnia 2002 insomnia 2002 487
          574 /mnt/sata/sata2/DVDFab/G-I/Insomnia 1997.iso insomnia 1997 insomnia 1997 487

select idmovie, moviescrapeid, iyear, strtitle from tbmovieex where strtitle like '%insomnia%';

idMovie MovieScrapeId iYear strTitle
          487 320 2002 Insomnia

If the year (when available) was included in the matching rules this would resolve the dozen or so movies that have this same issue.
          Another example being Friday the 13th. I have the 1980 original and the 2009 remake, both showing as the 2009 version.

Comment

Thanks ThemaV6 - glad to see I'm not the only one looking at the db. Sorry I missed your post or I would have replied to it. I think MS should look at the .iso name as a primary because we are unlikely to have 2 or more duplicate filenames. Entering an ID for each unique filename will assist the scraper search, but avoid the present problem. I agree the year would help. I prefer some control and if I know MS will look to the filename, I can control it. (That assumes we are given a list of the META attributes and format that MS will recognize and if DVDFab will let us rename the DVD when copying onto MS.)

Comment

To me it should at the very least have 1 [tbMovieEx] row for each [tbVideosFile] which you can then edit and group to your hearts content without affecting anything else. I am sure there is a reason why it was done this way but I can't think what it may be. Having it this way would also enable changing the name to identify, for example, bonus discs.

The only way I have resolved it is by manually creating a movie row with data gleaned from https://www.themoviedb.org/ and imdb. and linking the file to it.

Comment

Working...
              X