Network Movies have to be readded after shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request Network Movies have to be readded after shutdown

When the movie server is shut down and rebooted all network connected drives have to be scanned again to load back into movies section. This is an absolute hassle and should not happen. Can this please be fixed? I do not want to have to leave on my movie server and have it fail early because of this. Thanks

Have to agree
    I don't use the internal hard drive as I've 14 network hard drives all connected to my network
    Well over 2000 films, and like you say it's a nightmare when your machine needs to keep scanning and adding the movie covers time and time again.
    There needs to be a way that it works like Plex and scans for changes in the directories and updates your movie list without scanning the lot again.
    Also having multiple storage devices is a pain when you have so many to check when looking at your collection.
    There should be 1 default section that takes them all.
    Would be much better all round.

Comment

tiger21 and Steveo,

Please clarify if you want the NAS-stored content to remain in the Wall even if the NAS is not active or the network is unavailable. If there was a switch in Settings that prevented a full network re-scan on powerup would that be enough? Seems that to scan for changes to be found it would need to at least reach out and touch all storage at each restart anyway. Steveo, clarify what you mean by this: "....There should be 1 default section that takes them all....". Thanks for the feedback.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I should be able to have whatever drive attached, usb or network computer, or NAS always show up in my movies section. These are always on connections, if by chance my computer is not on, it should just say movie is not available at ( whatever location) and ask to delete or keep. Lets say I have already added all my new drives and done a complete scan and fixed all my posters on my wall and set it up to show on my movies section. I should be able to turn off my server then come back and turn it on and see all of my movies exactly how they were when I turned it off. The update scan button on the movie section should only scan for changes and add those changes to the server, like adding another movie that I put in, or ask if I want to delete a movie it no longer detects. My HTPC I had could do this without a problem. This should be able to do this as well. I had all of my movie posters and everything fixed. Now I have to go back and redo a lot of them. This is about my 7th time doing so. It is getting to a point where it is not worth the hassle.
        It should not rewrite every item every time.

This is time consuming and causes emotional pain to those of us that have to go fix the problems it creates.

Comment

Understood. Good feedback, thanks.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by tiger21 View Post
            When the movie server is shut down and rebooted all network connected drives have to be scanned again to load back into movies section. This is an absolute hassle and should not happen. Can this please be fixed? I do not want to have to leave on my movie server and have it fail early because of this. Thanks
            This is the very reason my Movie Server is sitting on a shelf in a closet right now. I was using an external USB drive to store my movies, but if I shutdown the movie server I had to go thru process all over again to connect to usb drive and scan movies. Unacceptable and a total fail for "wife acceptance factor". I'll just keep checking this board hoping a future update will remedy this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipeliner View Post

This is the very reason my Movie Server is sitting on a shelf in a closet right now. I was using an external USB drive to store my movies, but if I shutdown the movie server I had to go thru process all over again to connect to usb drive and scan movies. Unacceptable and a total fail for "wife acceptance factor". I'll just keep checking this board hoping a future update will remedy this problem.
              Hi Pipeliner
              This is a complicated problem
              After the player is restarted, the path to which the USB device is mounted sometimes changes
              We have tested four disk hard disk box,
              HDD1 HDD2 HDD3 HDD4
              Sometimes it mounts the path for usb1 usb2 usb3 usb4.that's the right order.
              Sometimes for usb2 usb4 usb3 usb1 and the order after each reboot is random
              Depending on which disk is recognized first by the android system.
              So the hard disk need to be rescaned
              sorry for my poor english.

Comment

In my experience EVERY external device (USB, network) is re-scanned each time the servers starts. You do get a disclibrary.xml created in a .DVDFab folder which contains a library name tag <libraryname>Removable Disk 1</libraryname> which I believe it uses internally and should be unique across all the devices.

The main problem is the re-scan. It should ideally be using this tag to instantly recognize the source and then presenting you with what it knew was on it last time and then refresh in background (like it does for internal drives).

This is the reason I don't have it scanning external devices and just navigate manually to what it is I want.

Comment

Working...
                X