Wall Posters Populating Onto New Formatted Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request Wall Posters Populating Onto New Formatted Hard Drive

Wondering if I am the only one that has ran into this issue with the movie server loading wall posters from a previous hard drive onto a newly formatted blank hard drive? I have gone through all the forum pages and comments for help and do not see any reference to this issue. For example, I am using a 2TB hard drive and have loaded close to max movies on it so far and it is around 369 movies on it with only 29GB left on it and I will not be able to put any more movies on it very soon. I have 3 other 2TB hard drives I am planning on using in the future to put additional movies on as needed. When I put one of the new formatted drives in the movie server it puts all the wall posters (369 of them) on to the new drive from the old drive. Checked the wall posters on the internet through DVDfab10 movie server and they show up there also. Pulled the new hard drive and checked it on my PC from windows on an external drive and the DVD folder is empty and showing that I have 1.85TB available space left. Those movies are physically not on the drive even though the movie server is showing that they are, there must be some type of memory cache the movie server uses that reloads the wall posters from disk to disk. This will be a huge problem down the line as when a person’s library grows from one disk to another and is huge, there is no way of knowing and remembering what movie is on what hard drive if it keeps populating all the movies onto one wall poster setting. Would like to know if there will a future update to clear the cache out from disk to disk to prevent it from rewriting wall posters onto new disk/hard drive. This is a big game changer for me because initially it was noted that we would be able to use and swap out hard drives without limitations like this, the only limitation was the max terabyte size of the drive, did not go with the max terabytes but if I knew I could not swap it out and be limited to the size of the drives I would be using I would have went for the max size hard for this movie server, seems like most of the people on this forum is using 6TB and have not reached this issue yet with maxing out their hard drive and using another one.

Have you tried using the Refresh option after installing a new drive? (up arrow from within the poster wall). I have not reached the full drive ceiling yet so have not noticed this.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yes, I have tried refresh & clear history and both of those does not work with clearing out the memory of the wall posters from one disk to the other. Movie server is allocating all the wall posters to one folder regardless if you are using a different drive. Seems the refresh isn’t really a refresh that works in this case, appears the refresh is working opposite in what it’s supposed to be, reverse engineering. Not sure how some people on this board can have 1000 and 2000 movies using this movie server, even 8TB could not hold that much, so I’m pretty adamant that when you reach full disk capacity using ONE hard drive for backing-up your movie library for the FIRST time/hard disk - they will run into this issue as I have with getting another drive to continue saving their movies to the movie server without the wall posters building up from drive to drive and not knowing what movie is on what drive. Think development needs to address this moving forward!

Comment

The other users with that many titles probably have NAS systems, many do. Try the new firmware, it may behave differently even though there is nothing in the release notes about it.

Please do not use boldface or colored/decorative fonts in posts.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Okay Signals, saw that there was a new firmware update this morning on the MS and will try it and update my status later. And I'm not sure why my post went to boldface for some reason after I typed it and sent it. Thanks!

Comment

I have over 400 DVD movies on a 6TB and haven't seen this problem although I did test originally with a smaller HD. I think the issue is recognizing the new HD. From what I have been able to tell, the posters are not stored on the HD. The database has entries for each of the movies, one field of which is the poster to be displayed. The poster picture is usually stored on a folder of the system. It sounds like MS is displaying all the movies in your database and not the content of the HD. Have you gone to the system functions and examined the listing for the HD? I don't know of a way right now to store the database on a HD and load it with each HD change other than manual. That seems like a lot of work, but you could backup the entire database, to a used HD. Then you could delete all the movies in the database and install the new HD. Then as you add movies to the new HD, save the database to that HD. Then every time you swap HD, you would need to copy the current database for that HD. To only display the movies stored on each HD, would need some way for MS to check and identify the particular HD and then only display the posters for that HD. It might be pretty easy to write an add-on if we were given access to the MS code - Hint - Hint.

Comment

DuaneS, I followed everything you said, thanks a bunch and all of it makes perfect sense to why the movie server is acting in this kind of behavior. And I appreciate you chiming in with your insight to what and why. Now that I see what you see, cool heads will prevail and I will try to work through this until development takes a course of actions to your Hints-Hints!!!! Even though it’s not an issue for you right now or for some others, this is a huge showstopper and I just want and need for this MS to work as released, not as a beta but as a full working unit without having to circumventing it with these work arounds! Thanks again for your insight, I am willing to try anything that makes sense in seeing if I can swap out these drives without issues!

Comment

New update did not work with wall posters still populating onto new blank bare bones empty hard drives and I'm not sure where this database for the wall posters is stored but do agree that it is not stored on the hard drive. It is somewhere buried deep in the movie server and I have not been very successful in finding the movie database folder. This is a known problem with DVDfab movie server and development is quiet aware of it because there was an update; a possibly fix for the movie server not being able to copy to another empty disc from the old disc as a duplicate. I made them aware that the update did not work and the problem still existed. They fixed the problem by removing the update on this site for the fix. (Dated back early Sept ). You do not need to get the hard drive to be full and at max to see that it will keep reloading the wall posters onto another swapped hard drive. Just try another hard drive and you will see. When I first was configuring my set up for this movie server, I did not want to go with max terabyte hard drives because the max for the spinning disc drives is a headache and people were having problems with it getting too hot, that was fixed in a update though. 8TB’s of movies is a lot of searching and work at max. Personally I do not own only disc spinning drives, all my hard drives are solid state, don’t think they make solid state drives over 2TB’s (I looked please help me out on this if there is), that seems to have killed me with this movie server because you need to go with maxed TB’s for your hard drive because you reach a dead end with being able to put movies onto a different drive with a lower terabyte drive when it reaches max capacity. I have 16GB left on this first 2TB drive, I'’m kind of done after 3 more movies now with it (one movie averages 5GB), I bought and would like to use the 4 other 2TB s solid states drives I bought as back up’s to use, not sure where I can use those extra drives now. Thinking that I put too much emphasis in being pro-active with this movie server in buying extra drives. These new firmware issues that they are putting out doesn't seem to be moving forward or at least it is not being addressed for a lot of these posted issues. Understand these guys can't fix every problem noted because every problem is different but throw a bone at us letting us know a change is in the works. I totally support movie server but if I don't get any support back, I"m a lost customer!
                Last edited by Down2Earth; 10-19-2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X